Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first play last night. There are two possibilities about when you reshuffle.

1. Reshuffle as soon as the draw deck is depleted.
2. Reshuffle only when you need to draw a new card.

1 is stated directly on the player chart.
2 is implied strongly by the rulebook.

Given that replenishment of the development tokens is driven by reshuffling, this can make a big difference. So which is it?

(I'm pretty sure we didn't have any other rules questions that couldn't be settled by the components. We did misplay by putting aliens on the uninhabitable planets, which probably made the game a bit slower and more directly confrontational but otherwise wasn't a big deal.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played #2. Can't exactly remember why, but that is the way it works for the other games in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play as described in #2, primarily because that's the convention used in almost every deck-builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty clearly laid out in the rule book on p15 ("Playing the Game"), which I'd take over any other component:

"If at any time you have to draw a card and your draw pile is exhausted then you shuffle your discard pile to make a new draw deck. At the same time you flip all of your Development counters back to their front side. You also move the Shuffle marker up one space on the Shuffle track. You do this no matter what the circumstances are that caused you to shuffle your discard pile."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Strange
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
womzilla wrote:
We had our first play last night. There are two possibilities about when you reshuffle.

1. Reshuffle as soon as the draw deck is depleted.
2. Reshuffle only when you need to draw a new card.

1 is stated directly on the player chart.
2 is implied strongly by the rulebook.

I played that you reshuffle as soon as your draw the last card from the deck. The player aid text on the deck space makes that clear.

I suspect the rulebook was written to the convention. So when there is a conflict, I wonder which is more likely?

1 - MW meant to stick with convention, wrote the rulebook correctly, but then wrote the player aid incorrectly, in a place that makes no sense.

2 - MW meant to streamline reshuffles, wrote the player aid and placed it correctly, but then got sloppy with the rules wording and went with the conventional order.

To my mind #2 seems like an easy mistake, and #1 seems very improbable. That was my decision process, at least. Would love to heard an official ruling on this, since there is conflict within the game's text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 has the added bonus of being visible to each player when they pick up the last card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
We're playing #2 based on the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played #2, but I don't think any of us noticed that it was different on the player chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.