Popular Tags: [View All]
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those not on the Kickstarter, Goblinko has created the start of a new website for Degenerates.

They have the rules book available for download now.

http://dungeondegenerates.com/

After one quick read thru, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much depth the game has over similar games like Talisman.

I'm going to read it again and the post some thoughts here. I will say that some people probably will find the density of information off-putting. There are lots of little things in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Äaberg
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew Eric was going to make a great board game & rule book - but I've been very impressed & my expectations have been exceeded with his work on Dungeon Degenerates. We're finishing up the first two world books right now & the world of Dungeon Degenerates is a rich fantasy world you're really going to love exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add a somewhat-less-biased voice to what Sean just said - I was also really impressed with the rulebook. Dense, yes, but lovingly edited, very accessible, well written, and beautiful to boot! Can't wait for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook seems odd at first, but it is very similar to older wargame rules that present lots of info up front that is tangentially related to actual game play, but necessary to keeping the actual rules more concise.

If that makes any sense at all.

If you keep reading, it answers any questions you might have had from earlier.

I assume Triumphs are from specific missions. Anyone (like Sean or Eric) know how many missions are in the base game?

Any plans to include one or two in the background books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
John - yes that's a Good assessment!

Triumphs do come up in specific missions, mostly as a reward. They tend to help the entire party and some of them have dramatic effects on how the game plays out.
There are 20 missions in the mission book, and some of them have variations (both in objective & outcome). They're linked together in arcs of about 3-5 missions that unfold based on where you go and what you do. You can also play them as standalone missions.

There likely won't be enough space to include missions with the world books, but there will be more missions coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you please post them here? My work has your site blocked for some reason. Says it's a malware site.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
For those not on the Kickstarter, Goblinko has created the start of a new website for Degenerates.

After one quick read thru, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much depth the game has over similar games like Talisman.

I'm going to read it again and the post some thoughts here. I will say that some people probably will find the density of information off-putting. There are lots of little things in here.

I just came here to check on that. Their KS Faq still says they're "working on the rules." I guess I really did fund a game based on art and pitch, I usually go right to the rules! Delivery date says August 2017, so we're a bit over. I have been waiting so, so long, and I hope they had a successful 1st printing. It's really ambitious to go from illustrator/craftsperson to publisher. I love Äaberg's illustrations and really do hope this thing gets the publishing and rulebook it deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
Can you please post them here? My work has your site blocked for some reason. Says it's a malware site.

Thanks!!

I tried, but the file is too large, and I think officially I need permission from a publisher unless they explicitly state the sharing policy. Of course Goblinko wouldn't care but those are the rules.
Here's a direct link to the pdf, maybe that will work:
http://www.dungeondegenerates.com/DOWNLOADS/DUNGEONDEGENERAT...

Download it from somewhere that won't be tainted by work spirits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonah G wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

I just came here to check on that. Their KS Faq still says they're "working on the rules." I guess I really did fund a game based on art and pitch, I usually go right to the rules! Delivery date says August 2017, so we're a bit over. I have been waiting so, so long, and I hope they had a successful 1st printing. It's really ambitious to go from illustrator/craftsperson to publisher. I love Äaberg's illustrations and really do hope this thing gets the publishing and rulebook it deserves.

If you backed it they should be sending you updates.

They got final tests done and it is prob. coming in November.

Looks awesome, the final proofs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes I do get the updates. Lots and lots. Didn't see the November push though, so thanks for that. I'll be a degenerate myself by then. shake

Just kidding, you don't back stuff without knowing that this stuff is hard to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't back anything unless it's by a small group that couldn't get it made otherwise.

None of the big kickstarter "brands" ever get my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that. I make no distinctions. Even the big brands are often teetering on insolvency (assuming you mean "hobby board game big" and not Hasbro). Just a few bad investments and they're in dire straits. I think increasing the traffic to the hobby in any way lifts up the funding for everybody around. If people are going to kickstart Steve Jackson's next DMCA showpiece then they're going to have a better chance of seeing this kind of genius stuff and getting in on it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean the companies that do nothing but flood the market with mini packed shovel-ware before abandoning it and trying to get you to buy 2.0 next year.

The hobby did just fine for 40 years and now it's make a quick buck for many. A huge influx of uninformed "investors" can only last as long as they remain uninformed.

Some gems make it through, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb

I watch a lot of Calandale's reviews on youtube.
Overall verdict: Games are better than ever and keep getting betterer. There will always be schmucks pushing ripoffs and landfill. I think there's just too many good games out there right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well when hundreds of games are published each year, you are more likely to get some winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking at your short history with board games, I would say that feeling is understandable. Although I am surprised by how many other people are seemingly having this same reaction. I have not played it yet, but there have been many other titles (Agricola was a total nightmare) where the rulebook challenged me far more than this.

If you also spent the money to purchase Kingdom Death: Monster, I assume you absolutely intend to play it, so the difficulty of this may be the least of your worries. If you tried any other board games with moderate complexity, or old pen-and-paper role-playing games, you should be able to grasp this game by reading the rules as you play. Having the map and cards in front of you sometimes alleviates that initial confusion, just by looking at where everything goes, one step at a time. If not, I would recommend trying to meet with someone who has more experience than you with games, and maybe you can learn together.

Dungeon Degenerates may easily be worth the price of admission for the art alone, but there is a meaty dungeon crawler and a sick fantasy world here that is begging to be explored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb

Received my copy last week. What a beautiful game. The components are top notch, the printing is great. And thank you also for the bonus issues of Pork. Can't wait to play this.

I wish I could get your blessing to mod it for Tabletop Simulator, but I don't want to step on any toes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.