Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do not read on if you have not finished with the Voracious Goddess Curse, as there will necessarily be serious spoilers in the discussion.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

My Husband and I have had many many run-throughs of this curse. The first few times we died we had left the island by two different means
swimming and going North East in the submarine
both of which took us to a different part of the continent, meaning we were travelling without use of the map, and even when we did encounter a feature from the map we lacked certainty that it was indeed a map feature. We ended up exploring all sorts of places that I fear seem likely to be pertinent to other curses.

When we eventually died after our second incorrect leaving of the island we then went on to leave in the right manner meaning that we landed on the continent in the way depicted by the map. Hurray the map is finally useful! As we proceeded we decided that the numbered points and question mark were marking critical items and places
like where to get the grappling hook, where the submarine was, and crucially where the temple was.
In trying to follow the map and the marked places we ended up with one of the purple gems
the one that was in the temple.
We then found our way to the Goddess statue on the map. I was suspicious that having only one gem wouldn't be enough (seeing the curse card with two glowing purple eyes had made it clear just what we'd found) but having got all that way and only finding one we thought we'd see what happens.

If you visit the goddess with only one eye, you get a message clarifying that you do need to find both, and quite punishing you for your failure to do so. We saw no hint as to where we might find another one.

We thus proceeded to go on a wild goose chase, pretty much traversing the whole continent again, and failed to find a second gem. We had thought it must be going to be where the number 6 was marked on the map, as that was the only point we'd not found something significant. But our attempts to find something there led to disasters
like going on the underground water tunnel that then took us to a new islet

Eventually in despair I turned to the BGG, and luckily read a post which suggested that all you had to do was go to the Goddess and follow the instructions in her vision. We were puzzled as we'd had no vision mentioned, but then cheatily checked what happens when you go to the Goddess you have no gems - and it turns out that in that case you get two very specific clues as to where to find them both.

This seems really odd to us. You find one gem (ahead of schedule, as it were) and you just get punished, where as if you have found no gems, you get told how to find them both.

I would never have thought to go back to the Goddess and see what happens if you didn't give her either gem - she was cross enough when we only had one!

So this is the nub of our question. If you have already found one gem, before you first visit the Goddess how are you supposed to know where to look for the second gem? As it turned out it was just one tile away from where we had previously explored - but then until we have explored the entire continent there will always be odd tiles that are just one away from where we have explored. It would have taken us a ridiculous exhaustive search to find the second gem without the Goddess clue, but it took us going on BGG to get that clue - which feels wrong (unless the designers intended BGG to be a sort of meta-continent)

Did we miss something? Was there some clue somewhere that would mean you knew that you needed to first go to the Goddess with no gems? Or was there some other clue as to where the gems were located? I just can't understand why there wouldn't be gem clues available to people who happen to have found one gem on their way to the Goddess. On a subsequent play through we would always pick up the gem that we knew about on the way to avoid retracing our steps, so we would never have found out that there were great clues available to the empty handed at the Goddess.

This has a little bit soured us on the game. I don't mind struggling, dying, failing to spot clues etc, but it kind of seems like we hit a fatal flaw whereby we'd never find the information necessary to solve it, just because we found something earlier than intended.

Hopefully someone can tell me something that makes it all sit easier on us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
This has a little bit soured us on the game. I don't mind struggling, dying, failing to spot clues etc, but it kind of seems like we hit a fatal flaw whereby we'd never find the information necessary to solve it, just because we found something earlier than intended.

In the off chance that it'll make you feel better: i didn't even realize that the map on the curse card itself was in any way relevant (i thought that it was the graphical equivalent of "fluff text") until i had already reached
her temple
, before i had found
a single eye gem (or even knew that that's what i was looking for)
. That ate up the first 15 hours or so of my session. Like you, once i finally realized that the map really was a hint, i wasn't certain that the landmarks around me actually matched the map (and in one case i incorrectly matched a landmark on the map and the terrain around me, leading to much confusion later on).

:/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind you don't have to use your banner modifiers - they are an option. There are times that using them are detrimental to you and your party.

There was one location we used a modifier and we wound up dying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, the map clue made total sense to me from the start.

I found the first gear by chance and then the banner on the submarine made me think "hey, we haven't checked the dead guy but the second gear can only be there, let's go back". And we found the FT16 clue. Okay that's pretty clear.
We used the map to figure where to lead the submarine and it worked.
Then we found the stone pillars and died.
On my second playthrough I totally found the goddess and her clue made total sense to me but I died again because of
a goddam scorpion in a cage.

I then gave up on this curse because it was boring and playing it three times in a row wasn't fun to me.

After losing to the offering and winning my only game against the bloody hunt I went again against the goddess + the black chest and

Found the gem in the grotto and got trolled by the goddess when trying to put it back.
I had a hard time figuring out the ten days north even though I thought it'd be in the temple in the jungle, but after going there I didn't find it, so I thought I had to go in the grotto on the cliffs. Well it wasn't there either so I went to the goddess and did the banner on my gem times 2 and lo and behold, I found the right card. But turns out I needed two gems. Did I outsmart the game? It would appear so.

Anyway, I died again. Hunting again. On card 177. At this point I hate this game. Deeply.

Now I'm going against the Offering + Black chest again and guess what,

I'm dying on hunts again.

Fun.

By the way this is totally not a good curse combination to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
By the way this is totally not a good curse combination to play.

I would have said the opposite because (spoilers for midway through both Offering and Dark Chest)
you have to visit the same locations, the Guardians.

I did play both together with Bloody Hunt and found it a good combination (although not as engaging as Voracious Goddess). But I feel we have wildly different approaches and opinions of the game, so YMMV.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I feel that OP is right and it ties in to a larger problem in the game: if you're lost or don't know how to proceed, it becomes extremely hard to progress without going online and asking. It's easy to know that you're on the right track (finding items with the purple banner, etc) but there's often only 1 thing pointing you to the next step, and if you miss it (even by doing the right things but in the wrong order) there won't be anything pointing you the right way.

Question about your VG game:
What did you find at number 4? The second gem is close to where number 4 is on the map, so I'm assuming you found something else and thought that was the important thing, but I can't remember anything in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:

What did you find at number 4? The second gem is close to where number 4 is on the map, so I'm assuming you found something else and thought that was the important thing, but I can't remember anything in the area.

By our understanding of the map, number four marked the location of the temple where we found the first gem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

By our understanding of the map, number four marked the location of the temple where we found the first gem

Sorry, I misremembered the map, I meant number 5 (the ice cave).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:

Sorry, I misremembered the map, I meant number 5 (the ice cave).

I also misremembered, I had us out by one number.

So we were working on theory that:

1) cog
2) submarine
3) old man who gives a x32 clue (though we weren't sure in the end that this was helpful for this curse, so maybe we had that wrong, and actually following that clue took us in the wrong direction for getting to number 5)
?) Grappling hook (for going up the cliff etc)
4) Temple with eye
5) Eye in the glacier
6) The goddess statue

But working out where 5 was, proved the tricky part as the scale of the map is off, and you can't follow the route the map shows, as you can't get north onto the glacier tile until you've already explored it (so if you explored the relevant sections of the island in a single session you could take the route shown on the map, but for a first visit, or over multiple visits the route doesn't work, as you have to detour north, then east then back west again (instead of the simple north shown on the route). Mind you, the route off the small island on the map shows the submarine going through the middle of the island, so it's hard to interpret anything on the map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.