Popular Tags: [View All]
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too Many Bones is my first CTG game, and I adore it, which naturally has me investigating Hoplomachus now.

I've seen a few folks (Ricky most notably, Waverider most recently) who have both games saying Hoplomachus might still be the favorite of the two.

Without having played Hoplo, it seems TMB adds character progression & story cards but doesn't subtract, so I'd love to hear from folks who prefer Hoplo on why it remains their favorite and if I should take the plunge.

Since the battles are a one shot, is there more tactical depth for each individual play? Do you like that it comes out and plays quicker?

Thanks for any thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Hoplo and couldn't get into it. TMB on the other hand is so accessible and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I love Hoplo because it plays quick and it's almost all tactical decisions. It reminds me a lot of chess. Everything seems to be well balanced too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two posts above nail it: TMB is fun and accessible, Hoplo is faster and tactical and if you like chess, you'll like Hoplo. Also, Hoplo feels wargameish, so if you like wargames, you may like it, too. Both are beautiful and fun games, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
popmon wrote:
...Hoplo is faster and tactical and if you like chess, you'll like Hoplo. Also, Hoplo feels wargameish, so if you like wargames, you may like it, too.
These statements just seems so contradictory to me. I wouldn't call Chess "fast and tactical". So Hoplo is both similar to Chess and a wargame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoplomachus: Origins is much more accessible than Too Many Bones, in my opinion. My wife and I played it correctly on our first try and finished a game in about 45 minutes. Too Many Bones, however, involves a fair amount of referencing the rules and BGG each time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not clear what people mean by 'accessible' when applying the term to Too Many Bones.

Hoplo: Origins is far more accessible. Haven't gotten around to playing Rise of Rome yet so I can't comment there.

Yeah you can see that Hoplo and TMB share some DNA and mechanics, but they are very different. Hoplo: Origins has a drafting system and then also either a house rep system for two player or a great set of solo trials if you want to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.