Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how many of you, playing a live opponent have posted wins for either side. Comment here with which side you've won with and which Prop card (if you remember).

For me, I have

1 win as the French on the 3rd card. (This was our first game, and my FLN opponent wasn't paying any attention to the Support.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered a poll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I won the short scenario as FLN on the third card with a score of 28, higher than my French opponent. He did suffer from Peace Talks for about half of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Long Scenario:

1 Government win on 3rd Propaganda card
1 FLN win on final Propaganda

Medium Scenario

3 FLN wins on 3rd propaganda
1 FLN win on final propaganda

Short Scenario

1 FLN win on final propaganda

Unfortunately, I didn’t record scores for any after the first game, but the FLN is cleaning house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cezary Domalski
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 Long Scenario games, 5 Government wins. Three auto-victories in 2nd or 3rd Propaganda, two by final Propaganda victory margin but with no chance to FLN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred J
Netherlands
Wassenaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interresting poll. I just had two FLN victories in the short and full scenarios!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fleeson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I can't remember all of our games (we've played several scenarios and a few full games). The last two full games have gone to the final propaganda round. Win for FLN. Win for Govt. on a 0-point differential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 games, 1 short and 3 long, and 4 FLN victories so far.
Three marginal victories and one sudden death after the second propaganda.

Because of LONG pesky "Peace Talks" which lasted about 16 to 17 cards after an early first Propaganda, the Government was unable to assault during 3/4 of the game and prevent the FLN from establishing bases all over Algeria. With only the Neutralize threat, the FLN easily crossed the finish line with 36 VPs...
Lesson learned: as the Government, cancel that event at all costs :-)

As all games have been played against the same opponent, it could be a matter of "group thinking" but we find the Government faction more difficult to play.

We started with the full scenario and discovered the short one only after our third game.
We were surprised to see 5 Guerrillas in the out of play box. Given that only very few eliminated Guerrillas reach this box (1 out of 6 to 1 out 9), this means about 40 eliminated Guerrillas in 2 rounds. Unless the FLN is really reckless how can we do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thierry Aradan wrote:

Because of LONG pesky "Peace Talks" which lasted about 16 to 17 cards after an early first Propaganda, the Government was unable to assault during 3/4 of the game and prevent the FLN from establish bases all over Algeria. With only the Neutralize threat, the FLN easily crosses the finish line with 36 VPs...

It's a very good reason to hang onto your Coup card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
Thierry Aradan wrote:

Because of LONG pesky "Peace Talks" which lasted about 16 to 17 cards after an early first Propaganda, the Government was unable to assault during 3/4 of the game and prevent the FLN from establish bases all over Algeria. With only the Neutralize threat, the FLN easily crosses the finish line with 36 VPs...

It's a very good reason to hang onto your Coup card.

Running Total:

French: 8
FLN: 14

Long scenario
French: 7
FLN: 6

Medium Scenario
French: 0
FLN: 4

Short Scenario
French: 0
FLN: 4

Unknown:
French: 1
FLN: 0

Very small sample size, but it looks like the long scenario is fairly balanced and the short scenarios are skewing toward FLN. But it's tough to get a real good feel at this point given that each person reporting multiple games is reporting results skewed heavily to one side, which might indicate the results are more to do with group think (can a 2-player game suffer from group think???) than the actual game itself being balanced/unbalanced.

It would be interesting see someone that consistently sees the French win play someone who consistently sees the FLN win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fifth game today, and another FLN victory with 30 Vps at the end of the third campaign.
We nevertheless decided to continue the game to see a Government victory after the fifth Propaganda (net +1 VP).

The learning curve seems steeper for the Government, which must stick to its own plan and find the time to bring its forces onto the map to resettle sectors, protect cities, keep a close eye on commitment, while avoiding sudden death during an unavoidable FLN high tide during the second and/or third campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Hole
France
Angoulême
Charente
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First impression based on three plays with the short scenario : much more difficult to play the french (actions more complex, more pieces to move to the right places to be able to do what you want, and ressources so rapidly limited !). French victory seems very hard to achieve, but their learning curve is so steep it should take more time to play it well and be competitive against the Fln.

It seems the french is forced to play a war of attrition on ressources (at this point, again, may be wrong but last time I tried a hard military strategy during the first campaign which led to begin the second campaign with so few ressources it was soon obvious there would be no chance to catch up with the Fln, who starts to do so much more at that time).
Probably not using well all the french actions (not so much ressetled, very hard to use the assault which is so much better than neutralize with its oppose associated, and Pacify !! Just directing it to the neutral sectors for the moment as it would be way too coastly otherwise or perhaps in the late game to reduce oppose and negate victory points.

Great game but this difference of investment between the two factions is a bit hard as it is really demanding for the french player whereas the Fln is much much more relaxed in his gameplay. Anyway, this is thematic and I'll continue to try to tame this beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 long scenrio FLN win (32 Bases + Opposition at 4th Propoganda).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Zwinak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 wins for Govt. in long scenario
2 wins for FLN in short scenario

If you're FLN, lowering the Commitment enough in the long scenario seems tricky. Plus our play styles aren't really optimized yet; the first Govt. win was a learning game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Fox by Kyle Ferrin for the game Root (gif by BeckyTokens)
mbmbmbmbmb
Spamalama wrote:
Plus our play styles aren't really optimized yet

I think this is close to it. I've played 3 games, and even discounting the learning game, we've had a solid Govt win rate in the short scenario. Now, they are barely scraping by (2 pts and 3 points IIRC), but they are winning. No auto-wins though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.