Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can you try to arrest any actions?

2. What is the point of all funding you get as SD that you almost never can spend?

3. What is the meaning of the thumbs/cubes +1 on the political track?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Don't have the rules directly in front of me, but I'll do my best.

Svarthand wrote:
1. Can you try to arrest any actions?

So long as your party holds power in the country you're performing the action in, you can attempt to arrest, however, Arrest actions can only be successful against an illegal action (such as a riot or putsch--propaganda actions can be made illegal through play of certain cards, and thus would become subject to Arrest).

Quote:
2. What is the point of all funding you get as SD that you almost never can spend?

The goal isn't to try and use all of your funding? They're just resources. You can choose how many you use (mostly) and there's no penalty for having funding left over, so I don't really understand the issue?

Quote:
3. What is the meaning of the thumbs/cubes +1 on the political track?

The thumbs are Political Support, they increase the amount of votes you get from that social class during Elections. The cubes give you more funding at the start of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Ok thank you that was what we suspected.

2. Yes but those resourses are not in your reserves and are locked away from things like influencing minor parties and being placed in parlament so it seems more line an liability instead an asset beyond a point.

3. Yes on the population tokens we understand that. But we do not get the meaning of this symbol on the political track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question, is War reperation markers ever flipped back from the No Reperation side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For question 3, read the Example of Funding on page 8 and the Example of Political Action Attempt on page 11 of the Rules Book (mainly the pictures). You will immediately understand the meaning of the symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
Another question, is War reperation markers ever flipped back from the No Reperation side?

They can be flipped by cards. Also, the Law Action to promulgate a Nationalization Reform in Germany can flip one War Reparations Marker to the Delay side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For question 2, I do not understand if you refer to:
a) the many Funding cubes received by Social-Democracy (in the early turns of play), that are sometimes not entirely expended, or
b) the many cubes that remains locked in Parliament boxes when an Ideology wins Elections with an Overwhelming Majority.

For a), remember that unexpended cubes are saved at the end of Rounds and Turns, as per the rules on page 16: "E. Perform Crisis Checks ... Unused Pool Cubes remain in the Pool."

For b), consider it as a mechanism to balance the game: the more you are powerful, the more your potentials (reserve of resources) decreases.

However, remember that Pool Cubes (produced by Funding) are, together with Cards' PPs, the fuel of Actions, that are the core tool of the game. So, a good stock of Pool Cubes is not a waste of resources, but instead a potential way to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
calvinus wrote:
For question 2, I do not understand if you refer to:
a) the many Funding cubes received by Social-Democracy (in the early turns of play), that are sometimes not entirely expended, or
b) the many cubes that remains locked in Parliament boxes when an Ideology wins Elections with an Overwhelming Majority.

For a), remember that unexpended cubes are saved at the end of Rounds and Turns, as per the rules on page 16: "E. Perform Crisis Checks ... Unused Pool Cubes remain in the Pool."

For b), consider it as a mechanism to balance the game: the more you are powerful, the more your potentials (reserve of resources) decreases.

However, remember that Pool Cubes (produced by Funding) are, together with Cards' PPs, the fuel of Actions, that are the core tool of the game. So, a good stock of Pool Cubes is not a waste of resources, but instead a potential way to victory.

He's referring to the fact that vote cubes (in Parliament) are taken from the Reserve, rather than the Pool, so since Social-Democracy has so few in the Reserve (but a lot in the Pool), it makes their amount of Pool cubes a hindrance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imawesome13131313 wrote:
He's referring to the fact that vote cubes (in Parliament) are taken from the Reserve, rather than the Pool, so since Social-Democracy has so few in the Reserve (but a lot in the Pool), it makes their amount of Pool cubes a hindrance.

Ok, clear now, but Vote Cubes are placed in the Parliament boxes mostly after Elections, so after the Political Phase and therefore when the Pools have been emptied, unless the player has used just a few cubes. So I'm puzzled, having deeply play-tested the game and never encountered such issue...

Edit: Also, even when the Vote Cubes are placed in the Parliament boxes as a consequence of a "Influence a Minor Party" Bonus Operation as per the 'Effects of Government Coalition' rule on page 7 of the Rules Book, this happens during the Resolve Actions step of the Political Phase. This means that Pool Cubes have been already employed to support the Actions on the map and, therefore, the players' Pools are empty (or they just have a few cubes). Furthermore, 'Effects of Government Coalition' rule does not force players to add Vote Cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:
For question 3, read the Example of Funding on page 8 and the Example of Political Action Attempt on page 11 of the Rules Book (mainly the pictures). You will immediately understand the meaning of the symbols.

Ok so that symbol designates that political support symbols and funding symbols on the tokens in that area will be added to the fascist player for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:
Svarthand wrote:

They can be flipped by cards. Also, the Law Action to promulgate a Nationalization Reform in Germany can flip one War Reparations Marker to the Delay side.

Ok I formulated myself badly. What I meant is that once you use law action for example to get it to the delay side will it always remain on that side for the rest of the game or have I missed some step during the turn when it should be turned back to the "no delay" side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:
imawesome13131313 wrote:

Ok, clear now, but Vote Cubes are placed in the Parliament boxes mostly after Elections, so after the Political Phase and therefore when the Pools have been emptied, unless the player has used just a few cubes. So I'm puzzled, having deeply play-tested the game and never encountered such issue...

Edit: Also, even when the Vote Cubes are placed in the Parliament boxes as a consequence of a "Influence a Minor Party" Bonus Operation as per the 'Effects of Government Coalition' rule on page 7 of the Rules Book, this happens during the Resolve Actions step of the Political Phase. This means that Pool Cubes have been already employed to support the Actions on the map and, therefore, the players' Pools are empty (or they just have a few cubes). Furthermore, 'Effects of Government Coalition' rule does not force players to add Vote Cubes.

