Subject: A tweak to the standard variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not particularly interested in the more radical house rules being posted up here because I don't think the game needs any sort of radical tweaking (though fair enough if you do).
Of the variants suggested in the rule book the two most popular on this forum seem to be additional starting resources and focused research. I can the case for both but... my concern with the former is that the risk of exploration, which is a major attraction of the game for me, will be too reduced, particularly 6 research being used to up shields in the first build phase (I know mitigating early game randomness is part of the attraction, but with the shield raise I think it goes too far, particularly with the Ferengi fleet). With the latter it's that experienced players will always from the start develop the best tech for end game victory (eg Klingon reclamation barges), so the game will get a bit predictable and other advancements never used.
My tweaks to try and partially mitigate these concerns, while ultimately retaining the benefit these variants bring is:
Starting resources: 6 production, 5 research, 4 culture. You should still have enough production to recover from a terrible start, without exploration being too risk free.
Focused research: this variant only kicks in when you have made first contact. This makes thematic sense to me. Only when you meet your potential rivals do you start focusing on what you need to beat or defend against them, until then it's more random (but still hopefully beneficial).
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm undecided on your tweak to starting resources but I really like your change to focused research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A R
msg tools
I also like your tweak to Focused Research...if you want to develop that Tachyon Detection Array...the Feds probably should have at least met the Romulans.

One thing my group tried and liked was we used both "Starting Project" and "Starting Advancement" accelerated rules. However...before picking the Starting Project and Starting Advancement, each opponent was allowed to remove an advancement from the deck to prevent some powerful projects from being available at the beginning of the game.

Those cards removed by the opponents would be shuffled back in once gameplay started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
We play with starting resources of 4 production, 3 science, 2 culture. Works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
I like both changes, especially since my group played a game where we forgot to check the rules for increased resources and went 8-4-3. No one was able to upgrade shields off the bat but we had the flexibility to build fleets early on.

Restricting focused research makes a lot of sense as it represents a "war effort" that can happen after making first contact. At that point I'd probably opt to wait on advancements until making first contact but I'll give it a whirl with my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
We also have gone with a hybrid starting resources and have settled on 6/3/3. Just gives a bit of a cushion for those first exploration ships if they happen not to survive their first hazards or exploration cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenMan2814 wrote:
I also like your tweak to Focused Research...if you want to develop that Tachyon Detection Array...the Feds probably should have at least met the Romulans.

One thing my group tried and liked was we used both "Starting Project" and "Starting Advancement" accelerated rules. However...before picking the Starting Project and Starting Advancement, each opponent was allowed to remove an advancement from the deck to prevent some powerful projects from being available at the beginning of the game.

Those cards removed by the opponents would be shuffled back in once gameplay started.

They should also have Kirk surgically altered as a Romulan Centurion beam over and steal a cloaking device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.