5 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Core box painted with a few mods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andy phillippe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I picked up the core set over a year ago and have been painting on and off. I finally finished so I thought I would share the results here. I've never painted minis before but I think I've done ok so I thought I would share here.

I followed Sorastro's guides, because why wouldn't you? And I used similar colours for most figures. Some I have deviated because I'm too tight to buy every colour, especially glazes and shades.

I wanted to include markings on the minis themselves to identify different groups and figures rather than marking the bases as others seem to have done. I also wanted Elite figures to be identifiable vs standard figures where possible. I feel it is more natural that way. Also I chose to rebase the flying figures with clear acrylic for the same reason. If you squint, they almost look like they're flying.

There are many things I would do differently. The main thing I struggle with is keeping things bright and bold. I also tend to shy away from contrast. I think for gaming, I could do with being a bit bolder on that front. Especially given the subdued lighting in my dining room where we play.

But having said all that, I'm really pleased. And I'm looking forward to painting Jabba's Realm that the wife just bought me.

Heroes:

Diala

I am pleased with the detail on Diala but I was too cheap to buy the right colour for her skin and it ended up far too dark

Fenn

One of the later heroes that I painted and I think it shows. I chose a darker skin tone as I pictured him spending lots of time on spec ops missions on desert planets for some reason. I think I got the stubble and glasses down pretty well, though you can't see it very well in the pictures

Garkhaan

Somehow I managed to give Garkhaan a stupid Harry and the Hendersons grin. Not sure how I managed that. Apart from that I think he turned out well.

Gideon

I had fun playing with the mud splashes here and I think it works on the whole. The darker skin tone was tricky though

Jyn

I was pleased with the tone and brightness of the jacket and I managed to match the card art fairly well. But her face looks stupid and I failed miserably at getting a good shot of her pose

Mak

I think I overdid the glow effects from the visor but apart from that he was a fun character to paint

Luke

I made the same decision on the skin tone as Fenn (since Luke would have just left a lifetime under the twin Tatooine suns) but I really regret it. It just looks too dark next to the beige tunic. Apart from that I was happy with the shading here

Chewbacca

The only ally I picked up for the core set (since he was won in our campaign and I hate playing with tokens). I think I went too dark (although Chewie is darker than you think he would be). I added the mouse droid, made of green stuff, just as a little bonus

Imperials:

Stormtroopers

I wanted on-figure markings to identify groups and individual figures

White Squad

These were the first figures I painted and they look awful looking back on them. Contrast is really the big problem. Whites should have been whiter and blacks/greys are too light. I'm happy with the ID stripes though and I enjoyed adding a little battle damage.

Blue Squad

I'm happy with the coloured shoulders and although obviously not canon, I think they look pretty good. Again with the contrast though

Red (Elite) Squad

My thinking here is that the Elite units would be like real world spec ops units and be given freedom to customise their kit. So each figure has different markings

Billy

Sonny

Wilson

Engineers

Elite unit has red shoulders and different coloured 'buttons' on the powerpack. The whites are a bit better than the stormtroopers

Officers

The Elite figure here has black gloves and grey hair (roughly implying age/experience). I differentiated the remaining standard unitsby giving one ginger hair (inspired by Hux) and one dark hair with a five o'clock shadow (which would surely get him court martialed, but I digress). This was a nice figure to paint, no fiddly bits and I think they came out well.

Probe Droids

Nice easy figures to paint. One of them came broken off the base out of the box, which prompted me to rebase with acrylic, which I think works really well. The Elite unit gets a red lens, red lights and a slight bronze tint while the remaining standard units have different coloured lights

Royal Guards

Nice and easy. These are the only Imperial figures I didn't differentiate as I couldn't find anywhere to place markings that wouldn't ruin the sleek look.

Nexu
Standard

Elite

Really pleased with the Nexu. I went with some cheesy gore effects for the Elite, plus red eyes instead of black. Oh, yeah, she's also pouncing. Which looks awesome on the board.

Trandoshan Hunters

Elites get a bright orange, standards a flat blue. I couldn't be bothered with the camo or Bossk colour schemes that Sorastro goes for but I think this works ok. Individual figures are identified by chevrons on each shoulder

Darth Vader

Sooo hard to paint blacks! But I think the lightsaber and glow effects look pretty good

AT-ST
Standard

The chin gun arrived broken, so FFG nicely sent me a replacement. And what is one supposed to do with spare parts? Mod, of course. So the Standard build gets a diminished chin gun and a scratch built smaller side cannon.

Elite

The Elite build gets the supplied side guns but a beefed up chin gun. It's probably a bit big but hey, it's good fun. I had a lot of fun playing with the weathering. I was trying to keep it subtle but once you start it's very difficult to stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the elite probe droid, the stripes on the nexus and the use of chevrons.
I'd suggest only one thing: use mat varnish for most parts of almost all of the minis.

What would you say you learnt while painting this whole big set of minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy phillippe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think my bounce flash made the minis look more gloss than they do in real life. But I think you're probably right. Vader's mask is probably a good example. I thought it's gloss so 'ardcoat it. But it looks weird on the mini. And gives highlights where there shouldn't be. Stormtroopers are in the same boat. Carefully chosen highlights and crafted reflections look more in scale than gloss varnish on a 28mm ish mini. Physics probably.

I think my main take away would be to go lighter, brighter and higher contrast. For gaming in dim, booze riddled gaming sessions, subtlety is not highly valued. And in the same vein, probably worrying less about the minor details. Bright, fun, thematic is better than realistic and gritty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Barber

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow. Really nice job!! Unreal. I like the shadowing on the royal guards cloaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good job!

One thing though, the ATST gun was broken, so they sent you a whole new ATST?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.