Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 17 Factions, TI4 has a lot of sci-fi alien tropes covered. You've got "space vampires" in Letnev, "bugs" in Saardak N'Orr, "plant people" in The Arborec, and "lizard people" in the Naalu among many others.

From a sci-fi alien tropes perspective, what do you think is missing?

I'll start us off. We need some type of "blob" alien. Maybe it is good at mimicking the abilities of other ships in the same system, or instead of Sustain Damage, it splits into two lesser ships when hit. Maybe the blob is just a collection of nano-creatures that fight with some type of disgusting swarm ability. Seems like they would have poison worked into their theme if they are biologically-based creatures.

What kind of Faction would you like to see in an expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
I dont think we need anymore factions for TI, they are excellently well fleshed out and diverse as is. I'd rather see more action cards, political cards, tech cards, onjective cards, and unit types. I should add that I want cards that are meaningful, offer tough choices, and are interesting. No more " if this agenda passes each faction gets 2TG's, if it fails nothing happens " type stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect the new expansion to have 3 races, taking the total to an even 20.

Lore-wise, the only important faction I'm familiar with that isn't represented in the game is The Mahact Kings. They were the previous rulers of the galaxy before the Lazax took over, and were said to be "Driven to mass insanity by excessive use of cloning". It's possible that the Yin Brotherhood are supposed to be their effective descendants via the cloning link [not directly, but by discovery and use of the technology], so I don't think it's super likely, but I'd love to see "The Mahact Resurgence" or something similar, kind of like how the Lazax are back via the L1z1x.

Mechanically, I agree that a faction that gets to swap their ships back and forth between big and small [or one way or the other] is missing. I could see a blob, but personally think Crystalline entities would be cooler.

Lastly, I expect the expansion to introduce a major new mechanic, and suspect a race that focuses in that mechanic would show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Actually 1 new race would be good to bring the total to 18, that way in a 6 player game each player gets 3 races to choose from. Nice, clean, and even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squeezing a six player game into a 3D layout with 31 non-home tiles is a major pain.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/151922/ti4-3d-layout-thre...

Frankly, I'd just like some more tiles. But you know, I have my TI3.

A unit upgrade tech to bring mechanized units into the game and I think we are pretty much done.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1841225/armor-units-mechani...

I concur on the eighteenth faction though. But then if you expand to support eight players you need twenty-four factions whistle

I suspect that expansions will just add some cards and retrieve some TI3 variants.

Please don't try to bring mercenaries into the game without their own plastic though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too familiar with the lore. I've been eyeballing a copy of the OOP RPG but the prices are steep. But the Mahact Resurgence sounds awesome. In addition to "blob" Faction, we do need a "crystal" Faction. I think we need a "barbarian" analogue. Make them crazy cannibals and a Galactic Threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Actually 1 new race would be good to bring the total to 18, that way in a 6 player game each player gets 3 races to choose from. Nice, clean, and even.

True but 2 each means some of the races aren't available so you don't see the same suspects all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ɓukasz S
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Of course we need new races. Maybe 5-6
TI4 must be bigger than ti3 and it will be game for years

So expansion should contain at least:
5 new races
1 new tech race/per race
40 new sytem tiles
new special tiles
units for 7-8 players
3-4 scenarios
60 new action cards
40 new agenda cards
new type of units
MORE AGRESSIVE OBJECTIVE CARDS(not like I spend I control)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about time travelers? Eclipse has a time-traveler faction with a "get something from the future and commit to produce it later" mechanic, also similar to Anachrony. Could be interesting in TI too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
5 new races is a bit too much for one expansion. Also, I don't see a need for so many additional races. Making them all feel unique and also balancing them could be a nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
There have been many people who made complete sets of additional factions, from Star Trek, Mass Effect, etc. Some were really well made so I'm sure we can fit in some cool new mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about "time-travelers"! We definitely need those.

A few other tropes:

Beings from an "other dimension". They could introduce all types of wacky new mechanics.

Invaders from "neighboring galaxy". This could be combined with another trope.

