Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Lost Expedition» Forums » General

Subject: Guesstimate on when all the promo cards will be available for purchase. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sgt. Elias
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learned about the game, just ordered the game, now I would like to have the complete game with all those extra cards please, asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loikewoise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Giusti
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1. I'd happily pay £5 for the full set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on that request!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolstuff has exclusivity on The Lost World promo and the publisher contractually cannot provide it. So until/unless that contract expires, it might be a long wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zanti_misfit wrote:
Just learned about the game, just ordered the game, now I would like to have the complete game with all those extra cards please, asap.

What extra cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
zanti_misfit wrote:

What extra cards?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/216459/lost-expedition/e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
Coolstuff has exclusivity on The Lost World promo and the publisher contractually cannot provide it. So until/unless that contract expires, it might be a long wait.

I ordered my copy with CSI when it first came out and I did receive the extra cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
thorphin wrote:

I ordered my copy with CSI when it first came out and I did receive the extra cards.

But have you been able to get a copy of The Cursed Idol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy from CSI. Received their set of cards, but I'd love to have The Cursed Idol set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt. Elias
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always frustrating to me to get a new game and then come to realize that there are these promo cards floating around out there that keep you from having the complete experience. I will have to thumbs down this practice overall.

I know the Kickstarting atmosphere really pushes for exclusives to the backers but what about all the people who didn't even know there was a Kickstarter going on? They wind up with a new product that feels much less than it should. I don't like it really but that's the nature of the beast I am aware.

It's starting remind me of the video game situation where you buy the game but you then have to buy extra expansions if you really want the whole game. But at least, generally, in that situation the expansions are made available usually right away. Different medium I know but there are similarities to the practice.

With games like these ya never know. Here comes the Ebay extreme pricing hunts if you can even find it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
zanti_misfit wrote:
that keep you from having the complete experience

That's simply not the case. The complete experience is what comes in the box. These promos are simply little curiosities that are are fun to collect.

All the promos for Lost Expedition blatantly fly in the face of what the game is about, which is a carefully researched, grounded in reality recreation of the Fawcett expedition, where there were no dinosaurs or supernatural elements. So these promos do not represent the intended experience from the designer, they're just goofy extras that are *not* needed at all to enjoy the game.

This is true for almost every single boardgame promo on the market. They're generally small additions that don't add anything to the core game in terms of quality gameplay (often, they're card ideas that were abandoned during development and brought back solely to exist as sales promotions). They're almost all FOMO bait, and should be viewed as such... fun to collect, but no big deal in terms of the actual quality of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
all 3 promo sets (together) contain 9 cards which is 1/7 from all cards (56+9=63) - it can add a visible variety to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
baltaistehws wrote:
all 3 promo sets (together) contain 9 cards which is 1/7 from all cards (56+9=63) - it can add a visible variety to the base game.

the base game already provides plenty of variety... these cards don't change anything or add new elements of gameplay, they're just variations on the types of cards that already exist, which may or may not appear when you play. they are neat, no doubt, but they are not part of the "complete experience" as zanti put it, especially since they're very thematically out of place in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt. Elias
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinion noted and I agree with you overall but mine is different. The game is not complete without all the content available and for me the experience overall is tainted. And there it is. Unfortunately for me I will not be satisfied completely with this purchase until I'm able to experience all the added content for myself. Thematic, gamechanging or not.

While I can understand early-birds getting the content before others, people who find out about the game much later like myself become quite frustrated because the missing content is no longer available with no release date offered or even guaranteed. And generally those promos are tough to come by later, usually steep prices on Ebay. As a consumer I find that entire buying experience to be most unpleasant. That goes for any game, not just this one.

I take full responsibility for my unhappiness with this and next time I will do a better job of researching any game I'm interested in and if I find that dreaded promo cards have been released but are unavailable to be purchased I will find another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who cares, the promo cards (released to this point) cannot be used in a head-to-head game. So if you only play head-to-head, there's no gameplay need for the cards at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
For anyone who cares, the promo cards (released to this point) cannot be used in a head-to-head game. So if you only play head-to-head, there's no gameplay need for the cards at all.

yup, and IIRC they're not recommended for anything other than solo play, so if you wanted to play co-op, they're not ideal for that either.

again, they're just neat little gimmick cards that couldn't make the cut to ship with the full game, so they're made as offshoot sales promotions. nothing to lose sleep over (IMO, anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

rahdo wrote:
thorphin wrote:

yup, and IIRC they're not recommended for anything other than solo play, so if you wanted to play co-op, they're not ideal for that either.

again, they're just neat little gimmick cards that couldn't make the cut to ship with the full game, so they're made as offshoot sales promotions. nothing to lose sleep over (IMO, anyway)

Hate to correct you, Richard, but the Lost World promo is recommended for cooperative rather than solo.

Incidentally, the promos say they can be used with any version of the game, but the rules say to remove all the "!" cards for head-to-head and all of the promos are "!" cards, so a bit of conflict there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
Hate to correct you, Richard, but the Lost World promo is recommended for cooperative rather than solo.

D'oh! 6 of one, half dozen of the other!

