Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Total War» Forums » General

Subject: Total War - out by end of 2017??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW - I emailed Arthur Goodwin last week about purchasing the Total War maps and counters. I expressed my concerns that the maps and counters aren't much value to me if I can't use the FiTE/SE rules (or other existing ruleset). Here's his response:

"The game 'Total War' is designed to be a complete replacement of 'Fire in the East'. The counters/maps are a major upgrade in quality and accuracy. The maps could be used with Fire in the East without much of a problem provided you have a copy of the revised Terrain Effects Chart (which we posted on the HMS website a while back). The counters less so, as without the updated OBs not everything would be clear. The complete game should be out about the end of the year. If you want, I can add your name/email address to our list of people to contact when the game is actually out."

As a new comer to FiTE/SE, should I hold out for Total War, or jump on used FiTE/SE sets out there now?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Their track record of pronouncements about Total War being out imminently doesn't fill me with any reason to believe this one...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of fairness to the accuracy of the message (as it is posted), Mr. Goodwin did not specify the end of which year the game 'should' be released.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
Out of fairness to the accuracy of the message (as it is posted), Mr. Goodwin did not specify the end of which year the game 'should' be released.


...or even which century...my money is on 23rd century...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pcfrederick wrote:
FWIW - I emailed Arthur Goodwin last week about purchasing the Total War maps and counters. I expressed my concerns that the maps and counters aren't much value to me if I can't use the FiTE/SE rules (or other existing ruleset). Here's his response:

"The game 'Total War' is designed to be a complete replacement of 'Fire in the East'. The counters/maps are a major upgrade in quality and accuracy. The maps could be used with Fire in the East without much of a problem provided you have a copy of the revised Terrain Effects Chart (which we posted on the HMS website a while back). The counters less so, as without the updated OBs not everything would be clear. The complete game should be out about the end of the year. If you want, I can add your name/email address to our list of people to contact when the game is actually out."

As a new comer to FiTE/SE, should I hold out for Total War, or jump on used FiTE/SE sets out there now?


You're new around here, eh?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're new around here, eh?

Yep - I've read all of the delays, so I assumed to not put too much weight into a prediction of it being released this year, but I don't have any personal experience with this, so didn't want to prejudge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW - I added the underlining in the quote. It was not underlined by Mr. Goodwin.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pcfrederick wrote:
You're new around here, eh?

Yep - I've read all of the delays, so I assumed to not put too much weight into a prediction of it being released this year, but I don't have any personal experience with this, so didn't want to prejudge.


Yeah, in all seriousness, I never pre-ordered Total War, but I did bite the bullet and buy both Fire in the East and Scorched Earth, plus The Urals used off eBay. Yes, it was not cheap, but I now actually own the games - I don't have to wait on anyone getting off their butts and actually finishing something that they promised to people over a decade ago. I'm happy with my decision.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
pcfrederick wrote:
You're new around here, eh?

Yep - I've read all of the delays, so I assumed to not put too much weight into a prediction of it being released this year, but I don't have any personal experience with this, so didn't want to prejudge.


Yeah, in all seriousness, I never pre-ordered Total War, but I did bite the bullet and buy both Fire in the East and Scorched Earth, plus The Urals used off eBay. Yes, it was not cheap, but I now actually own the games - I don't have to wait on anyone getting off their butts and actually finishing something that they promised to people over a decade ago. I'm happy with my decision.


How long ago was that, and are you happy with the game? There are copies of FiTE for decent price, but SE is over $200 most of the time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pcfrederick wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
pcfrederick wrote:
You're new around here, eh?

Yep - I've read all of the delays, so I assumed to not put too much weight into a prediction of it being released this year, but I don't have any personal experience with this, so didn't want to prejudge.


Yeah, in all seriousness, I never pre-ordered Total War, but I did bite the bullet and buy both Fire in the East and Scorched Earth, plus The Urals used off eBay. Yes, it was not cheap, but I now actually own the games - I don't have to wait on anyone getting off their butts and actually finishing something that they promised to people over a decade ago. I'm happy with my decision.


How long ago was that, and are you happy with the game? There are copies of FiTE for decent price, but SE is over $200 most of the time.


I bought both off eBay in 2012. I paid around $150 for each. The Urals was cheap, only like $25. I have set the maps up but haven't played the game yet, like with about 50% of my wargame collection. I did, however, buy enough plexiglas to cover the entire set-up!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Verhasselt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
My question is- did HMS/GRD come through in 2017?

My own story with these two fellows. I live in the Denver area and I've been keeping up with the emails on BGG for the last several years about how long the Europa fans have been waiting for Total War. I have never been a huge fan of Europa but I thought I'd contact Gar to see if maybe I could drive to their location and buy a few of their games. You know, maybe help them out sales-wise at least...

I did get in contact with Gar in October and it really sounded like the guy didn't want to sell me anything or I should go to Ebay to get a used copy. Now when I say I live in the Denver area, I could have been to their location in an half hour. Later I tried to email the other guy, I think his name is Arthur, but I never got a reply.

It's really too bad that this game system has fallen into these two guys hands.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.