Hide
5 Posts

Monopoly Gamer» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you *have* to use your character's enhanced power? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tenth8sphere tenth8sphere
msg tools
For instance, Wario replaces the squid with an option to steal IF a player is on the same spot. Often that doesn't happen though - so Wario wastes a lot of rolls.

The instructions book says the character powers "enhance" and "replace" them. So we read them as NON-optional. So you MUST use only the version for your character. If Wario gets a squid and no one is on his square - tough luck.

Is that right??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tenth8sphere wrote:
For instance, Wario replaces the squid with an option to steal IF a player is on the same spot. Often that doesn't happen though - so Wario wastes a lot of rolls.

The instructions book says the character powers "enhance" and "replace" them. So we read them as NON-optional. So you MUST use only the version for your character. If Wario gets a squid and no one is on his square - tough luck.

Is that right??
The following is my take on this.

Some of the characters abilities say "you MAY" do such and such. This wording makes it sound like you don't have to, if you don't want to. And considering the ones that are worded that way are kind of lousy if you don't meet the right conditions, it seems this was deliberate, so that you could choose to do the default action instead.

Examples:
Diddy Kong. Blooper Power-Up Boost: You may steal 4 coins from a player who is up to five spaces behind you. (so, what if there is no other player within five spaces behind you? you just go without? no, it seems to me the word "may" is in there so that you can fall back on the default Blooper Power-Up and steal 2 coins from any player.)

Rosalina. Coins Power-Up Boost: You may collect rent from the Bank for any one of your Properties. (again... what if the highest value property you own is only 1 coin rent? Or perhaps you don't even have a property... because it says "may", you should be allowed to take the default 3 coins)

Boo. POW Power-Up Booooooooost: All other players drop 1 coin. You may advance to the space directly behind the next player on the board. Follow the rules of that space. (for this one, I believe the "may" is in there in case the space directly behind the next player happens to be Go To Jail. It would be kind of silly to go there, now wouldn't it? unless... when you advance to the space behind the next player you got to pick up well over 5 coins on the way... (yes, it says advance, so you can pick up coins you pass over) because if you pick up more than 5, you would still come out ahead after paying 5 to get out of jail... so, it could be worth it)

Wario. Blooper Power-Up Boost: You may steal 5 coins from another player if you are both on the same space. (and if there is no one on your space, defalut steal 2 from any player)

And then the weird ones:

Tanooki Mario. Green Shell Power-Up Boost: If there is a player on the space in front of you, they drop 6 coins. (No "may" in this one... however, there is an "if". So, IF the player you hit with the green shell is on the space in front of you, they drop 6... but if NOT, then the green shell should act as normal and make the one it hits drop 3)

Fire Mario. Green Shell Power-Up Boost: If the next player on the board is four or more spaces ahead of you, they drop 5 coins. (again with the "if"... so if they are within 3 spaces, they should drop the default 3)

So, that is my 2 coins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Jones
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Mnty4rd wrote:
tenth8sphere wrote:

Is that right??
The following is my take on this.

Some of the characters abilities say "you MAY" do such and such. This wording makes it sound like you don't have to, if you don't want to. And considering the ones that are worded that way are kind of lousy if you don't meet the right conditions, it seems this was deliberate, so that you could choose to do the default action instead.

Examples:
Diddy Kong. Blooper Power-Up Boost: You may steal 4 coins from a player who is up to five spaces behind you. (so, what if there is no other player within five spaces behind you? you just go without? no, it seems to me the word "may" is in there so that you can fall back on the default Blooper Power-Up and steal 2 coins from any player.)

Rosalina. Coins Power-Up Boost: You may collect rent from the Bank for any one of your Properties. (again... what if the highest value property you own is only 1 coin rent? Or perhaps you don't even have a property... because it says "may", you should be allowed to take the default 3 coins)

Boo. POW Power-Up Booooooooost: All other players drop 1 coin. You may advance to the space directly behind the next player on the board. Follow the rules of that space. (for this one, I believe the "may" is in there in case the space directly behind the next player happens to be Go To Jail. It would be kind of silly to go there, now wouldn't it? unless... when you advance to the space behind the next player you got to pick up well over 5 coins on the way... (yes, it says advance, so you can pick up coins you pass over) because if you pick up more than 5, you would still come out ahead after paying 5 to get out of jail... so, it could be worth it)

Wario. Blooper Power-Up Boost: You may steal 5 coins from another player if you are both on the same space. (and if there is no one on your space, defalut steal 2 from any player)

And then the weird ones:

Tanooki Mario. Green Shell Power-Up Boost: If there is a player on the space in front of you, they drop 6 coins. (No "may" in this one... however, there is an "if". So, IF the player you hit with the green shell is on the space in front of you, they drop 6... but if NOT, then the green shell should act as normal and make the one it hits drop 3)

Fire Mario. Green Shell Power-Up Boost: If the next player on the board is four or more spaces ahead of you, they drop 5 coins. (again with the "if"... so if they are within 3 spaces, they should drop the default 3)

k

My group is in complete agreement with the above. Although for Boo how does the actual die roll get played (or not) when he takes the option to move with his boost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ls1ashley wrote:
Mnty4rd wrote:

k

My group is in complete agreement with the above. Although for Boo how does the actual die roll get played (or not) when he takes the option to move with his boost?

There are a couple of questions that come up because of this...
1. Can you buy property in the "middle" of your turn.
2. Do you overwrite your number die because of a Power-Up ability?

So, an example for #1:
Roll a number and POW as Boo. Move using your number die, buy that property, then activate POW, and then move behind whoever is ahead of you landing on another property and you can buy that?
Or activate POW, move behind the next person, buy the property you are on, then move with your die roll, possibly landing on another property and you can also buy that?

Example for #2: (similar, but different... your question made me think of this)
Roll a number and POW as Toad. (Toad POW Power-Up Boost: After players drop 1 coin, roll the numbered die, and move again.)
Look at the board and see that if you move the number rolled, you would end on Go to Jail, or another players high rent property, or a Thwomp, so instead, you activate POW first, which makes you roll again and overwrites your original number die to possibly miss that space.

I'm leaning toward only able to buy property at the end of all your movement, and...
You can choose to overwrite your number die with a power-up, if it makes you roll again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rucker

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA
California
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tenth8sphere wrote:

Is that right??

Power-Ups are to your benefit, but certain characters only provide benefits at certain times (Tanooki Mario, Rosalina). Because of this, Power-Ups are always optional but usually the better choice. This was put in place because if you "forget" to do your power-up ability (say young kids are playing) you're still technically playing "correctly" because all power-ups are optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.