Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How We Like It: Evergreen
Current Rating: 9.5
Plays: 7 plays this year; 12 plays all-time
Latest Thought (September 2017) - While I have my early doubts about its gameplay length, after 10+ plays, this game has proved its place in our collection and its potentials in the future.

At its heart, it's a great Ameritrash gaming experience that's only second to Eldritch Horror. Driven by the app, each scenario presents a background story with mystery for investigators to tackle. With its intimate settings (within a mansion and or surround) and tight storyline progression (thanks to the app), for us, it has the most cohesive storyline telling elements in Ameritrash games.

While it might look intimating at first, in reality, the gameplay itself is simple and not fiddly at all. You move, interact with tokens or characters and fight enemies. Of course you roll dice while doing all that. However, as an Ameritrash game, the luck element in dice rolling is not too bad and the game is definitely beatable.

The app is the best use of tech integration in board games I've seen thus far. It simplifies all the fiddliness that typically comes with this kind of games, while not overstepping its place as an integration, not the game itself. While some may say it's not integrated that it may as well be the game itself, I think there are thematic values laying out beautiful tiles and placing characters on the table and enjoying the experience using the components of psychical form.

The game definitely is very expandable with expansions and DLC, making the game always green as long as one continue to invest time and money in it. So far, most of additional scenarios seem to be worth the money and hopefully they continue to be in the future.

thumbsup A tightly designed thematic experience that are driven by well crafted scenarios. It's probably the most cohesive in term of storytelling among all other similar games within the Arkham Horror universe by FFG.
thumbsup Although it may seem complicated at first, gameplay are really quick and simple, thanks to the awesome app integration.
thumbsup Game sessions are not overly long and always enjoyable if you are looking for something Ameritrash and/or Arkham Horror related to immerse yourself in.
thumbsup The tiles are beautifully designed and adds high degree of thematic flavours to the gameplay
thumbsup The best app integration in board games we have ever played.

Dislikes:
thumbsdown The mini bases are too big and ugly. They look like mis-design in an otherwise an exceptional game.
thumbsdown Table hog.
thumbsdown While the basegame has enough out-of-the-box scenarios to deliver its value, expansions and DLC can be expensive if one aims to continue to experience new scenarios.

For more of my played game reviews: Chris Plays These Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
an easy solution to the monster bases is to stop using the monster figs and just use the monster tiles alone. The figures for Mansions of Madness have got to be the worst fantasy flight minis ever, and I finally gave up on them (Odd, since FFG has some of the best minis in gaming ie Descent, Gears of War, etc.) Strangely the MoM investigator minis are much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
an easy solution to the monster bases is to stop using the monster figs and just use the monster tiles alone. The figures for Mansions of Madness have got to be the worst fantasy flight minis ever, and I finally gave up on them (Odd, since FFG has some of the best minis in gaming ie Descent, Gears of War, etc.) Strangely the MoM investigator minis are much better.

I am so close to just using the tiles and packing the figures away - especially since this makes storage SO much easier.

However, clunking down that massive Star Spawn figure at the climax of a scenario is just so enjoyable - I may just deal with the nuisance of the bases as it is almost worth it for that moment alone... Maybe I will keep the massive figures (rebase them on clear discs) and scrap the smaller figs?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Lacny
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
mateooo wrote:

I am so close to just using the tiles and packing the figures away - especially since this makes storage SO much easier.

However, clunking down that massive Star Spawn figure at the climax of a scenario is just so enjoyable - I may just deal with the nuisance of the bases as it is almost worth it for that moment alone... Maybe I will keep the massive figures (rebase them on clear discs) and scrap the smaller figs?...

No need for rebasing the massives figures, they will stand on their own. You can ditch the black base and cut off the pegs at the base of the Star Spawn - that is what I did. As for the small figures, I have rebased all of them, now it is much nicer to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Solfronk
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Use clear round acrylic bases (from LITKO). Snip the pegs and use LITKO's special glue- works and looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.