Keyflower» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bidding Clarification Please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Rudd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Question: Can You Increase a Winning Bid by 1 or does it have to be at least 1 more than the previous bid?

Situation: Player A bids with 1 red meeple on Tile 1 and it stays like this for several actions but now player A wants to ensure they get tile 1 as player 2 only needs to bid 2 red meeples

so which of these is correct

1) Can player A increase his bid by 1 red meeple to their current winning bid of 1 red meeple to make it 2 meeples.

or

2) If player A wants to increase his winning bid of 1 red meeple. They have to place at least 1 more meeple then the previous bid. In this case Player A would have to bid with 2 red meeples for make a total bid of 3 red meeples. (The same as player 2 would have to bid)

or

3) Player A can increase his bid to by how many meeples he likes

or

4) Player A can't increase his bid

Any help would be appreciated as i haven't been able to clarify this from reading the rules and hours of searching.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 - As much as he likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be wrong, but we always played that you can increase your bid only if outbid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rudd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you so much for the fast reply. It does make the most sense and is logical.

We have been playing, that if you want to bid on a tile and you are winning the bid you have to bid at least the same number that your opponent would have to. While this is still legal, it just makes it more difficult.

Thank you for the piece of mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rudd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ohh no that's 3 different people that were playing Bidding 3 different ways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
I might be wrong, but we always played that you can increase your bid only if outbid.

In the instructions, under "Bidding":

Quote:
4. A player's turn may consist of adding more workers to a winning bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rudd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Yes it does
It was section 3 that was confusing me

"3. If the tile has already been bid for by another player then the bid must be with a greater number of workers then the previous bid. There is no maximum number of workers that can be used when bidding"

I think the key word is "by another player"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomtom3989 wrote:
Yes it does
It was section 3 that was confusing me

"3. If the tile has already been bid for by another player then the bid must be with a greater number of workers then the previous bid. There is no maximum number of workers that can be used when bidding"

I think the key word is "by another player"

Exactly. You can add as many as you want, if it's your own winning bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rudd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you so much again. Now that I've asked i feel silly because it makes complete sense when reading it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john newman
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
Faso74it wrote:

Quote:

Missed that. I am not sure how often, or under what circumstance I would want to do that however. To keep the round alive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnpnewman wrote:
Brodie17 wrote:
Faso74it wrote:

Quote:

Missed that. I am not sure how often, or under what circumstance I would want to do that however. To keep the round alive?

Your bid of red failed to cause players to play red meeples elsewhere, hence you realize your initial bid is vulnerable. And, as you said, it is a stalling move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
johnpnewman wrote:
Brodie17 wrote:
Faso74it wrote:

Quote:

i think it comes up in 2 player more than multiplayer games where you have a pretty good idea what your opponent has. there are situations where it would make sense to make outbidding you much harder if not impossible and then shifting focus elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.