14 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Crawling Chaos: How Do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
mb
Okay, so I've had this game for quite the while now, but one problem has remained: Crawling Chaos' win rate.

Okay, it's time for backstory. I have only seen Crawling Chaos win once, and that was because it capitalized on the complete destruction two other factions were wrecking upon each other. I quite frequently teach this game to new players, so I saddle myself with Crawling Chaos often. I have yet to win, and some days, I'm not trying to pull punches.

I can't quite pin down what I'm doing wrong, so I turn to the community and ask: How Do Crawling Chaos?

And I'm asking about 1st-turn Roll-outs, timing of when to buy the 4-cost and 6-cost spellbooks, when to summon Nyarly and how to apply him. I seriously want the full 9 yards, because even after more than a year of owning the base game and a good 9 months owning two faction expansions, I still no know How Do Crawling Chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One possible strategy:

First round:
• Build a new gate (4 power to move Cultist and build)
• Summon a Nightgaunt (1 power)
• Capture a Cultist for your first spellbook (1 power to move, 1 to capture)Use your last power as you like (you might be able to move in a Culstist and take over a gate if you were able to capture a lone Cultist occupying one; that'll give you another spellbook)

Second round:
• Summon Nyarlathotep (10 power). If you don't have it yet and you will have at least 1 power left, take Thousand Forms; you'll either gain more power or or reduce your opponents' power for the round. If you don't, take Emissary of the Outer Gods so he's protected. But you should have at least 11 power in round 2 if you were able to capture a Cultist in the first round.

Third round:
This is where things get trickier. You will probably have three spellbooks by now. Try to get a fourth gate and/or spend some power for a spellbook. Seek and Destroy is a good one to have; if you do, build Hunting Horrors. If you're worried about being attacked, take Invisibility and build a Polyp or two. Get your last spellbooks ASAP. Try to stall until the end of a round and use Thousand Forms when your enemies don't have enough power to deny your power gain, then hop around and attack at will.

The main thing to remember is that you WANT to fight against other GOOs. Every fight against a GOO in which you can deal a pain or kill to a GOO (or assign a pain to Nyarlathotep) means either a bunch of power or two Elder Signs for you. It can mean a lot of points after a few fights.

Even if he dies in a fight, if you've at least pained the other GOO you're looking at two Elder Signs, and probably about half the power you need to bring Nyarly back into play. Seek and Destroy makes sure you always have extra attack dice and shields for Nyarly. The faction is great at sniping gates with its 2-space movement and cheap units that can remove enemies from play or battle at will.

Madness is also great for putting enemy units where YOU want them to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have High Priests, your first round can be 2nd Gate + High Priest + Monster or Anticipatory Move. That sets you up for 11 Power for Turn 2, which is enough to bring out Nyarly, take Thousand Forms, and then use it; hopefully you can then use that power to Capture a Cultist with Nyarly. That sets you up for a strong Turn 3, where your options expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
Here is my take on it (make no mistake, I have made it almost a personal challenge to play well with Crawling Chaos! )

For this playstyle, I will suppose that your opponents will not make any obvious mistakes, like going for three Gates on the first round.

Turn 1: Preparations.
Moving to build a second Gate away from enemies will take 4 Power. Now, with the remaining four, you can:
1) Recruit a High Priest at your second Gate and have him Control it to make it Dreams-Proof and then Summon a Nightgaunt there.
2) If you don't use High Priests, you can Summon your first Hunting Horror, now that you can afford to spend that Power in one go. Use your last Power to move another Acolyte to a third Area, so that you can build your third Gate as your first Action next round.
3) If there is an unprotected Cultist of a Powerless faction (if Yellow Sign goes for the Turn-Two-Hastur scheme, for example), do not hesitate to spend your last 3 (or 4) Power Summoning a Nightgaunt (or a Flying Polyp) and going for the capture.
3.1) If it was a Nightgaunt, you can move a cultist to a new Area, like in 2).

