BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Worker placement games where you only have 1 worker. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking into this subject a bit with relation to one of my own designs. I own many WP games, but have never played any where you only have 1 worker that you constantly move around the board. I can only think of one game of this type, Le Havre. I'm hoping some of you may know of some others.

As a side topic, what do you all think of WP games with just 1 worker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Gallerist comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Harbour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kanban: Driver's Edition

still need to play it but when listening to the reviews/watching it played by Heavy Cardboard it looked great and something I think any fan of heavier games and Vital LAcerda should play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Puerto Rico not fall into this category? I know you choose a "role" and not move a "worker" but in the end both signify an action you can perform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiders of the North Sea

Place your one worker for an action and retrieve another worker for your second action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nantucket is also another small box, single worker game.

You may be interested in the growing mechanic, worker movement, where you have a worker on the board, and it moves around the board (following certain rules) and performs actions where it stops.

Istanbul and Yokohama are good examples of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colonists (depending on what ages you play)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabled Fruit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Western fits this description too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
Would Puerto Rico not fall into this category? I know you choose a "role" and not move a "worker" but in the end both signify an action you can perform.

Not worker placement. Certainly not using 1 worker if you want to defend it as WP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Barronmore wrote:

Nope. You have two and if certain conditions are met, you may also have a third.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heroesbane wrote:
Barronmore wrote:

Nope. You have two and if certain conditions are met, you may also have a third.

I stand corrected. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
odie73 wrote:

Not worker placement. Certainly not using 1 worker if you want to defend it as WP.

From the "worker placement mechanic" geek-page:
Quote:
More precisely referred to as "action drafting", this mechanism requires players to draft individual actions from a set that is available to all players. Players generally draft actions one-at-a-time and in turn order. If the game is structured in rounds, then all actions are usually refreshed so that they become available again for drafting. There is usually(*) a limit on the number of times a single action may be drafted in the same way for the same price. Once that limit is reached, an action can no longer be taken until a subsequent round or until the action space is no longer occupied by another player. As such, not all actions can be taken by all players in a given round, and action 'blocking' occurs.

Actions are commonly (my comment: but not exclusively) drafted by the placement of game pieces or tokens on the selected actions. Each player usually has a limited number of pieces with which to participate in the process.

Compare that with the role selection process from Puerto Rico:

Quote:
The player with the governor placard begins. He takes one of the role placards, places it face-up next to his player board, and takes the action allowed by the role placard. Then, his left neighbor takes the action allowed by that role placard, and so on around the table, in clockwise order, until every player has taken this action once. Next, the left neighbor of the governor takes his turn: he takes one of the remaining role placards, places it face-up next to his player board, and takes the action allowed by the role placard. Then, his left neighbor takes the action allowed by that role placard, and so on around the table, in clockwise order, until every player has taken this action once. Then, his left neighbor takes a role placard, and so on until all players have taken a role placard and all players taken the actions allowed by the role placards taken.

Maybe Puerto Rico is not the best example as the choosing player only gets to do the privilege exclusively while all other can perform the associated action. Nevertheless, my point is: With just one worker to place there is really not a difference anymore to a role selection that occurs every round and allows the owner to perform a specific action on their turn. Maybe Citadels is a better example as each action is unique to the chosen role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Perhaps Age of Steam, as each round players place their marker on one of the various special roles/actions (engineer, locomotive, etc) in order of having won the auction for turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
From the "worker placement mechanic" geek-page

Worker placement. As in you literally are placing a worker. You are not doing this in PR. Certainly not in anyway which interacts with other players. Citadels isn't either. What you are looking for is variable phase order which both are categorized as and neither are listed as WP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gallerist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Lengyel
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
The Gallerist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
odie73 wrote:

Worker placement. As in you literally are placing a worker. You are not doing this in PR. Certainly not in anyway which interacts with other players. Citadels isn't either. What you are looking for is variable phase order which both are categorized as and neither are listed as WP.

You could trivially play Puerto Rico by placing a meeple on a role and performing it, instead of picking up the tile and performing it, and it would clearly be single-worker-placement, yet be mechanically-identical to the game as written. Action Drafting and Worker Placement are, barring special rules, the same mechanic implemented in two different physical formats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre
(Also, as others suggested, the answer heavily depends on your definition of worker placement.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
matthean wrote:
odie73 wrote:

You could trivially play Puerto Rico by placing a meeple on a role and performing it, instead of picking up the tile and performing it, and it would clearly be single-worker-placement, yet be mechanically-identical to the game as written. Action Drafting and Worker Placement are, barring special rules, the same mechanic implemented in two different physical formats.

The three single worker, worker placement games that I am aware of (The Gallerist, Le Havre, Kanban) highlight their difference from role selection by not having a reset phase - instead you only free a role when you move your meeple to a new location.

On the other hand, the desendents of Puerto Rico (San Juan, Race for the Galaxy) highlight their difference from worker placement by having simultaneous role selection where multiple players can select the same role.

This leaves Puerto Rico in the boundary between role selection and worker placement - it gets to be role selection by predating worker placement and by physical implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not actually 1 worker placement, but I think about Ulm, where you put down one tile on the action board to be able to take two actions. You get many choices from it, and still you need to be extra careful where you put your one tile, so not to give too many benefits to other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Broadfoot wrote:
I'm looking into this subject a bit with relation to one of my own designs. I own many WP games, but have never played any where you only have 1 worker that you constantly move around the board. I can only think of one game of this type, Le Havre. I'm hoping some of you may know of some others.

As a side topic, what do you all think of WP games with just 1 worker?

Istanbul - one worker at a time, but leave a trail. Different concept of "turns/rounds".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, depends on how you classify WP. Does a rondel count? Then all of Mac Gerdts' rondel games qualify.

Imperial
Navegador
Hamburgum
Antike II

as well as

Glen More
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:
Santiago wrote:
matthean wrote:
odie73 wrote:

The three single worker, worker placement games that I am aware of (The Gallerist, Le Havre, Kanban) highlight their difference from role selection by not having a reset phase - instead you only free a role when you move your meeple to a new location.

On the other hand, the desendents of Puerto Rico (San Juan, Race for the Galaxy) highlight their difference from worker placement by having simultaneous role selection where multiple players can select the same role.

This leaves Puerto Rico in the boundary between role selection and worker placement - it gets to be role selection by predating worker placement and by physical implementation.

If a reset phase is a requirement of a worker placement game, then by this definition Agricola and Caylus don't count. Excluding Puerto on this basis is as valid as excluding it because it has VP chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.