Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick newbie question.... Can a unit that was DG'd in an earlier phase go into Reserve mode during it's own Movement Phase? I don't see any rule forbidding this, but it feels a bit wonky....

I have a few coastal defense units who are very interested in doing so, if allowed!

Thanks,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5.4 wrote:
Units in Combat, Move, Reserve, and Strat Mode can change to a different voluntary mode in the Movement Phase...An involuntary mode marker can only be removed during the player's Clean Up Phase.

Since DG is an involuntary mode the answer is "no". You need to be in another voluntary mode to switch to reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
A unit can only be in one mode at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To direct you to the specifics:

5.2 General Mode Restrictions
A unit affected by mode can only be
in one mode at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is that DG is a mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that means "arrivederci" to the coastal units then. (After a 2-hex retreat into rough terrain, they wouldn't have enough MP to get back in the fight without the extra 25% Reserve mode provides).

Thanks all. I appreciate the fast replies and the rule citations!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
GonzoGamer wrote:
I guess that means "arrivederci" to the coastal units then. (After a 2-hex retreat into rough terrain, they wouldn't have enough MP to get back in the fight without the extra 25% Reserve mode provides).

David

They can change there orientation and flip from combat to move but they are still DG.
Tip: Don't ever waste your reserve markers on shit units like those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
GonzoGamer wrote:

David

They can change there orientation and flip from combat to move mode but they are still DG.
Which, amusingly, means that a unit can be in two modes at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
billyboy wrote:
GonzoGamer wrote:

David

They can change there orientation and flip from combat to move but they are still DG.
Which, amusingly, means that a unit can be in two modes at the same time.

Thats not correct. The unit is DG. Was it in 2 modes on its combat side DG? No. Its also not in 2 modes on its move side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules consider the unit to be in DG mode - either oriented towards combat or towards movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Unit being oriented in Move Mode or Combat Mode could be misleading to new players. Yes, both of those are "Voluntary" Modes that the player gets to choose to place the unit in, but think of them rather as inherent Modes that the Unit already has as opposed to Modes that the Unit can be placed under, either voluntarily (Reserve, Strat) or Involuntarily (Exploit or DG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
A Unit being oriented in Move Mode or Combat Mode could be misleading to new players. Yes, both of those are "Voluntary" Modes that the player gets to choose to place the unit in, but think of them rather as inherent Modes that the Unit already has as opposed to Modes that the Unit can be placed under, either voluntarily (Reserve, Strat) or Involuntarily (Exploit or DG).

The way I think of it, Move and Combat are fundamentally orientations and not modes. Thus, a unit that is DG, or in Reserve, can be in either the Move or Combat orientation.

However, if it's not in any of those other modes, then its mode is defined by its orientation.

I would have said it's in Regular mode, with either Move or Combat orientation. But I'm not the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

The way I think of it, Move and Combat are fundamentally orientations and not modes. Thus, a unit that is DG, or in Reserve, can be in either the Move or Combat orientation.

However, if it's not in any of those other modes, then its mode is defined by its orientation.

I would have said it's in Regular mode, with either Move or Combat orientation. But I'm not the designer.
That is how I learned to handle it as well. You did a much better job of explaining it than I ever could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.