Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Apocrypha Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lunatic's Amulet outside of Skinwalkers chapter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Durand
msg tools
The rules for Lunacy say it has no effect outside of the Skinwalkers chapter, so you won't add lycanthropy to your deck and it won't end up in your Halo. Lunatic's Amulet says "(Current Player) Sacrifice 1 Lycanthropy card from their Halo, then (player at this location) heal 2." Since that sacrifice is part of the effect, I can't tell if it's required to get the heal. IE: If I don't have Lycanthropy cards to sacrifice, can I still use it to heal 2?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think usually when you have an "X then Y" condition, you don't get Y if you can't do X.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've never taken X then Y to be conditional. I've taken it to mean you do X if possible, then do Y regardless. For example, I would let Ruby investigate after avoiding even during Along the Trail missions (which prevent her from moving).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GravenImageRD wrote:
The rules for Lunacy say it has no effect outside of the Skinwalkers chapter, so you won't add lycanthropy to your deck and it won't end up in your Halo. Lunatic's Amulet says "(Current Player) Sacrifice 1 Lycanthropy card from their Halo, then (player at this location) heal 2." Since that sacrifice is part of the effect, I can't tell if it's required to get the heal. IE: If I don't have Lycanthropy cards to sacrifice, can I still use it to heal 2?


When we want something to be conditional, we generally use the word "to" in running text. So if it said "Sacrifice 1 Lycanthropy card to heal 2," you could not heal without sacrificing the card. When it's "then," you attempt to do the first thing, then you attempt to do the second thing. So here you try to sacrifice a Lycanthropy card (and fail to do so outside of Skinwalkers), then you try to heal 2 (and succeed unless you don't have any cards in your discard pile).

As for lowering the cost of boosting by your Lunacy, though, you're screwed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Durand
msg tools
Quote:
As for lowering the cost of boosting by your Lunacy, though, you're screwed.


That was going to be my next question, does the Lunacy on my Enduring Fragments still count for that, and sounds like no. Thanks for clearing things up, Mike!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
F8alist wrote:
I've never taken X then Y to be conditional. I've taken it to mean you do X if possible, then do Y regardless. For example, I would let Ruby investigate after avoiding even during Along the Trail missions (which prevent her from moving).


But Ruby's text is not X THEN Y, her text is X AND Y "you may move AND investigate". Maybe I'm too much a computer programmer because when I see the word AND, to me that means both have to happen.

Dave
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inertia Kitty
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
DocSavage2001 wrote:
F8alist wrote:
I've never taken X then Y to be conditional. I've taken it to mean you do X if possible, then do Y regardless. For example, I would let Ruby investigate after avoiding even during Along the Trail missions (which prevent her from moving).


But Ruby's text is not X THEN Y, her text is X AND Y "you may move AND investigate". Maybe I'm too much a computer programmer because when I see the word AND, to me that means both have to happen.

Dave

I agree that "And" seems different than "Then". However,

Rulebook p7 wrote:
If an instruction is impossible, ignore the part of the instruction that is impossible."

So, if Move is impossible and Investigate isn't, ignore the Move part, do the Investigate part.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DocSavage2001 wrote:
F8alist wrote:
I've never taken X then Y to be conditional. I've taken it to mean you do X if possible, then do Y regardless. For example, I would let Ruby investigate after avoiding even during Along the Trail missions (which prevent her from moving).


But Ruby's text is not X THEN Y, her text is X AND Y "you may move AND investigate". Maybe I'm too much a computer programmer because when I see the word AND, to me that means both have to happen.

Dave


Huh. I could have sworn it said then, but you're right. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inertiakitty wrote:
I agree that "And" seems different than "Then". However,

Rulebook p7 wrote:
If an instruction is impossible, ignore the part of the instruction that is impossible."

So, if Move is impossible and Investigate isn't, ignore the Move part, do the Investigate part.


Thanks. I knew I'd read that somewhere, but couldn't find it when I checked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
F8alist wrote:
inertiakitty wrote:
I agree that "And" seems different than "Then". However,

Rulebook p7 wrote:
If an instruction is impossible, ignore the part of the instruction that is impossible."

So, if Move is impossible and Investigate isn't, ignore the Move part, do the Investigate part.


Thanks. I knew I'd read that somewhere, but couldn't find it when I checked.


I couldn't find it either so thanks!

Dave
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.