Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this game idea while thinking about F2P games and how they work. It doesn't make any sense to me. People play the games for free, then pay money to skip parts of the game. It never made sense to me. Because if they enjoyed the game, why do they want to skip parts of it? On the other hand, if they aren't enjoying it, why are they even playing?

So my idea is pretty simple. It's a roll and move game where you're trying to get to the end. But you can only move forward if you roll a 1 on a d100.

The board has about 10,000 spaces.

BUT, it'll say in the rules that if you send me $0.25 (in the mail, because we're keeping it analog), you can roll a d20 instead, for 3 turns.

Send me $0.40, and you can roll a d12! Now we're talking! Again, for 3 turns.

Jump up to $1.00 and you're rolling a d6. You'll win for sure! Probably.

Send me $10.00 and you can upgrade your die for the rest of the month!

And so on...

Kickstarter reward levels will include a few turns with upgraded dice for the early adopters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll quickly go out of business as aspiring designers request free copies of your game to scavenge for parts.

This joke was also done in detail in DLC Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you supply the d12! ? I would love to see what that looks like, but good luck proving it's balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought someone had actually done this for real when I saw the title.

Had some serious thoughts about how free-to-play (minus printing costs) could be done for a collectible game a few years ago. It would definitely be possible with giving away a few free (PDF) cards every day and then selling ranges of virtual cards that can be printed instead of selling physical boosters. (Pro: No need to print the 99%+ of cards that are just garbage anyway. Con: Probably less than a dozen persons in the world would be even remotely interested in paying for something like that).

Print'n'play collectible game (prototype and ideas)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
Aren't CCGs more or less based on Microtransactions?

You can either buy just a small amount of starter cards and then spend years and years trying to trade for actually good cards OR just buy tons of booster packs until you've got yourself a valuable collection that is actually usable.

You don't need to do this, but everybody who plays CCGs has probably bought piles of boosters atleast once. Well, today you can go online and buy all the specific cards you need for your deck one at a time and save lots of money that way, but I think there are still many people who will repeatedly sink money into booster packs...Which are essentially microtransactions I would argue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperhead wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Tragic: The Garnering™ boosters were a direct inspiration for microtransactions.

But as far as I'm aware, there aren't any CCGs that give away basic starter decks, so it still doesn't fit the F2P part of the description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ratimir wrote:
Hyperhead wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Tragic: The Garnering™ boosters were a direct inspiration for microtransactions.

But as far as I'm aware, there aren't any CCGs that give away basic starter decks, so it still doesn't fit the F2P part of the description.

It is not difficult to find free common mtg cards though, so you could definitely start playing for free (although with an extremely crappy deck I guess).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
Got this game idea while thinking about F2P games and how they work. It doesn't make any sense to me. People play the games for free, then pay money to skip parts of the game. It never made sense to me. Because if they enjoyed the game, why do they want to skip parts of it? On the other hand, if they aren't enjoying it, why are they even playing?

It doesn't make sense to you because you fundamentally misunderstand how F2P games work. People don't play to skip parts of it, they pay to gain content more quickly. I've been playing Clash Royale for free for about a year and a half (for research purposes!), and I've accumulated all but two of the cards. Using their clan donations system, I've leveled two of my favourite cards to max (Wizard and Minions), and am now working on some other ones.

While I can make a variety of decks, I pretty much always use Wizard and Minions because they are my most powerful ones. I'm somewhat constrained in deck design space, because the free resources I've acquired over the 18 months have only allowed so much development. If I spent to get extra resources, I could expand more through design space - gaining the two cards I'm missing and raising more cards to high/max level.

To make a board game equivalent, perhaps you would do something like Kingdom Death Monster, Zombicide or an extended Arcadia Quest - a campaign where players level up characters and accumulate loot over several sessions. Throw a bunch of loot chest boosters into the main box, but make better boosters available via mail order. Let players spend (disproportionate) amounts of money outside of the core game to get extra stuff.

The core game is fun, and the players don't need to spend outside of the core in order to enjoy themselves and advance. But if they do spend outside of the core, they can advance more quickly and in potentially very different ways, creating a new experience for the whole group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a game that you can play with the playing cards everyone already has. Sell candy "tokens" that can be used to power up your playing cards if you use them. (Maybe partner with a candy company for this) But then the player has to eat the candy after one use. So they have to keep buying more candy if they want to power up their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies to everyone who was honestly trying to help out. I just posted this as a joke. Sorry. I'd never actually try to make a game like that.

That being said, if some kind of beneficial discussion actually comes out of this, cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.