Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R C
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hi,

I originally posted this question in the General recommendations forum, but I think it got lost in the shuffle and I never got any replies. I hope it is ok to repost here where it will target a more specific audience.

I am generally a wargamer and am interested in learning a tabletop baseball system to play solo. I have narrowed it to History Maker Baseball or Replay Baseball. To all you tabletop baseball gamers out there, could you advise me which one would be better for me based upon what I would like in a tabletop baseball game:

1.) I am predominantly interested in present day teams or those from the last few years.

2.) I am probably not going to be interested in playing an entire season, but would be interested in playing a pennant race series, playoffs, and/or world series.

3.) I would also be interested in playing upcoming games before they happen. I would love to take the O's through the last weeks of September to see if they could get that wild card spot.

4.) Keeping sophisticated stats does not interest me.

5.) I would probably favor the game with the most decision points. The more managerial decisions I could make, the better.

6.) As a side note, do either of these games track bullpen fatigue over the course of several games and/or injuries?

Thanks in advance. I hope these games will provide a pleasant 30-40 minute distraction on nights I don't feel like bending my brain around a war game,

RC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are fine games but from the items you list I'd advise you go with History Maker Bsaeball. It isn't the ultimate statistical recreation but it recreates the feel magnificently, which I think would fit your priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, am a wargamer; but I also play sports games. I agree with David in that both Keith and Pete design excellent games, and that HMB and Replay are my two favorite baseball games; but for sheer excitement and ease of play, I feel HMB is your best bet. Keith's games (all of Plaay Games) have the "right feel" and "momentum" needed to let you experience the joy of involvement while playing a table top baseball game. It's great for solo play also. - Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Replay Baseball tends more toward "serious" baseball sims, History Maker Baseball has made inroads with boardgamers for being slightly more approachable, more narrative, and focusing more on an experience sort of quality over statistical accuracy.

HMB has converted numerical attributes to written attributes, in other words the batter doesn't have 43 homeruns, the batter is a "HR King." The batter does not have 164 strikeouts in a season, the batter is a "Whiffer." This sort of informal conversion will repel as many people as it attracts, you just have to figure out which camp you are in.

And if you've already axed Strat-O-Matic Baseball from your possible choices, I am going to predict you lean more toward HMB. It is the game you want to just pick up and play for 30 minutes. But beware, "decision points" are few. The game is pretty much telling the story for you, other than the typical pinch-hit, reliever decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will 4th (?) the recommend for History Maker Baseball. I've played many, many, many baseball sims over the last 40 years. HMB is the best 'experience' by far. The other games are more of a math / statistics exercise, while HMB makes you feel like you are engaged in an actual game.

- C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CharmCity wrote:
I would also be interested in playing upcoming games before they happen.

If that's the case then HMB is definitely the way to go. You can order the 2017 In-Season card set right now (it came out about 2 weeks ago) and play the rest of this season and the post-season as it happens, or before it happens. To me this is a neat innovation, as my desire with these games is to play along with the current season. Also, I think HMB lends itself more to this, as players are rated more generally for how they play overall rather than the specific numbers they've put up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies. I got a lot more traction here than in the general recommendations forum! I think HMB it is then.

RC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good discussion gang, looks like a game we'd enjoy. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Priester
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Both terrific games. From what you are describing I would suggest to give History Maker Baseball. It took a long time to really go full bore into HMB but it is a very addicting and fun game to play! It is often described as "thinking out of the box", that is, part of its appeal is pre-game moods, designation of hot and cold players and some players falling into TFN, or til further notice, regarding changes in a players abilities or even injuries.

Personally, the unique pre game moods is perfect for the fictional league seasons but I am not sure how it will work with actual major league season replays.

Replay is a very good game that is more traditional in that you can count on more accurate statistics. Aesthetically, Replay is one of the best quality parts in the gaming industry.

Good luck in your quest as to which you go with!

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like HMB V5 is scheduled for release in March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.