Spellbook: I propose the Invisibility if it's a Flying Polyp (you want it to be invulnerable). If it's a Nightgaunt, either Abduct to have them serve as a deterrents on the second and third turn, or Emissary of the Outer Gods if you choose the risky way.

Turn 2: The turn of choices.
1) If you are at 11 Power, due to having captured a Cultist and either you feel like playing really risky, or if you want to force everyone to awaken Great Old Ones that round, Go for Nyarlathotep + Thousand Forms, awakening It at your lightly-defended Gate. Hope for the best with Thousand Forms.
2) If you want a more conservative approach, or if your group is aggressive, build your third Gate with the Cultist you had moved last round.
2.1) You could at this point, conceivably, build a fourth Gate with 4 Power, or even Summon a Flying Polyp, Move it to a lightly-defended Gate with a Cultist, Initiate battle having a Hunting Horror join you and hope to take that Gate by making the opposing creature invisible and hoping for a Pain or Kill. (pros: sets back an opponent, cons: costs your last 5 Power, that is all your Power if you did not capture a Cultist first turn, has 7/8 chances of success instead of 100%)
3) If you wish to poise yourself for the win, you have to try your best to get to four Gates this round, so that you will have enough Power to react next round to opponents truing to strike you down.

Spellbooks: You can expect to gain two Spellbooks this round. One of them should probably be Madness, as there will be battles from the third round onward. The other should be related to the Monster you intend to focus on, next round. If you have three Spellbooks, one of them should be Seek and Destroy before the next round.

Turn 3: Mayhem Turn.
1) Awaken Nyarlathotep on a lightly-defended Gate (taking Thousand Forms) if you did not do so the previous round.
2) Τry to stall with Nightgaunts until you find an opportune moment to use the Thousand Forms.
3) On the off chance that your opponents decide to give you Power (they won't ever do so if they have Power left), get a Spellbook now that you have the chance.
4) Expect to lose a Gate. Try to not have them take a second as well. This is your last chance to retain Gates without fighting for them, as there probably will be one or two other Factions that awakened their Great Old Ones this round.
5) If you can use Madness on someone else's battle to deliver a Pained Cultist to your Monsters for a capture for your Spellbook (if you have not done so), do so.
6)If you awakened Nyarlathotep last turn and other Factions have yet to achieve 6 Spellbooks, ABUSE EMISSARY OF THE OUTER GODS WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE. You may gain a Gate or two out of it.

Turn 4: Your Turn.
1) Now is your peak turn, if you were not struck down last turn. Summon your last Hunting Horror and try to get your last spellbook if there is a chance, otherwise leave it for the next turn.
2) If you can use Madness on someone else's battle to deliver a Pained Cultist to your Monsters for a capture for your Spellbook (if you have not done so), do so.
3) Avoid seriously fighting to keep a Gate under heavy assault - just move your hunting Horror and Cultist away - your Flying Polyps can take care of themselves and your Nightgaunts are can be considered stationary meatshields if you ever choose to come back. Take another Gate with Nyarlathotep.

Turn 5: The suicidal turn.
1) Stall at all cost.
2) Gain your sixth Spellbook, whichever that may be.
3) Given a chance to make a series of Battles, being Pained from an Area to the next, fighting three or four times in a row against Great Old Ones, take it. Even if you use up all your forces, you can get 4-8 Elder Signs out of your Great Old One, perhaps even 4-5 Power to bring Nyarlathotep back if It is Killed. Then turtle.
4) If you did this, throw Nyarlathotep in harm's way whenever another Gate of yours is threatened: It is unkillable if not facing a Great Old One and gains Elder Signs if facing One. A defensive use of Emissary of the Outer Gods and Harbinger.
5) Remember, a Great Old One gives an Elder Sign if you Ritual. A dead Nyarlathotep has already gained two, at the very least!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are writing good stuff. I just want to throw out there how funny I think it is that when CW first came out people were starting "CC is broken and always wins" threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of ard 15-20 games i played, Crawling chaos won around 6-7. Highest win rate in my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the sage advice that has already been given in this thread, it might also be helpful to remember that Crawling Chaos can try to strike a deal with other factions that might want to get an Acolyte back into their pool early in the game. Windwalker comes to mind first, but Yellow Sign (especially with Passion) and Opener of the Way might also be interested in letting CC capture one of their robed dudes so they can re-recruit them in a more convenient location.

waynez wrote:
Highest win rate in my games.

