In the interest of what
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

posted earlier but with a slightly different spin.

Folks on the Right, what do you fear the most that is coming from the Right?

Folks on the Left will have their own thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's the lack of a vision. There is nothing that they want to promote or bring to pass right now. It's all just "if we take our hands off the wheel, wondrous things will occur." But I believe there is still a place for government to have a role, to help be a guiding hand in nudging society this way or that without dictating it for any group or individual.

One of the symptoms of this lack of vision is the refusal to acknowledge problems. Everything has to be denied. But all that does is deny conservatives a seat at the table when it comes to formulating solutions. Then all the solutions are ones of heavy-handed regulation or government takeover rather than enabling and promoting free market solutions or solutions which coordinate government with private enterprises.

Trump presented a vision. It was an ugly vision, but it was something that people could rally around, if you are for rallying around that kind of thing. Anybody else with a vision of any other sort could have had people rallying to them and cleaned the floor with Trump. But nobody did. Not any of the primary contenders. Not Hillary. Bernie did, but he never got the chance to square off head-to-head against Trump. I'm certain Bernie would have rolled over The Donald. So I fear that as long as the GOP is lacking in a vision aside from the total dismantling of government, they'll either lose or be held in the populist thrall of another opportunist like Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Endless wars against "the other."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
I care about immigration and tax reform, not gay marriages and other distractions (distractions in the sense that gay marriage is here to stay at this point so stop wasting time and accept it).
Do you thing gay marriage is something the Right should have been fighting for in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things I fear from the right:

1. The people who are extreme in their views and unwilling to recognize that compromise is the way to live together as diverse people. That does not mean that you have to compromise on EVERYTHING, but you at least have to be willing to compromise on SOMETHING. Nobody should expect to get their way all the time when it comes to laws, etc.

2. Our elected leaders will squander their majority because they have no vision (as GameCrossing said). This is their chance to show what their policies can do and I am almost certain they are going to throw away their shot (to reference Hamilton).

3. The anti-immigrant sentiment. I just don't get it. I think some people equate immigration with crime and poverty. We should be concerned about crime and poverty but those are separate issues from immigration. Immigration is part of what has made our country as great as it is. This is particularly concerning to me because I think it prevents a lot of people from looking at the rest of the conservative platform because they are turned off by the xenophobia. Immigrants who might otherwise trend conservative probably have a hard time looking past that rhetoric.

4. Elected leaders who cannot see their own hypocrisy in regards to claims about wanting a smaller govt and fiscal responsibility and then who pass bills that do the exact opposite. IMO completely undermines the fiscally conservative message and ruins its credibility.

Things I fear in general (not specific to the right):

1. The corruption and greed of our elected leaders.

2. Corporate and special interest influence in politics (see #1). The people in power do not have any incentive to change the way things work because they get a lot of money from the current setup.

3. People on both sides seem to encircle themselves in echo-chambers. There is hardly any respectful or civil dialog between people on the two sides. I have friends on the right who cannot see any wrong in Trump and friends on the left who could see no wrong in Hillary. Both views are mind-boggling to me. It seems self-evident to me that neither is the squeaky-clean saint that their supporters try to portray them as. How can there be any meaningful discussion when the positions taken are so ridiculous?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I see in America and elsewhere Conservatives being taken over by two groups, neither of which in my view are remotely conservative. The first is those who in lieu of promoting small businesses promote large corporations-- big business instead of small business. The second is the isolationist radical nationalists and outright bigots.

Conservative politics is being utterly discredited by those taking the mantle of "Conservatism" and using it against everything I see Conservatism championing. Being conservative does not mean one does not recognize the problems that face society but that one uses tried and true methods to incrementally bit by bit address those problems with a clear plan with pragmatic goals and guidelines along the way along with a definite means of paying for it all. Conservatism approaches tackling big problems by means of manageable small problems and addressing society by means of lots of individuals, as many as possible. Discrimination of any kind works against the public good. Big business benefits the few as opposed to the many; benefiting big business goes against helping little people support themselves so that they don't need benefits-- which is not to say benefits should not be offered when needed.

What I fear has already come to pass. Worse may well come. Those I think of as actual conservatives have no place at the table. Meanwhile those speaking in the name of conservatives seem to vary from greedy morons in the main to a few genuinely evil people-- who may be growing in number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.