Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This place was creepy. Light flickered on the walls, shadows dancing across the dark pool of water, and the cell bars glinted cruelly in the gloom. And in amongst it all things shuffled along the ground.

Evy shivered. She could almost feel something watching her. She didn't like it here at all.

Perhaps she could come and go without anyone noticing? Would that be too much to ask?

The goal of the Witches Dungeon is to collect the key at the far end of the level, and make it back to the entrance. Ten cards are used, and the map starts with 4 active spawn points (the purple ones). The fifth spawn point (the green one) only activates after Evy attacks a monster.

This map was designed quite early in the playtesting of the game, before most of the maps came about. I've had a go at sprucing it up and giving it a theme and some colour.

There are multiple ways the map can be approached, and overall it seems to work well enough. You will lose some health - I don't think it is possible to get through it without some form of confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me a while to recognize it. Amazing how a little background art can totally transform a map!

Losing health on a map is absolutely perfect; barely getting to the end is the most exciting way of getting to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tynes wrote:
Took me a while to recognize it. Amazing how a little background art can totally transform a map!

Losing health on a map is absolutely perfect; barely getting to the end is the most exciting way of getting to the end.

Yup, and the original version had hexographer symbols in it too when I submitted it in the WIP thread. I removed most of them out for this version, and am much happier with it (art wise) than the gym map, though it could look much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After not having pulled it out for a while, I have started playing the game again, writing a story as I go. The first part of the story takes place on this map, but with a twist - full details of the story, including a new monster type, can be found in this SGOYT entry, or in the self labelled session report.

If you're curious, details of the new monster can be found below:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

This story features the spawning of the Witches Shadow. It is a boss type monster that spawns on this map with one health from the special spawn point when a monster is first dispatched. Once the Witches Shadow has spawned the spawn point behaves just like a normal spawn point. Once it is on the map, whenever a monster is dispatched the Witches Shadow gains a health (max 6), and when attacked it loses a health. It can never drop below 1 health – when it would do so it is pushed back a space instead. While it has 6 health it gains the following abilities: Ghost Walk (can move through obstacles and walls), Always Active (moves every movement phase as the first monster moved), and Displacement (when moving if blocked by another monster it will swap places with it). If the Witches Shadow drops below 6 health while it is on top on an obstacle it will remain stuck there until it goes back to 6 health. The Witches shadow will show up in every map following this one, starting on the health that it finished the last map on, and spawning once Evy dispatches the first monster. It is entirely possible that it will grow in power as the story unfolds...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.