Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Squad Breakdown for 11.4 Combat Patrols? This breakdown is on Pages 58 and 59 in the rules.

If not, how is this used? Additionally, should we be using these units explicitly when we breakdown units? It was my other thought of how we are supposed to use this breakdown.

If a German Army Mission I A/L Squad takes a hit, am I supposed to randomly determine which Fire Team takes the hit? I cannot find how this is explicitly stated in the rules, if so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Logged on to ask more or less the same question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Those squad breakdowns are used to figure out what single step units are part of a squad. They have nothing to do with patrols -- rather the rules layout coincidentally put the charts near the paragraphs describing patrols.

Here are two examples of when to use the chart:

#1: if you have a squad that gets a CL result, you convert a three step squad to...
A casualty
A litter team
A remaining fire team of the type in the chart.

#2: if you pull a fire team out of a squad via the "detach team" command, this chart tells you what sort of fire team to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I thought. So now my question is if an German A/L squad gets a fire team result which fire team should in place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
raynovich wrote:
That is what I thought. So now my question is if an German A/L squad gets a fire team result which fire team should in place?

Here is my general principal: if there are three choices, then "roll" a 1-3 and choose randomly. So, draw a card and choose the 1-3 result and pick the fire team (FT) in order based on the chart. 1 = left most FT. 2 = middle FT. 3 = right most FT. You'll have to remember which one you picked in case you get a second FT.

What is kind of interesting is which row to use for which missions. I'm reading the chart on German units as having two choices.

(1) you can get into the historical detail and model an A/L squad based on the historical opponent. Using history as a guide, the A/L squad uses one of the first two rows, but choose which of the two rows based on the mission opponent. ("Heer" on row 1 for mission 1; "Paratrooper" on row 2 for mission 2-7).

(2) if you want to be less historical, model all A/L squads as the same for all missions, which is row 3. (Row 3 appears to be half way between "heer" and "paratrooper")

In either case, you have the option in missions 1,6,7 to have a S.L squad as well, which is always the last line. For S.L of course there is no variation in the fire teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
As an aside, I would allow my US commanders to choose which fire team to detach. It looks like that rule is relevant in very few cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really can't belive this wasn't addressed, since it was a frequent question here and on CSW. My response here might help, but be warned it references the FoF 2nd Ed. 2011 rules and aids and my own hunch, not the new 2017 ruleset.

jyeackle wrote:
1, 2 & 3. I could never find an answer to the breakdown order, if there even is one, and came away with the following:

Break out units from right to left, except for US Army Engineers Vietnam (the opposite).

This is mostly based on the wording in the example from the Advanced Tutorial (which is included in the 2nd Ed. rules) that the last remaining unit from an A VOF platoon must be a fire team with an A VOF. Also mentioned is that the ammo is split between the two A VOF German LMG fire teams (Line 2).

If units are chosen randomly or from left to right, none of that would be possible (random could leave an S**C as the last unit from Line 3, and Left to Right would leave A/S**C teams which don't worry about Ammo).

So yeah, I'll stick with what I came up with until I hear otherwise.

(Ref. 6.9.2 - 2nd Ed. 2.1 Ruleset)

The followup posts might help further elaborate too in that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.