Yes what we noticed is that often times funding cubes were accumulating from turn to turn (mainly for the SDs) because there were to few PPs to get them all into play and you often had to few cubes in the reserve to do certain things with those.

Perhaps I have missed some mechanic that allows the cubes to be shifted back to the reserve from the pool.
Very often a few cubes remained in the pool after turn 1, then those cubes plus some more cubes remained after turn 2 and so on so it grew worse each turn we felt that we perhaps missed some crucial rule on how to use the funding cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
calvinus wrote:

Ok so that symbol designates that political support symbols and funding symbols on the tokens in that area will be added to the fascist player for example?

Yes, check the matching symbols on Population Markers in the three areas of the Ideology Track as per each Ideology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
calvinus wrote:
Svarthand wrote:

Ok I formulated myself badly. What I meant is that once you use law action for example to get it to the delay side will it always remain on that side for the rest of the game or have I missed some step during the turn when it should be turned back to the "no delay" side?

The Markers remain on the Delay side until flipped over for any other reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
calvinus wrote:
imawesome13131313 wrote:

Yes what we noticed is that often times funding cubes were accumulating from turn to turn (mainly for the SDs) because there were to few PPs to get them all into play and you often had to few cubes in the reserve to do certain things with those.

Perhaps I have missed some mechanic that allows the cubes to be shifted back to the reserve from the pool.
Very often a few cubes remained in the pool after turn 1, then those cubes plus some more cubes remained after turn 2 and so on so it grew worse each turn we felt that we perhaps missed some crucial rule on how to use the funding cubes.

The cards of Social-Democracy are quite powerful (PPs). Are you sure that you played correctly?

For example: you expend 1 PP to plan an Arrest Action in an Area, the Arrest Action chit allows you to freely place up to 4 Pool Cubes in the Area. Did you miss this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:
The cards of Social-Democracy are quite powerful (PPs). Are you sure that you played correctly?

For example: you expend 1 PP to plan an Arrest Action in an Area, the Arrest Action chit allows you to freely place up to 4 Pool Cubes in the Area. Did you miss this point?

Yes that is indeed the reason for our misunderstanding. When we read the rules we confused the "pool" with with the "reserve" when we read that part and applied a +1 PP cost for adding funding cubes during planning...that definatly changes things greatly. No wonder it felt wierd for us. Thank you for pointing this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
calvinus wrote:

Yes that is indeed the reason for our misunderstanding. When we read the rules we confused the "pool" with with the "reserve" when we read that part and applied a +1 PP cost for adding funding cubes during planning...that definatly changes things greatly. No wonder it felt wierd for us. Thank you for pointing this out.

Yes absolutely!!!

Also remember that the cards with the ? symbol in the counter allow you to freely place Action chits with Reserve Cubes.
Such cards are VERY powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:

Also remember that the cards with the ? symbol in the counter allow you to freely place Action chits with Reserve Cubes.
Such cards are VERY powerful.

Yes at least we got that part right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
...and applied a +1 PP cost for adding funding cubes during planning...

This is correct for Reserve Cubes.
Also, this is correct when you place a Cube in addition to the number of cubes placed for free up to the Cube Allowance printed on the Action chit.

Example: you expend 2 PPs to place a Putsch Action chit in Cologne with 4 Pool cubes, then you expend 1 PP to place an additional Pool Cube in Cologne and 2 PPs to place another Cube taken from the Reserves (1 PP because it's an additional one and 1 PP because it's from the Reserve).

More examples can be found in the Rules and Play Books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
calvinus wrote:
Svarthand wrote:
...and applied a +1 PP cost for adding funding cubes during planning...

This is correct for Reserve Cubes.
Also, this is correct when you place a Cube in addition to the number of cubes placed for free up to the Cube Allowance printed on the Action chit.

Example: you expend 2 PPs to place a Putsch Action chit in Cologne with 4 Pool cubes, then you expend 1 PP to place an additional Pool Cube in Cologne and 2 PPs to place another Cube taken from the Reserves (1 PP because it's an additional one and 1 PP because it's from the Reserve).

More examples can be found in the Rules and Play Books.

While you're here, can I ask a quick rules question? When an action chit is left over (flipped) from the previous round(s), are you allowed the free cube usage again, or do you have to spend PPs to place cubes any cubes on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phillip, you must pay 1 PP per Pool Cube placed in the area where the Action chit is already present, either if from the previous round or placed in the current one (in this second case it means you have already placed for free the entire Cube Allowance of the chit and you're placing more cubes).

The reason of such rule, for the chits placed in previous turns, is that you must support the unrest activity in the area in order to really destabilize the nation. I mean, if you create turmoil and disorder with strikes, demonstrations, lockouts etc. on round 1, then you must "maintain" this uprising state on later round(s) if you want to overthrow the government. Otherwise, if no cube (funding) supports the unrest in the area, the chit's Action, when again resolved on later rounds, will probably fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
calvinus wrote:
Phillip, you must pay 1 PP per Pool Cube placed in the area where the Action chit is already present, either if from the previous round or placed in the current one (in this second case it means you have already placed for free the entire Cube Allowance of the chit and you're placing more cubes).

The reason of such rule, for the chits placed in previous turns, is that you must support the unrest activity in the area in order to really destabilize the nation. I mean, if you create turmoil and disorder with strikes, demonstrations, lockouts etc. on round 1, then you must "maintain" this uprising state on later round(s) if you want to overthrow the government. Otherwise, if no cube (funding) supports the unrest in the area, the chit's Action, when again resolved on later rounds, will probably fail.

Okay, good, I played it right, then. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.