Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A hero may spend 1 action to quarantine a hex with an active plague and flip it back to its dormant side."

This description of the scenario action for Red Death does not technically mention the hero must be in the hex to quarantine it. And yet I have to believe that is the intent, that a hero cannot quarantine from range (i.e. 1+ hexes away).

But just double-checking in case the hero can.

--David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
"A hero may spend 1 action to quarantine a hex with an active plague and flip it back to its dormant side."

This description of the scenario action for Red Death does not technically mention the hero must be in the hex to quarantine it. And yet I have to believe that is the intent, that a hero cannot quarantine from range (i.e. 1+ hexes away).

But just double-checking in case the hero can.

--David

That was my understanding of it, and certainly makes the most sense from a logical standpoint; the heroes have to move around the board keeping things in check while trying to find a cure (à la Pandemic).

Yes, someone could technically argue otherwise, but that would be unnecessarily splitting hairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It's impossible to quarantine a place *without being* in it or it's close proximity :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
It's impossible to quarantine a place *without being* in it or it's close proximity

I'd be inclined to believe you, but #1 it isn't impossible (lines of communication could exist between the heroes and the town, etc) -- "impossible" more often than not is a limitation of imagination. #2 the rules do not say this.

Further down on the same page, the game literally states "if you have discovered the cure, a hero may spend 1 action to cure a dormant plague in his or her hex" - which, to me, gives credence to the argument quarantine does not depend on spatial elements, otherwise why not include the "in his or her hex" prohibition?

To me, since games are abstractions, the ability to quarantine any hex might be a concession to scaling concerns / general feasibility of controlling outbreaks by the player if "in the same hex" was mandated as a necessity.

Is there official errata yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. I'd suggest asking FFG directly and wait for Tony or Lukas to give an official answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. I'd suggest asking FFG directly and wait for Tony or Lukas to give an official answer

Yeah, I sent a message yesterday. It's unfortunate, as these conflicts in interpretation really mare the play experience (I hate not knowing if I'm doing it right).

Either I accept the prevailing logic in this thread (and my mind, as I'm in agreement), or I read the card as written. One option presumes FFG is incapable of saying explicitly what it intends (despite doing just that a few lines down on the same card), and the other takes the very reasonable approach of questioning why we're inventing rules that are clearly not there (and should we expect them to clarify a rule that isn't there?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Yeah, I sent a message yesterday. It's unfortunate, as these conflicts in interpretation really mare the play experience (I hate not knowing if I'm doing it right)

Thank you for asking, curious to read the final answer

Anarchosyn wrote:
Either I accept the prevailing logic in this thread (and my mind, as I'm in agreement), or I read the card as written. One presumes FFG is incapable of saying explicitly what it intends (despite doing just that a few lines down on the same card), and the other takes the very reasonable approach of questioning why we're inventing rules that are clearly not there (and should we expect them to clarify a rule that isn't there?).

This is a battle I've been fighting for eons: companies should hire professional editors to have their cards and rulebooks checked. But it's an uphill battle (not saying that all companies are the same tho, but it's difficult). I do work as freelance editor with my husband (who's editor for a few academic journals, so, he knows what he's doing), but with a ton of companies (beware, I'm not talking of FFG or ANA, I'm talking in general) always answered us "thanks, but we're good with in-house editing" and then suddenly you have stuff making no sense, poorly organized rulebooks, horrible wording on cards and people flooding the boards asking "how should I rule this or that card?", which is sad because in the end it damages the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official response received!

This makes the Red Death a horrible scenario to play 2 player. Even playing the rules as written, we found it difficult (and ultimately lost, but came very close).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Thank you for sharing Thematically has sense, but yeah, the scenario is definitely (too) difficult now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.