Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Cicero
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a situation come up in my game that I don't see explicity covered in the rules, so I'm curious if I handled it right.

In the last daylight turn, I had one flight attack each of Tokyo and Nagoya. They did some damage, and a number of "stay" hazards were placed. Then, in the first night turn, an additional flights attached each city.

I went ahead and flipped the maps to their night side, left the detonation marker, blast markers, and all the daylight "stay" hazards in place, but then drew all the new hazards using the night chits.

This seamed reasonable, but it did result in me having to draw less of the reaction chits, since I had more chits available for each city. However, it did cause one odd result since I drew the Ryuho marker once in each attack. I ended up just discarding the night time one -- I probably should have redrawn a replacement, but since I was already drawing maximum hazards in every zone (alert level 4) I decided to give myself a small break. whistle

The other thing I wasn't sure about was the lights out roll in this situation. As far as I could tell, the only impact on lights out is the roll modifier for the alert level, so I played that rule as written, resulting in both cities still having their lights on for the night attack. This struck me as a bit odd, since one would think as soon as the attacks started the cities would be blacked out, but I don't see anything in the rules about that. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
Day to Night: You did it right. Attacking at night is safer. There is less risk of running into those Response Hazards even without transitioning from to day to night, but even more so when that happens. In fact, a good strategy is to have the tail end of your B-25 stream hit at night, following behind raiders that hit during the day. Just as it gets dangerous, those guys in the rear get the cover of darkness. Nicely done. Of course, hitting all at once is even better.

Ryuho: A redundant hazard. What you did was reasonable.

Lights Out: The air raid happened during the day. The planes came and went. The sirens wailed and then cycled down. Calm was restored. Life resumed. After all, it wasn't a big raid. And then...another air raid.

Keep in mind that this was early in the war and Japan was winning big. Although Tokyo rehearsed air raids, it still seemed remote to most denizens. It wouldn't take long for the Japanese to learn to live with war at night, but in April 1942, the war was something happening elsewhere. However, if it really bothers you, it's a solitaire game. House rule a modifier, or just turn the lights off, if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cicero
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had four flights enter the flight zone over Japan at the last day phase, so I decided to have two of them aquire targets during the wind phase with a severe crosswind. Dolittle with his re-roll and another flight that had the fuel conservation pilot, to mitigate the guzzle check.

I wasn't aware of the nuances of the hazard chits, but I did want to try to get in and do some damage, since the blast markers would help the later flights aquire the targets. Worked out pretty well, all things considered...

Makes sense that in the early war, blackout discipline in Japan wouldn't have been very good. No one could actually get there to bomb them, after all...

And no, I'm not going to make this game HARDER by adding a house rule, thank you very much. I think you've done that well enough on your own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.