Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after just now realizing that there's a PNP of this available, I took a few reads of the rulebook, and am starting to get an idea (there's a few oddities, but since this is still in development that's expected.) I do have a few questions though...

1) It looks like workers, managers, and salespeople are permanent upon acquisition, whereas resources aren't. If a company runs out of factories to put workers and managers on, they *can't* get more, but they could buy a factory extension for more room for more workers and manager spaces. On the other hand, once room for salesmen run out, that company will never need, nor be able to, acquire further salesmen for the rest of the game. Am I getting this straight?

2) Most 18xx games have an element of transferring things from one company to another (usually trains though some like throwing wrinkles in for good measure.) There's no mention of that in the rules, so I assume that isn't allowed at all? (I could see why if the developers didn't want to focus on company raids and dumps.) It seems like as written there's no "synergy bonus" for having multiple companies, it just gives you more things to try to build up.

3) One of the appeal bonuses is a +1 production boost, as long as there's at least 1 factory running. Is that just on the turn that it's acquired? If multiple are acquired, do they stack, and if they do is a separate factory required for each +1?

4) I'm still confused as to the acquisition of partners. The rulebook does not have a indicator as to how to get more, save for the once per game appeal bonus (...which I'm assuming is for the rest of the game, which is why that's limited to once a game.) There's no other mention in the rules as to how to get more. The board has a few more hints, the icon on round #3 building spaces imply that everyone gets another partner to play with at that stage, and there's a cryptic "All factories produce == partner" that I'm not sure what that means. And since there's a goal involved I assume there's more to it than just "get one company to a certain appeal level" to max out partners. Could you clarify more on this?

5) Can a player buy a share and then start a company on the same stock round turn? (The rules as written say yes, but 18xx logic says no)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Chandler III
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hey Jason,

I'm going to respond with the current ruleset (not necessarily the ruleset in the PnP rulebook). These rules may not work with the current PnP, but I would recommend you try them. (This is a general problem with games in development. Haha)

1) Workers, Managers, and Salespeople are permanent. Resources are not. If you do not have room for the Workers, Managers, or Salespeople you cannot take the action to gain them. (no denial plays) You are right.

2) There is no transfer of assets between companies.

3) The bonus is on *every* turn that company runs whether it produces goods or not. The bonus isn't tied to a factory. They do stack.

4) You automatically get another parter in round 3. You get another partner by having one of your companies reach the appeal bonus on the appeal track (max: once). You get another partner when you power all the factories in a single company you are the director of (max: once). For a total of 5 potential partners.

5) It's sell, then buy. Buying a certificate and starting a company is one and the same. If you start a company, your stock turn is over. If you buy a share, your stock turn is over. The stock round is 18xx, in that you get multiple turns in clockwise fashion until everyone passes in sucessesion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Development!

#3 surprised me but it seems like a nice reward for focusing on the appeal track, but it also doesn't seem easy to move up on that track either, so it looks like it balances out.

The rest seemed as expected. Now just to work on the arts and crafts of printing this guy off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.