United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation happened tonight where I had $44,000 as the green player. I played a number 6 card, which lets me steal $1,000 from another player, which then put me at $45,000. Does the game end automatically? The "Starting a New Round" rule and the app seem to imply that the game ends after an arrest, but the "Danny Atlantic" thief and the "Winning the Game" rule seem to imply that you CAN win by collecting money in other ways.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go by the app, the only time you are asked the question of whether you have enough money to win is after a successful arrest.

I hope to run into one of the designers at WashingCon this weekend. I will try to remember to ask him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey y'all! We get asked this question often, and I imagine it will be something we clear up in the second edition of the rules

Yes, you can only win the game if, after arresting a thief, you have enough money to win the game.

You could have a billion dollars, but if you don't catch a thief, you don't win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Czerwonka
United States
Orland Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, off topic...

when you catch a thief and he escapes.... cant you have the sound effect from the original one, I think it had it, where it did a na nana na na effect, then made the escapes sounds.

Also, if you dont pay real attention to that as it goes quickly, there is no way to replay those few moves, it only replays the last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curfew wrote:
Hey, off topic...

when you catch a thief and he escapes.... cant you have the sound effect from the original one, I think it had it, where it did a na nana na na effect, then made the escapes sounds.

Also, if you dont pay real attention to that as it goes quickly, there is no way to replay those few moves, it only replays the last one.

The escape mechanic and retro sounds are available in custom mode.

Replaying all the clues is our most requested feature, and we are woRking on it as we speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

You could have a billion dollars, but if you don't catch a thief, you don't win!

I think my box must have been short a few money cards because I don't think I'm currently capable of getting $1,000,0000,000?
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Czerwonka
United States
Orland Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
Hey y'all! We get asked this question often, and I imagine it will be something we clear up in the second edition of the rules

Yes, you can only win the game if, after arresting a thief, you have enough money to win the game.

OK then why did you guy word this card this way then.

DANNY ATLANTIC

When Captured

Each other investigator gets $1000 from the bank (unless it would cause then to win)

Sounds like if I captured this thief and have say $42000 in a 2 player game, and the other player has $44000... The bank would just give the other person $1000 no matter what cause they cant win even if they have $45000 until they catch a thief...

So is the Card misprinted then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curfew wrote:
jayahre wrote:

OK then why did you guy word this card this way then.

DANNY ATLANTIC

When Captured

Each other investigator gets $1000 from the bank (unless it would cause then to win)

Sounds like if I captured this thief and have say $42000 in a 2 player game, and the other player has $44000... The bank would just give the other person $1000 no matter what cause they cant win even if they have $45000 until they catch a thief...

So is the Card misprinted then?

I wasn't around when the cards were printed, but best guess is it's the easiest way to say "you can't win this way".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. I think it makes sense that you can only win after catching a thief.

Additionally, I think the app's wording even asks whether "you" have earned enough to win (rather than "any investigator"), which adds some extra clarity.

However, with Danny Atlantic, are we saying that the "other investigator" in the theoretical situation described above ($1k short of the goal, or even if they were already above the goal) would still NOT get the $1k from the bank? Even though it could NEVER directly "cause them to win" ?

It seems very nit-picky, but I can imagine it cropping up in close games, especially with the possibility to take money from other players & push them back below the goal before they make an arrest.

{ EDIT: Actually, thinking on it more, there are various ways to gain/lose money, such as paying for private tips, fines, stealing. So it's more than feasible to go above the goal, and then potentially lose/spend cash & fall back below it, while trying to make that arrest to trigger the actual "win" condition. So it seems odd to handle this single situation with Danny Atlantic any differently. }

Danny Atlantic's "when captured" text does seem at odds with this clarification that you can only win after a capture (on your turn). It's what brought me to this thread.

EDIT: Just to throw another one in here: Rob Sherwood has no such restriction...
"After collecting your reward, choose another investigator to take $2000 from the bank"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.