Eric Spuur
United States
California
flag msg tools
My wife and I tried out the new Monster Box of Monsters expansion last weekend and we ran into a small problem regarding a couple of the new Dark Arts cards in Box 1. Both she and I interpreted how the two cards work differently from each other and so we don't know the correct way to apply their effects. I'm hoping we can get some help here about that.

The two cards are as follows:

Inquisitorial Squad
Active Hero puts a Detention! card in their hand. Then ALL Heroes lose 1 Heart for each Detention! in hand.

Menacing Growl
ALL Heroes lose 1 Heart for each card in hand with a value of exactly 3 Coins.

How I interpret both cards:
All heroes lose health based on the cards that the Active Hero has in their hands. For example, let's say Harry has one Detention! card in hand and Ron has no Detention! cards in hand. It's Harry's turn and he gets the Inquisitorial Squad card. He draws a Detention! card and now has two of them in hand. Then both he and Ron lose two Hearts.

How my wife interprets both cards:
Each hero loses health based on the cards that they themselves have in their hands. For example, let's say Harry has one Detention! card in hand and Ron has no Detention! cards in hand. It's Harry's turn and he gets the Inquisitorial Squad card. He draws a Detention! card and now has two of them in hand. Then Harry loses two Hearts, but Ron would lose no Hearts.

Which of us is correct? Or are both of us wrong and there's a third way to interpret how the cards work?

Any official word on this would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sir Grail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry mate but your wife it correct.

It should have said "Then ALL Heroes lose 1 Heart for each Detention! in their hand".

ps. i'm not an "official" source, but I've seen this in the forums before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Sorry mate but your wife it correct.

It should have said "Then ALL Heroes lose 1 Heart for each Detention! in their hand".

ps. i'm not an "official" source, but I've seen this in the forums before.

This is how I played it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.