Subject: Playable solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep seeing the beautiful art for this game on the front page and I also like the theme, the Black Hand Gang & Emil and the Detectives were some of my favourite books. However I'm concerned I won't be able to get other players to commit to 5 games to play a campaign, let alone multiple campaigns. So I'm wondering if there is something (like hidden information) that would stop me from playing the game solo by controlling multiple players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
There isn't any mechanism in the base game that would prevent a single player from running 2, 3, or 4 characters.

I'm pretty sure that this holds for the campaign content, but I'll have to confirm later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-designer here. Yes, @The Chaz is correct -- and that does hold true for all the campaign content. (That's a little bit of a spoiler, I suppose: there is no traitor mechanism that gets introduced in any of the campaign modules.)

That said, playtesters continually report a high level of social interaction in the game. The mechanisms do encourage talking and teamwork, and there's a light storytelling element that emerges as you discover the specific details of your case. You'll naturally miss out on some of that playing solo. (But, for what it's worth, I have playtested the game solo a lot, acting as two or three players. I enjoy the mechanisms quite a bit.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Randy for your answer. I get what you mean about social interaction but the choice for me would be playing solo or not playing at all. The people I play with don't like coop very much and will only play occasionally, so I've stopped buying coop games unless there's a solo mode. However I've gotten used to managing multiple players on my own, so that shouldn't be a problem. Looking forward to the KS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I look forward to having you on board. :-) It's just 9 days away now, launching September 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any chance Rahdo will do a review of this game? It looks like a game he might enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, our timeline did not allow us to work with international reviewers. If we do reach our funding goal and have the opportunity to manufacture the game, I will plan to reach out to Rahdo to review the final product. (Incidentally, he did just do a runthrough of our game Lanterns a couple weeks ago.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyhoyt wrote:
Unfortunately, our timeline did not allow us to work with international reviewers. If we do reach our funding goal and have the opportunity to manufacture the game, I will plan to reach out to Rahdo to review the final product. (Incidentally, he did just do a runthrough of our game Lanterns a couple weeks ago.)

As far as I understand, since the KS is about to start, we should see reviews popping up next week. These should give us a better idea of what the gameplay looks like.

I included Spy Club on the rahdo request geeklist a few weeks ago but it only received 41 votes for the moment. We need more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh this is strange, I was certain Rahdo was going to do a runthrough. I must have gotten confused with some other game coming to KS soon. Pity, I trust his reviews the most for getting a feel of how a game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy, does that mean this game works well with only 2 players (both adults)? Would we play as 2 characters each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Virginia: The game does work well with 2 players. You'll both just play 1 character. (We increase the hand size at 2 players to keep the right amount of information in play.)

Our playtest groups have been a mix of family groups and adults-only groups. We definitely intend it to be enjoyed by 2 adults: we've tested it that way ourselves and with others many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Randy, this sounds right up our alley!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.