6 Posts

Tortuga 1667» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 player captain game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Gonz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game yesterday and my sister and I looked over the rules. My question is, if you are a captain and you want to attack, can you attack if you're the only one on your ship? Assuming that you can, you would have to play one vote card, for example a cannon, and hope that the top of the vote deck is a torch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
msg tools
badge
Caught you 'mirin'.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are precisely correct with your assumptions. You vote alone, you draw one for the vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hancock
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes, that is correct. It gives you a 40% chance of success when you're attacking alone and play a cannon (since the deck has 40% flames). In 2-player games I find that attacking is usually only good to do as a last resort. Better to control the treasures on Tortuga and view cards and force your enemy to draw undesirable event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Gonz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nxumdon nxumdon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this game worth playing as 2 player? I read the rules and setup the game but it seemed pointless as 2p...perhaps I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

nxumdon wrote:
Is this game worth playing as 2 player? I read the rules and setup the game but it seemed pointless as 2p...perhaps I missed something.

Well, the game is simply different in each player count tier... not better... not worse, but different:

- In the 2-3 player tier: The game is more of a Chess game, where positioning and taking smart risks is very important
- In the 4-6 player tier: The game retains some risk management, but becomes more about card management and persuasion
- In the 7-9 player tier: The game not only relies on persuasion, but also relies very heavily on teamwork and deception

(I derived the above from the "player count spectrum chart")

Bottom Line:

2-3 Players: You're playing Chess
4-6 Players: You're playing a team-based* strategy game
7-9 Players: You're playing a team-based* party game

* Except for 5, 7, & 9 player games where the Dutch player acts as a spoiler for both teams, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.