Subject: Advanced clues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sanjay Gianchandani
India
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

So I recently purchased BBS when someone recommended it to me as a better themed hanabi. In the last couple of months, I have developed a newfound love for Hanabi and its advanced clues(finesse/reverse/bluff) and how sometimes, really clever moves come about thanks to those.

When I tried out BBS, I realized, the game was sufficiently different for same advanced tricks to not really be applicable. As in, due to the need of forming a sum instead of a sequence, there's no need of a specific play order of cards and with just 1 copy of each color/number, you can't really discard something with the thought that a second copy would help things later.

So, I have been wondering if anyone's been able to come up with any advanced tricks so far...While the theme and all is very nice, give clue play card hardly scratches the "feel clever" itch that Hanabi does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Vargo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is one of our most played and has replaced Hanabi for us.

The two games are different, but the varying complexity with difficulty levels makes it better for us. there are some advanced moves, such as intentionally going over a total in order to use it as a strategy, having perfect knowledge about what cards are out there and what has been seen (there are only 24 cards and a finite number start in the players' hands).

We believe that the most complex levels require the use of the special characters, which again, substantially changes the game. All in all, a great game, and offers more variety than Hanabi.

One other key is to play cards down as much as possible, it has no cost if played properly, and cycles more cards through the game, giving even better knowledge of what is left.

Keep at it, I think you'll love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanjay Gianchandani
India
flag msg tools
mbmb
Flightsurg wrote:

One other key is to play cards down as much as possible, it has no cost if played properly, and cycles more cards through the game, giving even better knowledge of what is left.

This is one element that I haven't fully grasped I am sure. The discarding isn't the same as hanabi so you have to be careful that you don't exceed the total or the max number of cards allowed by the case. In hanabi, you can discard most useless cards quite easily.

Still laerning the games and discovering misunderstood rules. In my third play today, I discovered that we are allowed to exceed the unlimited card limit permitted by the case. Earlier I used to think it was an immediate end in loss of the game, now I realized it just means Sherlock advances by one.

Thanks for your reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Vargo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, cycling cards is key.

"If I don't see it in my teammates' hands and there are only a few cards left in the draw, there's a good chance I must have it..."

Also remember that what you were holding when your teammate told you "These cards are 2's" is important. Of course, we all know that we should remember that the cards pointed out have a value of 2, but this also means (critically) that the other cards you were holding at that time CAN'T POSSIBLY BE 2's. This is key strategy. You almost have to rehearse in your head what every card in your hand is as well as what it can't possibly be.

Knowing the rules correctly is key in this game because of the fine balance. I encourage you to read the rules every so often, just to be sure you have the rules correct. Watch a couple of videos and if something sounds different than your understanding, investigate!

The real beauty is adding the special characters, who give you some advantage (usually). The more "pipes" shown on the special character card, the more helpful that character card tends to be. We play that you may not tell you partner(s) what your ability is, but when they see you break a rule, it tells them who you are. I think that for a few games, it would be helpful to state your character ability at the beginning, but it makes it fun to have to figure it out. Adding the characters is critical in the more difficult versions of the game.

We usually determine how much we want to help ourselves given a certain difficulty level, generally escalating the difficulty as we get better.

For instance, the first time we try the level 4 case, we may mix the character cards with 4 pipes and 3 pipes together and randomly deal one to each player. Next time we try level 4, we may only use characters with 2 pipes and 3 pipes, etc.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.