Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Twomey
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're in a situation where we have an "area border" card which we haven't crossed. Directly on the other side of it is an already placed (but unrevealed) exploration card. (which was placed but not explored earlier along our path which sort of "loops around")

I've double checked everything and I'm fairly certain we arrived at this situation in a legal way. However, it's unclear to me what happens now if we cross this card? Do we just discard into the past the unrevealed exploration card so that we can place the indicated terrain card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
That's actually a good question. I'd say as card text trumps the rulebook, the line "immediately put card xxx or yyy at the other side of this card and put everybody who participated onto it" will have you discard the exploration card in the way.

edit: I figure you can do this because the exploration cards are "something happens when looking for a path"-events. Well, you already found a path: via the divider card, which you turned an exploration card over for.

edit 2: another indicator that ths is how it's supposed to be handled is that you can only use the pathfind action from an adjacent tile. So you couldn't even reveal the exploration card from the terrain next to the divider. And I doubt you'd have to loop back around and reveal/resolve the exploration card, just so you can from then on use the connector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brackwater wrote:
That's actually a good question. I'd say as card text trumps the rulebook, the line "immediately put card xxx or yyy at the other side of this card and put everybody who participated onto it" will have you discard the exploration card in the way.

That's my understanding of the rule as well. My only doubt is, are you supposed to discard the exploration card in the past or to return it to the tray? I would return it to the tray because you haven't encountered/resolved it, so it's not really part of your past, but it's just a minor detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
Ren3 wrote:
My only doubt is, are you supposed to discard the exploration card in the past or to return it to the tray? I would return it to the tray because you haven't encountered/resolved it, so it's not really part of your past, but it's just a minor detail.

I don't think it would really matter, but I would discard it into the past because that's where you discard exploration cards to? I mean, you don't need to look at it, when you do. So you don't spoil yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Twomey
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I agree this is the general intent and that's how we ruled it as well. I didn't consider returning the exploration card (as opposed to discarding it). However, I like that even more (on the off chance that we'll still encounter it while in the same area).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brackwater wrote:
Ren3 wrote:
My only doubt is, are you supposed to discard the exploration card in the past or to return it to the tray? I would return it to the tray because you haven't encountered/resolved it, so it's not really part of your past, but it's just a minor detail.

I don't think it would really matter, but I would discard it into the past because that's where you discard exploration cards to? I mean, you don't need to look at it, when you do. So you don't spoil yourself.

The question is whether the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
goat
is dead or alive when you open the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.