Subject: First game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

So I'm planning to play this with my wife tomorrow. We've both never played it before. Usually the way this goes is I read the rules beforehand and then do my best to teach it to her and then we play through it together.

There's nothing to read this time...

Am I better off going through the full tutorial alone first, and then teaching it to her? Or is it no problem if we both just go through the tutorial together and figure it out as we go?

I've watched some YouTube videos about the game so I'm not going into it completely blind.

Thanks for your advice.

Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farydia Pseudo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend going through the tutorial together. We went through it with the full complement of 4 players and it worked very well. Btw, the tutorial wiped the floor with us, so don't expect a cakewalk . But it does a good job to teach the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Farydia wrote:
I'd recommend going through the tutorial together. We went through it with the full complement of 4 players and it worked very well. Btw, the tutorial wiped the floor with us, so don't expect a cakewalk . But it does a good job to teach the game!

Oh yea, the tutorial was brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
XCOM is a fine game for 2 players... if both players already know the game and can play 2 roles.
It's also quite good for 3 players... if at least one of them knows it well enough to play 2 roles.
When you're just learning though? It's pretty rough going unless you've got the full complement of 4.

If you're going to play with 2 on your first time through, be sure to use that PAUSE button during the timed phase. You'll be needing it a lot, and until you graduate to Normal difficulty level, you can pause as often as you like for as long as you like.

Also, Rodney Smith is your friend:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tutorial does a good job at teaching the game, to be honest. Like others said, Easy difficulty will probably be easier than the tutorial, so don't worry if you lose (but rejoice if you don't!)

Also, because the real-time aspects are not crucial during the tutorial, take 2 minutes to debrief after it to see how you can organize stuff on the table to speed things up for you. Ex: typically the Commander should prepare ahead of time pairs of Crisis cards (without looking at them, of course), leaving them on top of the draw deck. And the scientist can do the same with upcoming techs since he'll walways draw back to 6.
Oh, andone thing everybody does: get that money in piles of 5, prepping 10 in the bank for when budget is assigned.

One thing I do as a solo player, and you should look at after your tutorial:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Together and without alpha-gaming, plan ahead your expenditures of the upcoming turn, before the timed phase. Like guess how many interceptors, satellites, and troops you need, thus deducting how many scientists you can in theory allocate. Until all hell gets lose thanks to crises and unexpected UFO's, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it go?
Please tell me you did a gameplay video!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone so far.

Also, is there any problem with me playing as both the Central Officer and the Chief Scientist? That goes against the 2-player recommendation in the set-up instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a problem in the "legal" sense of the term... I think as long as you don't take commander and central officer you should be fine. The suggestions are recommended for newcomers who are not accustomed to quick thinking but this is also a solo game where you take on all 4 roles at the same time.

Set up a gopro, we wanna see the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:
Set up a gopro, we wanna see the game.

Not equipped for that, but I'll give you a quick report.

We ended up playing with the recommended roles for 2 players. It worked out fine.

We lost though. We started out fine, completing two missions and part of a third, but we had one brutal turn where we lost most of our soldiers and interceptors. We eventually lost due to the destruction of our base.

Cool game though. Want to try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In time you'll mind all the past mistakes and put the base in priority. That gives you salvage which helps balance the odds through tech research.
Make sure to get to the end timed phase with some spare seconds. That's the moment you can use the CO's ability to pull out resources (scientists/sats/ufos/ravens/soldiers) from one place and, eventually, put them back in someplace else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.