Not sure what your typical player count looks like, but I think the success of Crawling Chaos is influenced by the number of players you typically have at your table. We're frequently playing with six people, and we only had one CC victory so far out of about 20 games in total. CC's faction ability is weakened by the increased map size. It's still an advantage, of course, but it's not as strong as on a 3-player map, where CC can each every single area from his starting position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually 4p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
waynez wrote:
Out of ard 15-20 games i played, Crawling chaos won around 6-7. Highest win rate in my games.

This is where my table is at. Crawling Chaos is the one of the strongest. The threat of an early gargoyle makes everyone else play defensively. When they do CC can summon some early flying horrors; while leaving gargoyles for defense. Basically, with abduct a would-be-aggressor has to bring in more stuff, and flying horrors reacting from across the map makes CC have pretty strong early offense and defense; then they awaken the old one and pick on the easiest target. Often you will have a power lead at this point, and the spellbook that gives/takes power only secures this.

But I wouldn't say they are OP because every time someone plays yellow sign or black goat, we see all kinds of hindsight mistakes. Cthulhu (using the new rules from KS:OS3) is usually the one contending with Crawling Chaos the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Berger Pelletier
msg tools
Sarcasmorator wrote:
One possible strategy:

Even if he dies in a fight, if you've at least pained the other GOO you're looking at two Elder Signs, and probably about half the power you need to bring Nyarly back into play. Seek and Destroy makes sure you always have extra attack dice and shields for Nyarly. The faction is great at sniping gates with its 2-space movement and cheap units that can remove enemies from play or battle at will.

Can you expand on that? I thought Harbinger meant you could only take Elder Signs OR power, not both... unless you attack twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
Vhailor wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:
One possible strategy:

Can you expand on that? I thought Harbinger meant you could only take Elder Signs OR power, not both... unless you attack twice?
You are correct, Sarcasmorator probably refers to a string of battles involving Nyarlathotep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
Not sure what your typical player count looks like, but I think the success of Crawling Chaos is influenced by the number of players you typically have at your table. We're frequently playing with six people, and we only had one CC victory so far out of about 20 games in total.

Agreed. We find the same results. In lower player counts, CC's faction ability means it can set up in ideal places that are a pain in the ass for other factions to get to in a meaningful way. On crowded boards, however, CC has immediate neighbours and can no longer pull any funky stuff.

CC's win rate decreases as player count increases as far as I can see. For 3 player games, CC feels *really* OP to me.

Quote:
First round:
• Capture a Cultist for your first spellbook

What is this fictitious unprotected cultist of which you speak? No one who has played more than once will leave you such a tasty morsel. And when teaching new players, I feel it is our responsibility to very loudly and clearly explain why people must not leave a cultist unprotected at the end of turn 1 (EXCEPT: if they are last to have Power and there are no high priests, and they will be going first next turn, guaranteed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
GaryB wrote:
Quote:
First round:
• Capture a Cultist for your first spellbook

What is this fictitious unprotected cultist of which you speak? No one who has played more than once will leave you such a tasty morsel. And when teaching new players, I feel it is our responsibility to very loudly and clearly explain why people must not leave a cultist unprotected at the end of turn 1 (EXCEPT: if they are last to have Power and there are no high priests, and they will be going first next turn, guaranteed).
It does come up in three situations:

1) Yellow Sign Two-Gate opening to attempt at a turn-two Hastur awakening
2) Windwalker first-turn Gnoph-Keh opening, in order to focus on them as the backbone of your army
3) Opener of the Way Spawn of Yog-Sothoth opening, in order to either bait for an Acolyte capture to use the Million Favored Ones or to go for an early Yog-Sothoth awakening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.