Quote:
Incidentally, the promos say they can be used with any version of the game, but the rules say to remove all the "!" cards for head-to-head and all of the promos are "!" cards, so a bit of conflict there.

Just goes to show that these promo cards (like almost all promo cards) are just simple afterthought ideas/concepts, and not really considered part of the core game. It's very unlikely they've gotten as much testing/balancing/etc as the core game, for instance.

Sorry I keep harping on this, but just trying to let folks know that failure to collect these trinkets doesn't invalidate the quality of the actual game, which these are not really part of!

I'll drop it now. Good luck to all promo hunters out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt. Elias
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
...again, they're just neat little gimmick cards that couldn't make the cut to ship with the full game, so they're made as offshoot sales promotions. nothing to lose sleep over (IMO, anyway)

A position easily taken when one already owns the complete collection. A weak analogy could be something like the rich telling the poor "Don't worry, money doesn't buy you happiness." laugh

If they mean so little to you please PM me and I'll gladly take them all off or your hands so I can have the "complete" collection. Perhaps afterwards I'll feel the same way about them but until I get the chance to experience them within the game for myself I'll be stuck on the outside of the fence looking in.

Again, I simply despise the practice of limited promo cards. I don't enjoy the feeing of buying a new game and right out of the box there's a feeling of incompleteness. (yes I admit I'm a total completionist when it comes to things like this, comics, whatever comes in a set)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zanti_misfit wrote:
rahdo wrote:
...again, they're just neat little gimmick cards that couldn't make the cut to ship with the full game, so they're made as offshoot sales promotions. nothing to lose sleep over (IMO, anyway)

A position easily taken when one already owns the complete collection.

I don't own any promos for TLE. I'd like to have them, sure, because they're cute little trifles, but their absence in no way impacts the quality or fun of the game, because they were *never* part of the game in the first place.

Life is short, enjoy what you have... don't let your fun be ruined by stuff you don't have. Fight the FOMO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt. Elias
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I see, so you've yet to experience them in the game yourself. Interesting... or did you try them at a con?

haha Completionists just don't think that way! I have no choice but to follow your advice since it seems there is no alternative. Thanks for chatting about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zanti_misfit wrote:
Ah I see, so you've yet to experience them in the game yourself. Interesting... or did you try them at a con?

Nope, i've only seen the pictures of them here on BGG, so I can see what they do, and what they do isn't really that big a deal.

Quote:
haha Completionists just don't think that way! I have no choice but to follow your advice since it seems there is no alternative. Thanks for chatting about it.

No problemo... I used to have the same bug as you, actually. After all, I'm the creator of the Worldwide Promo Math Trade, and ran it for years! But over time, I came to appreciate that every promo I got turned out to be a big fat nothing in terms of their actual impact of the game's fun factor. They're simply not worth expending any real energy chasing after, and certainly not worth the FOMO angst.

I hope in time you can free yourself of the completionist shackles you're weighed down by, just like I did. In my experience, you'll enjoy your games more if you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Hi all,

just stepping in to clear up some misconceptions about the promos. There are three sets:

The Cursed Idol, which is exclusive to retailers.
The Lost World, which is exclusive to CSI in North America.
An unannounced third set, which will be commercially available as part of the Brettspiel Advent Calendar 2017 (which I'm pretty sure launches at Spiel).

Each set contains three cards which share a common theme, and are more pulpy/mystical than the actual game. They don't complete the game, as they're all a different feel to the pure survivalist bent of the original.

There are no plans to commercially release the first two at the moment, but we'll have some at cons, and may do a few giveaways here and there.

Quote:
It's starting remind me of the video game situation where you buy the game but you then have to buy extra expansions if you really want the whole game.

Quote:
The game is not complete without all the content available.

The game is the game is the game. The promos are not stuff which was held back to nickle-and-dime people. It was stuff we messed around with in development which felt like it didn't belong in the game, but was fun to commission art for.

In terms of its in-game effect, it's not DLC. It's more akin to an amiibo, or a hat on your Rocket League car.

Quote:
I know the Kickstarting atmosphere really pushes for exclusives to the backers but what about all the people who didn't even know there was a Kickstarter going on? They wind up with a new product that feels much less than it should.

The game wasn't kickstarted! We created the promos to drive sales to retailers we thought provided value to the community, and who were friendly/helpful to us as a company.

That said, I totally agree that splitting the audience for a game into haves and have-nots in terms of in-game content is a terrible idea. If I felt that the promos created a meaningfully different experience for players, we wouldn't have released them as promos.

Quote:

Nope! There's one set for each version of the game: 3 extra cards each for Solo/Co-op/Competitive. You could technically mix the whole lot together, but I would strongly recommend against it because...

rahdo wrote:
Just goes to show that these promo cards (like almost all promo cards) are just simple afterthought ideas/concepts, and not really considered part of the core game. It's very unlikely they've gotten as much testing/balancing/etc as the core game, for instance.

...Rahdo is exactly correct. The co-op and solo cards are particularly swingy. Playing with one set is fun, but less balanced than the core game. Playing them all together will make for a significantly worsened game experience in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.