Subject: Rahdo's Top 10 Games to get a "2.0" version - MEQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo just aired a TOP 10 list of games he'd like to see a 2.0 version of.

In number 5 he has Middle-earth Quest:

https://youtu.be/hfPucDkrNWY?t=1309

His ideas are, of course, change the Tie End Battle.
But also to have a more streamlined ruleset to reduce the total playing time; and a way to automate the Sauron player, so that the game can be played as a purely cooperative game.

Such a game, he states, would jump to his "Favourite of All Time" games list immediatly.

I agree with this last statement, even if it already is my "Favourite of All Time" game.

I'd be so glad that FFG would listen to Rahdo here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a new version of this as well, having said that the only gripe I really have with the game is the anti-climatic ending. I like the idea of a fantasy one vs all game that is NOT your typical dungeon crawl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this, a new version of MEQ that is shorter and 'better' would be awesome! MEQ is an excellent game, but suffers from FFG overkill, in terms of game play time.
Come on FFG, give MEQ the DOOM treatment, there are a lot of fans of this game out there.

Edit: as an afterthought, it would be cool to have Sauron controlled by an App, to make the game more solo play friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played again recently and think it is great as is. It took 4 hours with 3 playerz which I think is fine for a game of this type. Out of 5 games played we've only had the tie break once and I didn't think it was that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Eddy
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
I love this game and completely agree with Rahdo. Better ending, streamlined mechanisms, and an option to play cooperative/solo while maintaining the ability to play 1 v all would really do wonders for the game. Too bad Cthulhu Games are cheap and the Star Wars license is way more profitable; MEQ 2.0 does not seem very likely. Still, a gamer can dream!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with it as it is. I even like the final battle if it comes to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some aspects could be reworked or expanded, although mostly I wouldn't change the game mechanics.

Adding a Hobbit hero(ine) is a must, of course.

Adapting the game better for 2 or 5/6 players. As is, the game works very well with 3 players in terms of gaming time, and with 4 in terms of interesting things happening. But with just 2 heroes it feels a bit down, and with 3 the waiting time between turns is too long. With just 2 players, it could use some cooperative rules playing against an AI Sauron.

Some way to allow heroes do some actions in someone else's turn, and cooperate more by joining battles or solving Plots or whatever, is something I'd like to see. It would allow for a higher "Fellowship" feeling, and would decrease the sense of boredom once a Hero player has already played his turn: he'd always have to see what others are doing, and how he can interact with them.

In the case of a final duel to solve ties, then it should be a group battle at least.

And developing more individual quests for the heroes, where they have to make choices. Solvind an individual quest should take time from solving Sauron's plots, but should at the same time be necessary to improve the character. Ignoring them should have real consequences. The Android [https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39339/android] game, also by FFG, has a perfect (IMHO) way of handling individual plots against the overall goal.

But yeah, both Cthulhu and Star Wars are more profitable for FFG, and their "Fantasy Setting" is Terrinoth, which they're developing and don't have to pay for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is great as is for me too. As said in a few other threads, just a basic expansion of new plot, quest, and/or mission cards would be great.

I'd prefer this and maybe a revised ruleset over making a whole new version of the game - makes my initial investment seem lessened when new versions replacing the original come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would be in for this.. I've been trying to get my hands on a copy but I just know that as soon as I find a copy they will announce a reprint....

*edited for fat finger mispelling*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We could probably create an automated Sauron player ourselves if we put our minds to it. We would have to break the game just a little bit to do it but we could start by creating some basic AI rules and see what happens.

Something like:
Draw a plot card each turn and place it in such a way to maximize the total turn by turn advance. Place it over an existing plot or in an empty slot.
If the plot will add no additional shift, place it under an existing plot. That way the plot card on top is removed, the one under it becomes active. The AI Sauron never sleeps!

Then run each action: Influence (2 from Mordor, 1 from each other area and then 2 in the pool) and then monster placement, move Minions to the nearest plot cards.

Problem is, it would take some play testing to make it challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
We could probably create an automated Sauron player ourselves if we put our minds to it. We would have to break the game just a little bit to do it but we could start by creating some basic AI rules and see what happens.

Something like:
Draw a plot card each turn and place it in such a way to maximize the total turn by turn advance. Place it over an existing plot or in an empty slot.
If the plot will add no additional shift, place it under an existing plot. That way the plot card on top is removed, the one under it becomes active. The AI Sauron never sleeps!

