Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm experienced with the original MoM and have been trying to get the second edition to th table lately. What would the appx length of the first scenario be for a four player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
The very first time we played it took us about 3,5 hours, but we were new to MoM and had to look up lots of stuff in the rulebook during play.
Second time was more like 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digmecolder wrote:
Hello,

I'm experienced with the original MoM and have been trying to get the second edition to th table lately. What would the appx length of the first scenario be for a four player game?

I think you're looking at 3 to 3.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had wildly different experiences regarding game length the first time the game was introduced to newbies.

Pro time saving tips:
-Prep: Your monsters should be organized in boxes all available to be picked in less than 10 seconds, all your decks should be pre-shuffled. The first thing you do is hand out investigator cards to your friends so they can choose while you take stuff out of the box.
-You will need only one tile set (among core and figure & tiles expansions). Once the app shows you the first tile, say from MoM 2nd, you won't have to place MoM 1st core or MoM 1st expansion tiles. Thus, separate them accordingly.
-I will just say you have two lives, two actions per turn and you can move and interact with tokens or attack monsters or pick and trade items. That takes one minute and off we go. If you, as the game owner, focus on teaching the rules on the go, like a videogame tutorial, you can skip on 20+ minutes of detailed explanation of stuff that most likely won't matter in the first map. Like, only tell them you can steal when one person goes insane.
-One person narrates the app text and another (more experienced player) will just skim the text and place the tokens, find items and deal damage while the other reads.
-Distribute fiddly stuff among capable hands: I have a buddy that is really bad at orienting stuff and always places tokens and tiles in the wrong direction. Another is fast at it, so I give him that job. Even newbies can help handing out damage and horror cards.
-As an owner and player, you should have a vague idea that it is better to focus on speed rather than exploring every nook and cranny, so don't be afraid to rush to the objectives.

I have taken as little as 2 hours when teaching to a newbie. That being said, I once lent it to two experienced players and three newbies and they took 4 hours to complete the first mission, with one rushing the objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of players makes a huge difference. I'm surprised the app doesn't account for this.
The estimate is probably pretty accurate if you are experienced with around 4 players, or if you are new with 2 players.
2 experienced players will finish in much less time than the app says. 4 or 5 new players will take a lot longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arah wrote:
all your decks should be pre-shuffled

Just to avoid effort later. Only 3 of the 7 decks SHOULD be shuffled (Horror, damage and insanity). All the rest should be in alphabetical order so you can find the right card when referenced. The only 'shuffling' past that is when taking a spell or condition, you should randomise from the duplicates. But just shuffle at the point of taking them as they are only a few (half a dozen at most) an this takes no time at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks or the responses! Does the app have a save feature if you do t happen to finish? Or is that a huge pain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digmecolder wrote:
Thanks or the responses! Does the app have a save feature if you do t happen to finish? Or is that a huge pain?

It does although I've not used it yet. It says in the manual that you need to store all your possessions and traits (including horror and damage) per character. I don't know what it does about the position of characters and monsters on the board though, as those aren't directly tracked in the app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Digmecolder wrote:

It does although I've not used it yet. It says in the manual that you need to store all your possessions and traits (including horror and damage) per character. I don't know what it does about the position of characters and monsters on the board though, as those aren't directly tracked in the app?

It doesn't save any of that. The only thing the app tracks is what the monsters are, how much damage they've taken, and the current state of the map. In that regard, the save feature is only really useful if you're going to leave the game set up and then come back to it. Anything else will require a lot of notes and/or pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
negatrev wrote:
Digmecolder wrote:

It doesn't save any of that. The only thing the app tracks is what the monsters are, how much damage they've taken, and the current state of the map. In that regard, the save feature is only really useful if you're going to leave the game set up and then come back to it. Anything else will require a lot of notes and/or pictures.

It wouldn't require a lot, just one picture. It actually says to physically store all your character stuff. So you'd just need a picture to know where the figures were. It's a shame you can't input the locations into the app for the saving as it would take very little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.