Subject: Board fitting in the new box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Got my expansion in the mail today. Everything fits great... Except the board. The box is just a bit too narrow and the board won't go all the way to the bottom (and is a nightmare to get out if I try to push it). Can't put it in vertical along the side because it sticks up over the top a few mm.

Anyone else experience this with their copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
Got my expansion in the mail today. Everything fits great... Except the board. The box is just a bit too narrow and the board won't go all the way to the bottom (and is a nightmare to get out if I try to push it). Can't put it in vertical along the side because it sticks up over the top a few mm.

Hey Mike the box should lay on top of the box, this is why we have the thumb cuts on the side for easy placing and removing. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
getlouder wrote:
Sparticuse wrote:

Hey Mike the box should lay on top of the box, this is why we have the thumb cuts on the side for easy placing and removing. Hope that helps!

I thought that might be the intention of the thumb cuts, but the board doesn't get snug till it is past the cuts almost completely making them awkward to use for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it is a little off. I keep the board on the top of everything and it is fine. A little snug, but at the end of the day everything else is so great it doesn't matter much to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Teixeira
msg tools
Are there a suggested ways/strategies for box organization published online anywhere? I'd love to see what people have tried/figured out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board fits well, not inside the box but on top of the bottom box. No problems. I'm not sure what the two small boxes are for... dice cups?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
mjmelen wrote:
The board fits well, not inside the box but on top of the bottom box. No problems. I'm not sure what the two small boxes are for... dice cups?

Yeah, they're dice cups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything fit into my box (first KS and this one). The map and rules fit on top of everything else and the box sleeve fits with no issue. Not all of the components fit "flat" in the box - Some of the cards are on edge on the side. Note that I have not sleeved any of the cards. A lot of space can be gained by putting dice and tokens in the dice cups.

I am going to miss using the original box because it is one of the most beautiful game boxes I own. I have decided to use is as a dice tray.

What are the green rectangles with the half circle cut outs for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Everything fit into my box (first KS and this one). The map and rules fit on top of everything else and the box sleeve fits with no issue. Not all of the components fit "flat" in the box - Some of the cards are on edge on the side. Note that I have not sleeved any of the cards. A lot of space can be gained by putting dice and tokens in the dice cups.

I am going to miss using the original box because it is one of the most beautiful game boxes I own. I have decided to use is as a dice tray.

What are the green rectangles with the half circle cut outs for?

Those are card dividers. I put them between the cards...

You can't really see them but they separate the cards enough to keep the batters and pitchers separated. We don't want them fraternizing with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralsar wrote:
Those are card dividers. I put them between the cards...

You can't really see them but they separate the cards enough to keep the batters and pitchers separated. We don't want them fraternizing with each other.
Aha! I get it now. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to get the board on top of everything else ok, but the mat is another story altogether...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeved the cards don't fit for me. It seems like the box was a a great idea, but tragically designed. The board fits as long as it sits on top of the bottom half of the box? Umm...okay. the sleeved cards are too wide for the box (UP deck protectors). The Dice cups could ha e had lids to actually be useful inside the box as opposed to the waste of cardboard they were.

All in all this box is the most beautiful looking missed opportunity I've seen in a box. It defines, "good but not great"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Sleeved the cards don't fit for me. It seems like the box was a a great idea, but tragically designed. The board fits as long as it sits on top of the bottom half of the box? Umm...okay. the sleeved cards are too wide for the box (UP deck protectors). The Dice cups could ha e had lids to actually be useful inside the box as opposed to the waste of cardboard they were.

All in all this box is the most beautiful looking missed opportunity I've seen in a box. It defines, "good but not great"

Hey there! The box is designed for the board and rulebook to sit on the top (it why the thumb cuts exist). This also acts as a lid on the dice cups once placed on top.

Sorry your UltraPro sleeves don't work. There is another thread on sleeves for this game, and the Perfect Fits (by either Dragon Shield or KMC) fit very well on the cards and in the new box.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my board is a bit too tight on the top. I'm afraid it might rip off the blue colored part (i don't know what you call it haha)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
rebubula423 wrote:
I was able to get the board on top of everything else ok, but the mat is another story altogether...

Speaking of the mat, is it available anywhere despite being a KS item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
getlouder wrote:

Hey there! The box is designed for the board and rulebook to sit on the top (it why the thumb cuts exist). This also acts as a lid on the dice cups once placed on top.

Sorry your UltraPro sleeves don't work. There is another thread on sleeves for this game, and the Perfect Fits (by either Dragon Shield or KMC) fit very well on the cards and in the new box.

Hope that helps.

With all due respect, this doesn't help.

I'm not sure how fitting the board and rulebook "on top of the box", thereby crushing the board and rulebook between the box bottom and lid if the box has anything stored on top of it, was ever anything more than a mistake. If it wasn't a mistake, then it's one of the poorest design choices I've ever seen in game box design. There isn't a situation where it's preferable to sandwich the game board and rules between the lid and box bottom over simply putting in the very box that was designed to hold it.

Secondly, when making this beautiful box upgrade over the base-game box why on earth would you make it too narrow to hold the typical sleeves that most people use? If anything, it should have been made wider to include those plastic sleeves that hold typical baseball cards.

Just seems like this box was a huge missed opportunity. And I think buyers down the road will mirror these sentiments. The level for board game contents, including the box itself, has been pretty high for a while now.

In any case, it is what it is. Speaking for myself, it's a huge missed opportunity. Also shows that the best game designers aren't necessarily the best component designers. The little "dice cups" in the box are also overproduced and frankly useless. Again, like the rest of the box, they look amazing and have a feel of quality to them, but inevitably I would never use them for their intended purpose. They're glorified box spacers.

...I won't go on and on about this. I actually love this game which is why it bugs me so much about the mistakes in the box design. Everyone I've showed this game to has fallen in love with it. But with the cards sleeved the base box lid doesn't close. So the Clubhouse expansion, more than anything else, was to help remedy that issue. Instead it actually made that issue worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.