Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning - spoilers for Pieces of a Broken World follow. If you're not a Storyteller, I recommend that you leave this thread!

My family has finished Preludes, and we've now moved on to Pieces a Broken World. I'm going to run it epic-style, with the Whispers of Wonder adventures integrated into the story-line. If I wasn't so busy at the moment, I would consider coming up with my own adventures too, but for now, I'll go with the adventures in the box.

We have just done the second quest in Pieces, and wow, this was fun. It felt pretty epic to meet Scheherazade, Fidgwick and Gump, after reading about them in the various books, and it was great fun for me, the Storyteller, to role-play the two Grumboks. The city itself is such a rich place, too, and the chilled-out style of the first two scenes was a really nice change of pace.

Preludes gave us a solid (and fun) grounding in the game, and I'd definitely recommend running at least one or two of these adventures before moving on to Pieces. As a result, I was able to take my time during the city tour, describing the different areas as the players visited them. I think if I was still learning the game, this might have been a bit overwhelming, and I'd probably have gone through a lot quicker, just hitting the various story points without providing more detail.

With the Big Finish for this adventure, I found I had to play fairly fast and loose to keep the difficulty level right. With only two Poppins, they had to be able to move around and explore the observatory before declaring actions, or else they'd have stood little chance. As it played out, it was incredibly tense, with things going very badly at first, but them turning it around at the end, ejecting the Gremlins with the Disaster tracker on 9.

The campaign looks like it's going to be an epic and very memorable story, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thank you for sharing!!

I'm so excited to hear about someone playing the campaign! I'm playing through it with my family right now too! It's the one part of the game/world that I have saved for them to experience in the final form (mostly, my 11 year old daughter has played Chapter 1 a lot because it used to be our demo adventure, and she played Chapters 2&3 a loooong time ago but barely remembers. It's all fresh for my 8 year old son, and although my husband has read it all, it's a different feeling *playing* it) It has been really exciting and it's been long enough since we worked on and playtested it that it feels fresh and new for me even.

We finished Chapter 3 last night and WHOA WAS IT TENSE! There were 42365467 questions about what would have happened if things went the other way. Like they couldn't handle finally reaching a point where they didn't know EVERYTHING (they consider themselves Storm Hollow experts you know!) I've been adding in as much additional stuff as I can, such as letting the Riftwalker find one of Lodran's pages at the Firegem Falls with an Explore check in Chapter 1 and learn the Summon Secret Power (and another at the Rainbow Prism in Chapter 3), spicing up a few things around Venture with the Rumors and Resources cards, and letting them make their own custom kits once they finished Chapter 2 at the observatory.

I've been considering blogging about our campaign, but I'm not sure if that would be too spoiler-ish. I don't want to influence how anyone else develops their story. Hmmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jai Bishop
Australia
Lawnton
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would encourage you to blog your experiences as it will give us the chance to see how the campaigns are run, things to look out for and will improve our chances of running a smother game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think blogging would be a problem re. spoilers, as long as you include prominent spoiler warnings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.