England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Report on TGM Spring 2017 - 14th May 2017

(Report of TGM previous December) very photo heavy - Tokyo Game Market - photo report - 11 December 2017

I returned to Tokyo for the Spring Game Market. This was a more relaxed visit for me, I took only 300+ photos. Link to the whole album

Mostly I bought the games I missed buying at the previous show, so there was little brand new at the show that caught my eye. Most significant though was both the size, this show was over 600 exhibitors, and the return of many doujin circles I’d not seen for years. The growth in boardgames in Japan continues apace. I wonder if it can be sustained, or will it be a bubble?

It was also the first time I could talk with a lot of people using only English. My friend Saigo was with me part of the time, and I met enough people demo’ing games with English good enough for me to follow. I reckon about 30% of the show was doable in English, and big advance on previous years.

It had been hot in May, but Tokyo that week was cloudy and wet. I walked the now familiar path, and gained the privileged Press pass.
DSC07995
DSC07996
DSC07999

New 2nd edition of Tokyo Highway, bigger pieces, and expansions Tokyo Highway Expansion. The publisher itten was looking for distribution deals, not to license publication. HATSUDEN was their new game.
DSC08001
DSC08003
DSC08005

BakaFire had a new expansion/collection out.
DSC08007
Later the huge pile was much reduced.
DSC08210

The queue outside.
DSC08009

Kuuri Keikaku (空理計画) has a new abstract game, Herati.
DSC08012

CESSPOOL - a Japanese game about drugs gangs??? Drew a lot of attention at the show.
DSC08014
DSC08015

Bremens Games - this group was promoting a sort of game analysis/record keeping system. The idea is you record your games played in a booklet and plot the experience of the game on a graph. I’ve seen this pentagon graph elsewhere in Japan but not outside Japan. The idea is, by grading the game on five aspects, you get a visual key, which makes game comparable. I think.
https://sites.google.com/site/bremengamesofficial/games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_chart
DSC08111
DSC08114
DSC08115

Whereas this is a word game using a radar chart. You deduce the other players word from the graph they make. - Status
DSC08017

As before, so many mysteries…
DSC08024
DSC08025
DSC08022
DSC08030
DSC08032
DSC08059
DSC08060
DSC08061
DSC08063
DSC08065
DSC08067
DSC08099
DSC08106

I think this is ants laying paths.
DSC08026

Régalez - Proks - Nine Beasts and Crusaders in Moosingal
DSC08041
DSC08043
DSC08044
DSC08045

From an anime in which JP schoolgirls have to fight tank battles
DSC08047
DSC08048

Books of artwork from games
DSC08092
DSC08093
DSC08094

Hammer Works has many many games and still eludes us.
DSC08098

One I bought, this is about a magic mountain in Japan that does or does not exist. When I mentioned it to Saigo, he immediately recognised the place.
DSC08101

More of I have no idea what this is…
DSC08134
DSC08135
DSC08136
DSC08174
DSC08175
DSC08192
DSC08194

Tomorrow, I May Die
DSC08138

Baseball is the main spectator sport in Japan but does not often appear in doujin games.
DSC08159
DSC08158

An example of the changes I’m seeing; this publisher had taken a large area for a game in JP and ENG.
DSC08203
Another example, people are making a point of saying they have English rules.
DSC08213

So many unknowns…
DSC08209
DSC08225
DSC08228
DSC08230
DSC08229
DSC08242
DSC08248
DSC08249

Some English chap was living in Japan - EX1ST GAMES
DSC08212

This time, I made a point to visit ショーナン (Shownan)!! A prolific and entertaining designer.
DSC08233
DSC08231
DSC08232
DSC08235

This game got a lot of attention, always a group around the table trying it out. It’s a sort of dating game, but I think you’re trying to break up other couples. So the positive cards are virtues, the negative cards are things like ‘she’s a bitch!’. I think.
DSC08245
DSC08244
DSC08246
DSC08243

Detective Of Amnesia
DSC08264
DSC08262
DSC08265

These halls are vast. Each year, the show moves to a bigger and bigger hall. At the doorway is the JP Post Office stand.
DSC08285
DSC08286

This game got a lot of attention too. Koroura by Protocraft. https://twitter.com/protocraft_bg
Rules explained here below.
DSC08301
DSC08302
DSC08303

By 4pm, people are already packing up. Once they’ve sold out, there’s little more to do.
DSC08306
DSC08307
DSC08308

And at 5pm, another Game Market is over.
DSC08311
DSC08312
DSC08316

And home we go.
DSC08322

I could have filled this page with shot after shot of unknown games. So much stuff we will never comprehend.

- my battery ran out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posa
United States
Lebanon
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Do you know anything about that game with the dice inside the little tanks (?)? Intrigued...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DylanP wrote:
Very cool! Do you know anything about that game with the dice inside the little tanks (?)? Intrigued...

