Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Which do you prefer and why?
Since they play so similar which do you reach for when you are looking for this kind of experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play and like them both but I lean toward DOTR.

I prefer the theme, and to me, Pandemic seems more puzzly. In many cases the ideal move is obvious. In DOTR, while that's the case sometimes, more often there's an important choice to make and the thing you choose not to do could come back and bite you.

Both have variable player powers but DOTR seems more variable. The quest deck is a nice addition too which can add yet another challenging choice.

I enjoy the epic scope and feel of DOTR more.

NB - I have only played base game of both of these, no expansions.

For me, they are different kinds of experiences, though some of their 'skeleton' are the same. I prefer the DOTR type of experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the two, I personally prefer Defenders of the Realm, but I haven't tried it out on my current game group yet. I would go with whichever theme you enjoy more. Also, if you don't want to invest a ton of time into painting minis, Pandemic would be the way to go. Eagle Games does offer a pre-painted option on their site for Defenders, but that isn't cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for DotR...

I find it's just meatier than Pandemic. Also the theme, I love fantasy, and the old school art does fit for me.

Pandemic is good too, it was my wife's favourite before I got DotR. The elevator pitch I used was, it's pandemic, but with a fantasy theme, and more choices.

Pandemic is still king for the non gamers. Non gamers tend to shy away form fantasy themes, especially the old art style. The simpler gameplay makes it so easy teach too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Defenders of the Realm because it's two games that I love mashed into one; Pandemic (prime) & Talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends in part on your playtime and how much you like complexity - I find pandemic gets played much more often because it is quicker and less complex. I enjoy them both very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jimmontanus wrote:
Depends in part on your playtime and how much you like complexity - I find pandemic gets played much more often because it is quicker and less complex. I enjoy them both very much.

Seems to be a valid point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both (and flash point) and I enjoy all of them.

I think it really does come down to theme.
Where there are mechanical differences, these two are very similar.

When given the choice I usually pick DotR. Where my friends all choose Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody who preferred Pandemic wrote a review some years back detailing why, and I spoke in opposition explaining why I preferred DotR. A good, fairly detailed discussion took place addressing your title question: Distinguishes itself from Pandemic, but not in a good way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I've explained in other threadsn DotR "fixes" almost everything I don't like about Pandemic. Pandemic is much quicker, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DotR will always have my heart, but Pandemic Legacy was a much better gaming experience (IMO.)

Give me a Defenders Legacy, and I will be a happy, happy man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders Legacy? Why haven't we done this yet?!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I like the idea, but DotR is far too expensive for permanent board changes and limited life (in terms of gameplay). I'd much prefer campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralph: in addition to the fantasy theme, DotR adds a layer of randomness/unpredictability by using dice for conflict resolution. I like that myself, but some folks don't. YMMV.

My adult kids enjoy Pandemic, so I picked up Legacy, Cthulhu, and Iberia. Haven't gotten to those yet. They have yet to try DotR, but I think they'll like it. My only gripe with it is trying to find locations on the map, but that's a small complaint. Played loads of DotR with my game club buddies back home and always had a blast!

So my current answer is that I reach for Pandemic as that's what the kids like. Hope to broaden their horizons soon as I like my Defenders...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Which do you prefer and why?
Since they play so similar which do you reach for when you are looking for this kind of experience?

Both.

Slight edge to Pandemic. Shorter set-up and play time. I have kids and a career so that kind of thing matters but I own and play both happily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, check out the files section. Someone was kind enough to take a the board and make it easier to find things. It works very well and I use it every game!

yosemite wrote:
Ralph: in addition to the fantasy theme, DotR adds a layer of randomness/unpredictability by using dice for conflict resolution. I like that myself, but some folks don't. YMMV.

My adult kids enjoy Pandemic, so I picked up Legacy, Cthulhu, and Iberia. Haven't gotten to those yet. They have yet to try DotR, but I think they'll like it. My only gripe with it is trying to find locations on the map, but that's a small complaint. Played loads of DotR with my game club buddies back home and always had a blast!

So my current answer is that I reach for Pandemic as that's what the kids like. Hope to broaden their horizons soon as I like my Defenders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Soued
United States
Fountain Hills
Arizona
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hentzau wrote:
DotR will always have my heart, but Pandemic Legacy was a much better gaming experience (IMO.)

Prepare to be a "happy, happy man" in late 2018 or by the start of 2019. More news and info forthcoming in the first quarter of 2018! Rick Soued -- for EGG Games and Richard Launius
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Seriously? BEST NEWS OF THE YEAR!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so happy, a defenders legacy is finally happening! I really hope the strategic card battle system against the generals proposed in the troll alliance expansion is implemented in the legacy version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricks wrote:
hentzau wrote:

Prepare to be a "happy, happy man" in late 2018 or by the start of 2019. More news and info forthcoming in the first quarter of 2018! Rick Soued -- for EGG Games and Richard Launius

thumbsdown Absolutely worst news of the year! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricks wrote:
hentzau wrote:

Holy crap! I didn't notice the response! This is some really great news! Thanks Rick! (And Richard!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I feel they are both awesome games. I just like more options and I feel DotR offers that. When I want faster pace and more strategy pandemic hits the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yuk

Effort wasted on a legacy game would be better spent publishing expansion(s) already available from designer.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.