Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loads of space games, but not all capture that sense of exploration and discovery.

Kepler-3042 is on my map, and likely what I'll buy, but anything else I should consider? Watching Rahdo's run through for Horizons (and my life long curiosity about Eclipse) motivated this post.

I'm not so interested in combat, just exploration and discovery. Combat can exist, but so long as it isn't the main emphasis I'd be somewhat curious.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X. This is my favorite along with the expansion - Close Encounters. It has combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Good Little Martian. A neat little pnp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving Earth

High Frontier is OOP, but I've heard good things about it

SpaceCorp is supposed to be published later this year and looks pretty exciting.

While I like Space Empires: 4X and Eclipse, their main focuses are definitely on combat and economics (respectively), not exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For run around and find things, I'm amused by Merchant of Venus (second edition). But I suspect that's not for you. Xia: Legends of a Drift System offers a mechanics that allows you to add the universe (map) and you can minimize combat.
More realism is found in Leaving Earth.

My favorite Space game is Alien Frontiers with the Outer Belt expansion. However, it is worker placement, area control, and resource management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say go with Xia: Legends of a Drift System. Modular tiles with open world style game play. There are tons of viable strategies for this game whether you want to be mainly an explorer, a pirate, a trader, etc, and all of them work to get you the victory. Plus there is no player elimination which tends to rub people the wrong way. Also it has METAL COINS and I love me some metal coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the thread title - I couldn't help but remember the line from this clip

Q: Who's the best superhero?
Stuart: Whoa, you can't ask a question like that in here, do you wanna start a rumble?

Seriously though - Eclipse would be my #1 recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Ascendancy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Frontier (3rd edition) is the ultimate space "exploration" game. Set in our own solar system and backed by sound science, it is as realistic of a space simulation on a strategic scale as you're going to get. It's set in a libertarian's wild frontier where players war for resource capitalization and marketing dominance. It seamlessly shifts from mission planning to corporate espionage and violent sabotage.

It's also out of print, prohibitively expensive, and obtuse. But if you really want a deep dive into hard sci-fi there's no better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Already answered. It's Leaving Earth for me without a doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Looking at the thread title - I couldn't help but remember the line from this clip

Q: Who's the best superhero?
Stuart: Whoa, you can't ask a question like that in here, do you wanna start a rumble?

Seriously though - Eclipse would be my #1 recommendation.

Stuart is a member here, maybe he can recommend a space exploration game too!

I think there are two types of response here, the serious Leaving Earth/ High Frontier type stuff and the SciFi Fantasy stuff of Firefly and Star Trek. Very different thematically so it might help to know which is preferable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
I think there are two types of response here, the serious Leaving Earth/ High Frontier type stuff and the SciFi Fantasy stuff of Firefly and Star Trek. Very different thematically so it might help to know which is preferable.

Agreed. Based on the OP's requested emphasis on exploration and discovery, several of the suggestions here surprise me. As much as I enjoy space opera and 4X, it doesn't seem to be what is being sought, but maybe I'm mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:

Agreed. Based on the OP's requested emphasis on exploration and discovery, several of the suggestions here surprise me. As much as I enjoy space opera and 4X, it doesn't seem to be what is being sought, but maybe I'm mistaken.

They mentioned Eclipse in the OP, so I don't see the discrepancy. Star Trek: Ascendancy places a huge emphasis on exploration and has a whole subsystem for orienting planets positioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Eclipse or Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition when the map is flipped over as new areas are being explored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
They mentioned Eclipse in the OP, so I don't see the discrepancy. Star Trek: Ascendancy places a huge emphasis on exploration and has a whole subsystem for orienting planets positioning.

Yeah, that makes sense. But OP mentioned a "curiosity" about Eclipse, so I guess I assumed it meant that they hadn't played it and were under the impression that exploration played a much bigger role than it actually does. I guess it's still unclear to me what OP s looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If PnP is not a problem, perhaps: Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora fits the bill.

It is a solitaire game, though.

(Actually, it is an old magazine game, but you can find a scanned copy at archive.org).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Ad Astra. No combat in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
If PnP is not a problem, perhaps: Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora fits the bill.

It is a solitaire game, though.

(Actually, it is an old magazine game, but you can find a scanned copy at archive.org).

This is a great call. I haven't played this game in many years, but I still remember agonizing over which gear to bring along when sending an expedition down to check out a planet. There's also a choose-your-own-adventure style paragraph booklet so a playthrough is full of surprises that aren't telegraphed by having read through the rulebook. I can't think of another game where the space exploration theme comes through more strongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Xia: Legends of a Drift System and for more tiles / exploration tokens get Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star.
Just drop the scoundrel NPC and fit out an optimum exploration ship .
You can even just shuffle the research , exploration type missions cards together to make a custom deck.
The asteroid fields and anomaly tiles will impact your routes in game.
It feels very sandbox and looks like you could mod it more easily than other games out at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.