"Bird People". Kind of obvious and can't believe I didn't think of it earlier. Cue Flash Gordon theme song.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tamtam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the only faction i would love to see is The Mahact Kings

i dont think we need more new faction but maybe splinter from a old one, same case like nekro virus (l1z1x) and yin brotherhood (sol)

maybe from the hylar , sardak norr or arborec could fit into a new variation into the board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Expansion will surely add at least 2 or 3 new factions as selling point.
As for other things - I'd love to see another race tech, these seem to be mostly copied from ti3.

And maybe some new mechanic with planet types, I think this is heavily implied. Maybe you can build certain structures on certain planet types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have a silicon based life-form. Think rock-people or even crystalline people.

No avian races yet, either.

I would also be interested in a multi-cultural coalition of planets. Similar species living in single system that formed their own space-government before exploring the rest of the galaxy. Could be the second 3 planet HS... or first 4 planet system.

Theme's not quite explored yet might include:

A race focused on the new Construction SC, like Xxcha, Jol-nar, & Hacan had strong connections to SC previously.

A race of explorers. Like Portugal, Spain, or Polynesia were, once upon a time. This would be a good tie-in to an expansion that re-introduces domain counters or some other form of Distant-Suns/Final-Frontier.

A race specializing in harvesting/using resources. They get bonuses based on controlling certain types of planets, something that ties the planet type attributes into the game a little more.

Maybe a decadent culturally focused race. They could interact with an expansion that adds representatives, and receive bonuses for planets with the cultural attribute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
We don't have a silicon based life-form. Think rock-people or even crystalline people.

No avian races yet, either.

I would also be interested in a multi-cultural coalition of planets. Similar species living in single system that formed their own space-government before exploring the rest of the galaxy. Could be the second 3 planet HS... or first 4 planet system.

Theme's not quite explored yet might include:

A race focused on the new Construction SC, like Xxcha, Jol-nar, & Hacan had strong connections to SC previously.

A race of explorers. Like Portugal, Spain, or Polynesia were, once upon a time. This would be a good tie-in to an expansion that re-introduces domain counters or some other form of Distant-Suns/Final-Frontier.

A race specializing in harvesting/using resources. They get bonuses based on controlling certain types of planets, something that ties the planet type attributes into the game a little more.

Maybe a decadent culturally focused race. They could interact with an expansion that adds representatives, and receive bonuses for planets with the cultural attribute.

I would totally love an Avian race, just so after I was attacked I could say, " In Bird culture... that is considered a dick move. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We already have a plant race, but they should steal from Stellaris and implement the Blorg, the super-repulsive fungus people who only want to be friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It doesn't really matter what the race looks like. The mechanics should be different enough to make them interesting.

One possibility (thematically similar to Nekro Virus): A race that gets a discount on rebuilding their previously destroyed units.
If your units get destroyed, you don't place them back in the reinforcements. You place them in the "rebuild pool". When building units, you can decide to only build from the rebuild pool (you have a special card which you can flip to indicate that you have used this action this round). Then you only have to spend half of the resources (sum the cost, divide by 2, round up). Any excess units in the pool you didn't build go back to reinforcements.
Maybe you can use this ability only once per round.
And maybe when you have used the rebuild ability this round, for the remainder of the round all destroyed units return to reinforcements rather than to the rebuild pool.
Maybe the discount for War Suns should be adjusted. -50% for that is way too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Armstrong
Canada
flag msg tools
How bout these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ss ss
msg tools
I would love to see something done with the Mahacht Kings which are repeatedly mentioned in the lore.

Alternatively a techno barbarian/ tech nobility lording over a backward species would fit well in my opinion. A backward society that has access to amazing technology which is reserved for the elite and military. Someone extremely good at holding planets and exploiting their resources but quite bad at expansion and space faring.

I was actually working on a custom race based around this concept. Unique PDS whit the production ability, which once upgraded increase the resources on a planet, Infantry units which are extremely strong and abilities that center around these two units as their main strengths on one hand, and no starting tech plus reduced fleet size to balance that out on the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.