Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dungeon Crawler..Without a GM ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivailo Ivanov
msg tools
Any suggestions on the fantasy dungeon crawl which are worth investing money in? Like co-op or PvP .
All i want is to be highly played and enjoyed with a group of 2 to 4 players .
Needs to have some kind of replay of missions that will keep us interested.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
negativeoxide wrote:

Needs to have some kind of replay of missions that will keep us interested.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I would highly recommend Gloomhaven. It is purely coop and has many many people highly invested in it.

Another good candidate IMHO would be Sword & Sorcery or you could play Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) without a GM through the available App.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites are the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games. I value simplicity in this kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game sets have decent replayability (class combinations, randomisation), but the campaigns are pretty long per playthrough already. They're more abstract, but also a great deal cheaper than the miniature-filled modern extravaganzas like Gloomhaven. I can get three PACG base sets for one Gloomhaven here

Playable with 1-4 players, up to 6 with the character add-on (more new classes). Best with 2+ characters due to it being co-op. Scenarios can take 45-120 minutes depending on number of players and newness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Citadel of Blood and DeathMaze are solitaire games. However, they're easily adaptable into a multi-player co-op if you put a little imagination into it. They're very "old school" designs, with extremely crude components/graphics, but systemically they offer a lot of interesting options. If you're at all into doing craft projects and modding your own designs, they're a great basis for making own game. All the info you need is here on BGG in the photos and files sections for the two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Arcadia Quest is super fun, go check it out.

Warhammer Quest the Adventure Card Game might be worth looking at, even it it's a card game it scratches some of that same itch :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Arcadia Quest for PvP!
Also recommend Zombicide: Black Plague for DM-less co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
NewTroll wrote:
I second Arcadia Quest for PvP!
Also recommend Zombicide: Black Plague for DM-less co-op.

I don't want to derail the thread, but Black Plague...is it challenging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game sets have decent replayability (class combinations, randomisation), but the campaigns are pretty long per playthrough already. They're more abstract, but also a great deal cheaper than the miniature-filled modern extravaganzas like Gloomhaven. I can get three PACG base sets for one Gloomhaven here
Well, in this case, you clearly get what you pay for. I'd argue that Gloomhaven provides easily more than three times the fun of PACG (probably closer to about ten times the fun...).

In fact, I consider the cost/value ration of 'Gloomhaven' to be nothing short of excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
gnurf wrote:
Well, in this case, you clearly get what you pay for. I'd argue that Gloomhaven provides easily more than three times the fun of PACG (probably closer to about ten times the fun...).

In fact, I consider the cost/value ration of 'Gloomhaven' to be nothing short of excellent.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could argue Gloomhaven has too much content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what Gloomhaven is!
It is cooperative without GM (i.e. there is an AI for the enemies), contains a huge campaign with a story, and unlockable items, scenarios and character classes. But the scenarios can also be played separately, and there is a mechnanism for randomly generating more.
So it is infinitely replayable and can both be played consistently with a group or solo, and casually if people just want to jump in.
Also, the fantasy world is not "generic fantasy", but very much its own thing. I find it fascinating!

The game is entirely based on cards, and the cardplay mechanism and hand management are very clever and quite unique.

I don't know what the "too much content" criticism is supposed to mean...
Of course, the fact that it contains so much means that it isn't cheap, but it is very good value. (As far as I can see, other dungeon crawlers are not cheap, either, but comparable in price!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Scribbles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I will also +1 for Gloomhaven. Sure, it is quite pricey (especially once it goes to retail). But I am only roughly halfway through the content and it already is one of the best value for money (in terms of total cost divided by hours played). By the time I finish it I reckon I might have some filler games with a worse ratio than GH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:

Playable with 1-4 players, up to 6 with the character add-on (more new classes). Best with 2+ characters due to it being co-op. Scenarios can take 45-120 minutes depending on number of players and newness.

You're mistaken. My copy of Gloomhaven came with 0 Minis. As in, none. Second, even had I purchased the minis, I would only have 1 per character, for a max of 16. This is hardly a "miniature filled modern extravaganza." Third, the very first dungeon crawl boardgame, Heroquest, was filled with miniatures. D&D, the very first dungeon crawl, was built around minis. So it is not a modern phenomena. Your assertion that it is leads me to believe you think PACG is a classical take.

And that may be so. Modern boardgames rely on decisions and player agency to interact, utilizing randomness as a tool to generate drama and uncertainty. PACG has none of the earmarks of modern game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

How many people are going to play all of the scenarios? There's 90+ in the base game alone. There's a random scenario generator as well, which I'm sure is going to get used since people might simply want to jump ahead and see what playing more powerful versions of characters is like. We live in a day and age were people hoard games during a Steam sale only to never touch them or even complete them. Same thing can happen with board games. I know someone who played 55 scenarios and hasn't played it in 2 months. Joel of Drive Thru Review admits he played it 7 times, will be his #1 game for the year, and might never or hardly ever play the game again. So yes, I think a game could have more content than is practically needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Gswp wrote:

How many people are going to play all of the scenarios? There's 90+ in the base game alone. There's a random scenario generator as well, which I'm sure is going to get used since people might simply want to jump ahead and see what playing more powerful versions of characters is like. We live in a day and age were people hoard games during a Steam sale only to never touch them or even complete them. Same thing can happen with board games. I know someone who played 55 scenarios and hasn't played it in 2 months. Joel of Drive Thru Review admits he played it 7 times, will be his #1 game for the year, and might never or hardly ever play the game again. So yes, I think a game could have more content than is practically needed.

Even so, "more content than you will ever play through" doesn't sound like much of a criticism to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
A 1-vs-many game doesn't have a GM. It has an opponent. They're not the same thing. A GM is omnipotent, their goal isn't to kill the players because that's trivial. An opponent plays by specific rules to accomplish a specific goal that runs counter to the opposing team's goal. It's a team-based game where one team simply happens to have one person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For a good ROI (Return on Investment), I really like One Deck Dungeon . It's only 1-2 player with one box, but you can do 4 player with two boxes. It's a pretty cheap game, has some great art and flavor text, a lot of dice, it's fast paced, and it has a campaign mode which is not bad.

The others mentioned are great, I just wanted to add this little box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.