Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Last year there was been a slew of yahtzee games : One Deck Dungeon, Roll Player, Deep Space D-6, similar in principle to the perennial King of Tokyo.

Let me say that I profoundly dislike KoT, which I only played once. I think this was due to the fact that I had the feeling that I could not build anything, too random. I can totally understand that with more plays I could get the hang of the game, but I disliked that first time so much that I won't play it again.

This is probably why I have avoided the games mentioned above. This being said, I own and love playing dice games like Troyes and The Voyages of Marco Polo.

So my questions are the following, to those who played these games: are they based on similar principles, or are there features that really distinguish them? Am I missing some important game of the same kind? Which game(s) would you recommend based on the above checkered experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you like the physicality of rolling the dice (who doesn't?) but want to temper the random nature of the rolls?

Could Dice City or Machi Koro be more up your street then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played One Deck Dungeon and Roll Player.

One Deck Dungeon is somewhat yahtzee like but the dice are mitigated by your skills. Even when you fail to adequately win an encounter, you still win the card, you just suffer penalties (time or wounds). So regardless of the dice outcome you're gaining a reward which is a player-decision (experience, skill, weapon, potion). The end result is you will lose initial battles because of the random roll, but with smart decisions you will progress anyway and typically win all late game battles, regardless of the roll. That might be too much randomness regardless. It's a light filler, plays quick, has real decisions ... but is still beholden to the random roll.

Roll PLayer isn't yahtzee-like at all. Dice are rolled and are individually drafted by each player from a common pool, so (like The Castles of Burgundy) all players have the same impact from a 'good' or 'bad' roll. And pretty much the entire rest of the game is about planning how best to use the dice to achieve specific goals which are mitigated by purchasable equipment/skills/talents and dice placement rewards. There is very little in this game that is dictated by the actual die face rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I've only played One Deck Dungeon and Roll Player.

One Deck Dungeon is somewhat yahtzee like but the dice are mitigated by your skills. Even when you fail to adequately win an encounter, you still win the card, you just suffer penalties (time or wounds). So regardless of the dice outcome you're gaining a reward which is a player-decision (experience, skill, weapon, potion). The end result is you will lose initial battles because of the random roll, but with smart decisions you will progress anyway and typically win all late game battles, regardless of the roll. That might be too much randomness regardless. It's a light filler, plays quick, has real decisions ... but is still beholden to the random roll.

Roll PLayer isn't yahtzee-like at all. Dice are rolled and are individually drafted by each player from a common pool, so (like The Castles of Burgundy) all players have the same impact from a 'good' or 'bad' roll. And pretty much the entire rest of the game is about planning how best to use the dice to achieve specific goals which are mitigated by purchasable equipment/skills/talents and dice placement rewards. There is very little in this game that is dictated by the actual die face rolled.

Completely agree with this assessment. Neither One Deck Dungeon or Roll Player are true Yahtzee style games. ODD does have you rolling to fulfill a task, but as mentioned, this is offset by the fact that you WILL get the card afterwards for loot, so it is more about choosing your path wisely to get the right skills and equipment. Roll Player is a brain burner, with so many ways to reach your goal and so many variables that you can affect, you can see why it won a Mensa award!
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.