Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I don't see how the Germans can survive Dec 20th unless luck is clearly on their side... very tough and very frustrating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoitl33 wrote:
Wow, I don't see how the Germans can survive Dec 20th unless luck is clearly on their side... very tough and very frustrating!

I have to agree with your analysis, Ben. I played a few campaign games so far and if I were to play a money game tomorrow, I would definitely pick the Allies. If you think the 20th is hard, wait until the Out-of-Fuel threat rears its ugly head on the 21st...

You win with the Germans if you can manage to achieve a VERY meaningful breakout (Most probably with the Purple Corps in the 5th Panzer Army, sorry, can't bother to remember roman numerals) and cross the Meuse on the 17th (It's tough even on the 18th, especially if you didn't draw the "Eisenhower hesitates" event as these newly arrived units will cut your supply and deny you the 10-VP payload).

My other win came when I was able to exit the map with almost the entirety of an almost intact 1st SS Corps (Just as the 2nd SS Corps was about to show up to guard the rear). And I believe that is a key strategy, you have to divert the reinforcements to patch these holes so that the middle remains lightly defended. You can't pull that trick with the other armies since the 5th Panzer Army can only exit the map to the west and the 7th Army is no match for the Allied units in the South.

"Starving" units by surrounding them takes too much time, by the time they are OOS or Isolated, sure, you will probably be able to defeat them but there will be a defending front at this point and you won't be able to progress anymore. An Elite Defender or a tank in a Forest hex can be a tough challenge in itself, as a single "D-2" chit is enough to throw an entire attack into disarray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcon wrote:
I have to agree with your analysis, Ben.

It's the shortest "analysis" I ever wrote! lol

The relative ease at which the Allies can bring on the Reserves compared to the G Solo version plays a big role. I was wondering if we played it wrong and re-checked the rules.

Also, the alternating impulses card-for-card does not help. In the G Solo there are better opportunities to exploit gaps than in the 2P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
When playing allies 2P, I would love to deploy reserves on the 16th and 17th as they are done in GS. I would hardly call placing a division in one hex and hoping for the chance to spread out, "ease of deployment".

I do agree that the German has an extremely difficult task. I reckon the German cause can suffer no more than two failed combat results in the early turns. And these can easily happen.

I do find it quite an entertaining experience playing either side, but generally once you have finished the 19th December turn you are able to predict on which turn the Germans will lose and can call a halt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play 2P, I either increase the German supp. card allowance by 1 on each of the 1st 3 turns or reduce the allied supp. card allowance by the same amount.

Only tried it twice so far tho.

Still a 10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoitl33 wrote:

It's the shortest "analysis" I ever wrote! lol

That's because I knew, coming from you, that your statement was based on an intricate theory, it's just that you didn't bother sharing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calxx55 wrote:
When I play 2P, I either increase the German supp. card allowance by 1 on each of the 1st 3 turns or reduce the allied supp. card allowance by the same amount.

Only tried it twice so far tho.

Still a 10!

IMHO, the Germans need some help after the first 3 turns. I would fear that, by doing what you are proposing, I would just increase the number of "Oh, look, it's December 17th and we crossed the Meuse already!" scenarios, which typically leads to the Allied player folding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

Marco, you may be right.

That is why I leave game design to others. Its hard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.