Hide
7 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Remodel Card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linda Pollasch
msg tools
When you trash a card from your hand...is that only an action card and secondly, the card you purchase...can it be something other than another action card such as coin or victory point card?

thanks,
LinMcNab

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're using Remodel (in the thread subject), it says "a card" so it can be any card. Also, the card you gain can be any card in the Supply.

Compare that to Mine, which only lets you trash and gain Treasure cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what is causing you to trash the card. Most cards say "Trash a card from your hand" so it can be any card. However, Death Cart from the Dark Ages expansion specifically says you must trash an action card. Same for the Advance event card from Empires, it says trash an action card.

Moneylender lets you trash coppers specifically

Some cards, like Sacrifice from Empires, let's you trash any card, but the action you get depends on the type of card you trashed.

If another player plays a card that forces you to trash a card, it can be any card of your choice.

You can use your buy(s) to purchase any card type, even curses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:
You can use your buy(s) to purchase any card type, even curses.

wow -- played so many times and didn't know you can purchase curses -- always assumed you could not. Not that you'd want too regularly, but I'm sure there is a situation or 2 that might be advantageous (one being to take a VP hit to end the game early)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
wow -- played so many times and didn't know you can purchase curses -- always assumed you could not. Not that you'd want too regularly, but I'm sure there is a situation or 2 that might be advantageous (one being to take a VP hit to end the game early)

If you want to be mean, you can sometimes buy them and then trade them using Masquerade, I believe. It's a gamble, but it could pay off if done right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few reasons to buy a curse, but a few I can think of off the top of my head:

taking the last curse, or maybe two, to end the game quickly when you have an overall VP lead (assuming there are other empty piles.)

the Fairgrounds card gives you 2VPs for every five differently named cards in your deck, so using the curse with its -1VP is still a net gain of one.

Ambassador. You can use Ambassador to give out curses to other people.

Defiled Shrine (landmark) rewards you for buying a curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:
There are very few reasons to buy a curse, but a few I can think of off the top of my head:

taking the last curse, or maybe two, to end the game quickly when you have an overall VP lead (assuming there are other empty piles.)

the Fairgrounds card gives you 2VPs for every five differently named cards in your deck, so using the curse with its -1VP is still a net gain of one.

Ambassador. You can use Ambassador to give out curses to other people.

Defiled Shrine (landmark) rewards you for buying a curse.

BASE
--Fatten up your deck for Gardens

ADVENTURES
--help better trigger Quest (discard 2 Curses to gain a Gold)

EMPIRES
--Getting 2pts from Museum. Yes, the Curse itself is -1pt, but you come out ahead at a net of +1pt
--Getting a 2nd one actually lowers the number of negative pts you take (thus, gaining you pts) due to Wolf Den (-4 to -2pts)
--Emptying the Curse pile triggers Tower, which also makes them worth 1pt each. They still hit you with -1pt, but now you're getting pts back at least
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.