Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought it was brilliant - blew the cheesy 90s version out of the water. The cinema we were watching had a guy in full Pennywise regalia welcoming us - everyone was getting pics except us because we left our phones at home.

The kid actors were really good, and Bill Skarsgård was massively creepy as Pennywise.

There are a few changes from the book, notably the updated setting - the kids now encounter It in 1988 instead of the '50s - but nothing that detracts from the story. Plus it's chock full of little references that non-King fans wouldn't pick up on (Tracker brothers, a model turtle).

I definitely want to see this on the big screen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it last night. Liked it, but definitely felt it had ups and downs.

Spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The biggest backstory change was to Mike, and it's handled so clunkily.
His arc/theme only exists because of two expositional scenes; nothing else in the movie would lead you to anything else of him.

Really liked the changes to Stan. He's still probably the most undeveloped (besides Mike) but the moment he has near the end really sets him up for his decision in Part 2.

The biggest thing I missed from the book was that IT takes on the weaknesses of it's shape. I thought that was always a cool feature/weakness, and it's a bit disappointing that it's played over immediately to "we aren't afraid anymore, so It has no power."

Saddest part of the movie to me is that Part 2 wouldn't feature these kids (as much). I liked them all together.

Richie stole the show. His awesome moment was probably the most I've heard a crowd cheer in a theater in a long time.

I wish there had been some more out-there/recognizable forms for IT. Werewolf, etc. Although the painting was freaky.

I'm excited to see who they cast for the adults. Jessica Chastain seems like a lock for Bev with her previous work with the director. Bill Hader seems like excellent fan-casting for Richie, but I'm not sure how much 'star power' they want. Also, I guess I'm not sure if Hader can actually act or just be funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.