Subject: Year of Little Rain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Choice Event Years of Little Rain, if we Act to Ease the Drought then each spirit may add presence to the island. If doing so uncovers Water, can that water be used to aid the cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You need to pay the cost before you get to place the Presence.

(The order will be switched in the upcoming reprint of Branch&Claw, so it's clearer you need to pay the cost first.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question: on Outpaced, if you 'Work to Match Their Pace', is the energy cost shared between the spirits? This one is worded differently from most Choice Event costs.

Also, do you pay the energy/presence all at once, or is each power resolved before you need to pay for the next one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Related question: on Outpaced, if you 'Work to Match Their Pace', is the energy cost shared between the spirits? This one is worded differently from most Choice Event costs.

You didn't quote the card, so unless the wording specifies otherwise, page 9 of the rules answers your question: "The cost is paid jointly however the Spirits like; it does not need to be divided evenly."

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Also, do you pay the energy/presence all at once, or is each power resolved before you need to pay for the next one?

Would it ever matter? At any rate, I'm assuming the cards are resolved one at a time. Again, unless the card specifies otherwise, I can't think of any time you have to pay the cost for multiple actions up front.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The energy/presence cost for each power is paid by the spirit that owns that power. The cost is not shared.

I don't recall a ruling on the second question. Based on the wording, I would tend to play that you completely resolve the decision for each power card before you start for the next; so you could play a power that would grant you energy, which you could use to pay the cost for the next card (I assume this is why you were asking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomChick wrote:
Arcanist Lupus wrote:

You didn't quote the card, so unless the wording specifies otherwise, page 9 of the rules answers your question: "The cost is paid jointly however the Spirits like; it does not need to be divided evenly."

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Would it ever matter? At any rate, I'm assuming the cards are resolved one at a time. Again, unless the card specifies otherwise, I can't think of any time you have to pay the cost for multiple actions up front.

-Tom

My apologizes. Here's the relevant text:
Quote:
Each Spirit chooses independently for each of their Slow Power Cards played this turn:

Work To Match Their Pace
Pay 3 Energy or destroy 2 Presence
You may choose to resolve the Power Card now.

And the reason it matters is because there are slow powers that grant energy or place Presence which could potentially be used to pay costs for other slow powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.