Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

SUPERHOT: The Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: SUPERHOT Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mascioli
United States
Amityville
New York
flag msg tools
Received this game 1-2 weeks ago after backing it on Kickstarter (Shotgun level) and played it around 10 times (using all the variants suggested in the manual as well as the more difficult versions of a few of the cards).

Component Quality - 8

With the exception of the action figure (which came slightly bent and is just kinda meh), the overall component quality is great. The cards are standard gaming size (making finding the right sleeve really easy) and thick enough to not get damaged through light shuffling. The box is large enough to fit sleeved cards into its slots, although the extra deck box that came included cannot fit the whole game sleeved for some reason (:S). The bullet trackers are pretty useless, but nice to have



Rules - 6

Although the rule book is concise and well-written, the overall rules of the game feel a bit of a mess. Cards go from your hand to the line discard pile and from the line to a new card area (defeated), your discard pile (walked past), or the line discard pile (knocked out) and it feels like a bit much to keep track of, especially in the first couple of plays.

Gameplay - 3

Although SUPERHOT has a pretty interesting resource system, the gameplay is lacking. How the maneuver phase works out (for each card you play, you basically deactivate the rightmost card in the line unless you knock out or destroy them) just makes the game too easy and turns it from a deck builder into a relatively simple balancing act in managing the two decks. The lack of a time limit/deck limit for how long you have to deal with objectives means that the levels don't really scale in difficulty, they just get longer. You can play the game in such a way that you make level two just two playthroughs of level one, each time dealing with one objective. The objective difficulty ranges from trivial (play all cards in your hand) to moderate (with two exceptions: get three bullets in the line and leave just two bullets in the bullet deck. Both of these are the few objectives you could possibly lose during). As soon as you start to learn how to see-saw the power level of the two decks and slightly modify when objectives call for it it becomes near impossible to get to one of the game losing conditions.

Overall - 3

The game feels like a less intricate and less challenging version of Friday. The game felt like it had a lot of promise, but the way the objectives were implemented robs it of a lot of depth and diminishes the playing experience.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Ortlieb
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! You mirror my sentiments exactly. I would have struggled putting it in words as you have. I still plan on teaching my family the game, but it is a bit disappointing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dipplestix wrote:
Received this game 1-2 weeks ago after backing it on Kickstarter (Shotgun level) and played it around 10 times (using all the variants suggested in the manual as well as the more difficult versions of a few of the cards).

Component Quality - 8

With the exception of the action figure (which came slightly bent and is just kinda meh), the overall component quality is great. The cards are standard gaming size (making finding the right sleeve really easy) and thick enough to not get damaged through light shuffling. The box is large enough to fit sleeved cards into its slots, although the extra deck box that came included cannot fit the whole game sleeved for some reason (:S). The bullet trackers are pretty useless, but nice to have



Rules - 6

Although the rule book is concise and well-written, the overall rules of the game feel a bit of a mess. Cards go from your hand to the line discard pile and from the line to a new card area (defeated), your discard pile (walked past), or the line discard pile (knocked out) and it feels like a bit much to keep track of, especially in the first couple of plays.

Gameplay - 3

Although SUPERHOT has a pretty interesting resource system, the gameplay is lacking. How the maneuver phase works out (for each card you play, you basically deactivate the rightmost card in the line unless you knock out or destroy them) just makes the game too easy and turns it from a deck builder into a relatively simple balancing act in managing the two decks. The lack of a time limit/deck limit for how long you have to deal with objectives means that the levels don't really scale in difficulty, they just get longer. You can play the game in such a way that you make level two just two playthroughs of level one, each time dealing with one objective. The objective difficulty ranges from trivial (play all cards in your hand) to moderate (with two exceptions: get three bullets in the line and leave just two bullets in the bullet deck. Both of these are the few objectives you could possibly lose during). As soon as you start to learn how to see-saw the power level of the two decks and slightly modify when objectives call for it it becomes near impossible to get to one of the game losing conditions.

Overall - 3

The game feels like a less intricate and less challenging version of Friday. The game felt like it had a lot of promise, but the way the objectives were implemented robs it of a lot of depth and diminishes the playing experience.

If you get one of the hard objectives in 2nd level you can veto it , and move it to 3rd level.
If you have one of the hard objectives in 3rd level, just do it last.
if you get one of the hard objectives in the first level, game can be a little harder.
I agree with overall argument "balancing game and not deck builder", but my rating will be little higher.
After a few plays Friday seemed "almost solved", but Friday has a really good difficulty scaling and adding one ageing card or reducing starting life was noticeable.
I don't know if changes suggested for adding difficulty to SH, are equally effective.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mascioli
United States
Amityville
New York
flag msg tools
rafal100 wrote:

I don't know if changes suggested for adding difficulty to SH, are equally effective.


I tried every modification listed in the back of the game and replaced the three cards with the harder ks cards with no real change in difficulty.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting discussion. I passed on SH when it was on KS. I looked at it because I like Agent Decker (same designer).

I am curious if you have played Agent Decker and how you fell about it. At first, I thought SH was a retheme, but as I looked at it, I saw it was not, so I am curious what is actually similar to Agent Decker.

I know that each designer will not have each game a hit, but I think Agent Decker is coming to KS soon. I selfishly want that KS to be successful. If SH becomes panned generally, I would not want that to negatively affect the Agent Decker KS if that is a solid game. But I am also all for honest reviews so anyone can make good decisions with their $.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
Interesting discussion. I passed on SH when it was on KS. I looked at it because I like Agent Decker (same designer).

I am curious if you have played Agent Decker and how you fell about it. At first, I thought SH was a retheme, but as I looked at it, I saw it was not, so I am curious what is actually similar to Agent Decker.

I know that each designer will not have each game a hit, but I think Agent Decker is coming to KS soon. I selfishly want that KS to be successful. If SH becomes panned generally, I would not want that to negatively affect the Agent Decker KS if that is a solid game. But I am also all for honest reviews so anyone can make good decisions with their $.


Thanks for this question - in my opinion this two games are different - very different.
About SUPERHOT - we have a lot of good comments and reviews, we have also some which says "superhot is not my kind of game" and of course we fully understand it and thanks to that (as you said) people can make their own decision.
But in general I can't feel like SUPERHOT becomes panned - I even guess it's far far away from that...

About Agent Decker - Kickstarter will be released in 2018 - first halpf of the year. the game will be remastered in graphical level also dev team is working on comments of players.
Thanks!
Irek
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. I have not looked at the reviews of Super Hot (except this one), so I was just expressing my hope for good reviews to help get momentum for Agent Decker. I want Agent Decker to succeed. I am looking forward to that KS. My copy of Agent Decker was a professionally made version, but I think there were some card changes since then. I am glad to get the KS version with all the other changes that will be made.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
Great news. I have not looked at the reviews of Super Hot (except this one), so I was just expressing my hope for good reviews to help get momentum for Agent Decker. I want Agent Decker to succeed. I am looking forward to that KS. My copy of Agent Decker was a professionally made version, but I think there were some card changes since then. I am glad to get the KS version with all the other changes that will be made.


Thanks for this post!
We will be publishing more news about Agent Decker at the start of 2018.
Regards
Irek
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.