Only the name. Obviously its a sort of abstract battle game and the dice are relevant, but what actually happens, I dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
Part of me is dying to go to the next TGM. The other part - the one with the death grip on my wallet - is saying, "Over my dead body."

DylanP wrote:

They have the rulebook on Twitter. Here's a rough translation:

Koroura is a two-player game played with three tanks (and three dice) each on a five-by-five grid. The tanks move differently according to the pips on the dice (see Twitter image for details). The objective is to win by capturing the opponent's boss tank.

A. Setting up

1. One player takes three white tanks, two white dice, and one black die. The other takes three black tanks, two black dice, and one white die. The tank with the differently colored die is the boss tank.
NOTE: Actually, the dice seem to be orange and purple. I'm just simplifying here.

2. Place the tanks on the board so they face each other (see Twitter image for details).
NOTE: The rules do not state where the boss tanks should go, so I'm guessing it's up to the player to decide.

3. Both players roll their dice. The player with the highest total goes first. Reroll if tied.

4. Beginning with the starting player, the players place their dice on their tanks.

B. Turns

1. Roll a die
Take one die from one of your tanks, roll the die, then put it back on the tank.

2. Combos
You may use any combos that apply.

634 - Move two tanks once each this turn.
526 - Move one tank twice this turn.
555 - Move all your tanks one space forward.
461 - Your tanks cannot be captured on your opponent's next turn.
315 - You can change your dice values to whatever you want. However, you can't move this turn.

3. Move a tank
Choose one of your tanks and move it. This does not have to be the tank with the die you rolled. You can't move into a space with another of your tanks.

4. Capture a tank
If an opponent's tank is in the space your tank moved to, remove it from the board.

C. Optional rule

When only your boss tank remains, you can roll and move twice per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:
Part of me is dying to go to the next TGM. The other part - the one with the death grip on my wallet - is saying, "Over my dead body."

You should go. In December, the show will be on two days. Book a room in Tokyo on airbnb. Roll out to the show. Have a blast.

Laissez K wrote:

They have the rulebook on Twitter. Here's a rough translation:

Koroura is a two-player game played with three tanks (and three dice) each on a five-by-five grid. The tanks move differently according to the pips on the dice (see Twitter image for details). The objective is to win by capturing the opponent's boss tank.

I missed that condition at first, it's worth looking at the sheet. It makes a big difference, and I think this looks like a fun game now.

Thank you for running through the rules. This is very very helpful.

If I can pester you a little to help some more please...

We desperately need more rules translations. There's a slew of requests here: Japanese -> English Translation Request List and in the earlier list here: Japanese -> English Translation Request List. Getting even basic texts is better than nothing.

And we need info on old and new doujin games please: http://goo.gl/ZjyWbq #ゲムマ

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic post, thanks for sharing!

Wonderful photos full of intriguing, beautiful-looking games (even if I have no idea what I'm looking at!). I'd love to see some of them make the leap into English-language versions at some point. Like you said, so much incomprehensible here. Really great aesthetics, though!

Thanks again, looking forward to a Geek List at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
Fantastic post, thanks for sharing!

Thank you.

Adverb wrote:
Wonderful photos full of intriguing, beautiful-looking games (even if I have no idea what I'm looking at!). I'd love to see some of them make the leap into English-language versions at some point. Like you said, so much incomprehensible here. Really great aesthetics, though!

Yes, I wish I could buy (almost) all of them. So much intrigue.

Adverb wrote:
Thanks again, looking forward to a Geek List at some point.

Here you go: 日本のゲームを世界に広めよう! Bringing Japanese games to BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the photos, really interesting to see so many small games and most a mystery.

BULLA AUREA 1356 looks really interesting, do you know if it'll go on general sale or is it a convention only release?

I'm leaving for Tokyo in a few weeks, I always go in October so miss the game market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurcucumber wrote:
Thanks for the photos, really interesting to see so many small games and most a mystery.

BULLA AUREA 1356 looks really interesting, do you know if it'll go on general sale or is it a convention only release?

I'm leaving for Tokyo in a few weeks, I always go in October so miss the game market

Thank you.

EDIT: to give a specific answer, I don't racall seeing his games in shops. I think you need to obtain them from him directly. I'll ask.

The designer will produce his games on demand. As in, he'll print anything out of his back catalogue. But I don't think he has English rules for his games. You'd need to ask him. http://shownan.exblog.jp/

If you're not on twitter, message me your email and I can put you in touch. https://twitter.com/hypnoss

There are other game shows in Japan but TGM is the big one.
all the JP game shows in one place in English shows there is one on 1st October in Asakusa.
http://bgaf.jp/

You'll want this too: a map of game shops in and around Japan - please add

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone enjoying this item, jump back to the top and look at the thread for the previous show. More novelty there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurcucumber wrote:

The designer says...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
arthurcucumber wrote:

The designer says...

Thank you

I'm leaving tomorrow so I'll see if I can find a copy of it next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.