Then run each action: Influence (2 from Mordor, 1 from each other area and then 2 in the pool) and then monster placement, move Minions to the nearest plot cards.

Problem is, it would take some play testing to make it challenging.

Don't forget combat. As is it could be difficult to create an AI using the current system yet the current system is so good that I wouldn't want to change it too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know what 2.0 of this would be like.

Star Wars: Jakku Quest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
We all know what 2.0 of this would be like.

Star Wars: Jakku Quest

good one, made me look...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2.0 version would require a full rework of the game. I mean he didn't even mention the part where you can completely avoid confrontation and win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Never experienced that. Seems like there is always a minion in my way or as Sauron, I like putting the minions on my favorite plots. The mounted minions are very hard to avoid regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the most exciting thing about this game is the competition against other people (I usually play Sauron). There are so many good full co-ops (heck, go for LOTR LCG even - alive and kicking with tons and tons of materials available). I am not sure if an app could react to what's going on in the game (and in combat - one of the most genius parts of MEQ) as a thinking person.

The game does have a problem of being very long (intentionally so) - LOTR fans of all people should not have an issue with length if it leads to quality . I think it limits the game's widespread appeal so of course the target audience for it is very niche.

I'm happy that this game exists but don't think it should be re-released as something pure co-op and quicker. Leave a good thing be .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kladan wrote:
To me the most exciting thing about this game is the competition against other people (I usually play Sauron). There are so many good full co-ops (heck, go for LOTR LCG even - alive and kicking with tons and tons of materials available). I am not sure if an app could react to what's going on in the game (and in combat - one of the most genius parts of MEQ) as a thinking person.

The game does have a problem of being very long (intentionally so) - LOTR fans of all people should not have an issue with length if it leads to quality . I think it limits the game's widespread appeal so of course the target audience for it is very niche.

I'm happy that this game exists but don't think it should be re-released as something pure co-op and quicker. Leave a good thing be .

Agreed with EVERYTHING above.

Playing Sauron is a lot of fun for me. Many times the hero players have said to me "you really look like a Big Evil, hiding your cards, consulting them and saying "Mmmmm...", placing them face-down in front of you,...".
The Sauron player, besides, is the only one who can act during every player's turn, which makes for the most tense and interesting role in the game.

The long playing time has never bothered me, but I undertand that it is against the majority of the audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just an FYI, the game plays quite well PBEM style on VASSAL if you have the itch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
IMO, this is probably one of the best games out there. Really enjoy this game and it probably would be better with a 2nd edition, though the 1st edition is great in, and of, itself. What's disappointing is the lack of any type of support from FFG with this game. It's like they produced it... and forgot about it. No expansions... nothing. Hopefully we'll see a 2nd edition with support, this time, from FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Hein
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was interesting and thanks for posting it. That said, this reviewer is clearly not a die-hard fan of the game. I would be more interested in knowing what the true fans would like out of a 2.0 MEQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hankdane wrote:
I would be more interested in knowing what the true fans would like out of a 2.0 MEQ.

The chance for heroes to intervine during another hero's turn, so that every player needs to pay attention during another one's turn.

Heroes being able to join forces for a battle,specially against Minions. Minions should probably be a little tougher, then.

A Hobbit heroine.

More items (beside the horse, elven cloack and boat) that are also more useful.

Another crazy but interesting idea someone proposed some time ago in this forum: A dragon.
It could be sort of the Balrog card, something that happens once every 20 games.
My idea is that the dragon shouldn't be an Evil minion, under the command of Sauron. It could be a creature that comes from a location in the North, and moves randomly from there. In each Location it enters, everything in there is destroyed (monsters, plots, favours) or moved away (Minions, Characters, Heroes).
Battling the dragon should be possible, but using the "join forces" mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a print on demand card expansion would be fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I'm the only MEQ fan that doesn't want a hobbit hero. Hobbits are such a minor race that most have never even heard of them, and Bilbo and Frodo were supposed to be the rare exceptions that journeyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
I'm the only MEQ fan that doesn't want a hobbit hero. Hobbits are such a minor race that most have never even heard of them, and Bilbo and Frodo were supposed to be the rare exceptions that journeyed.

And yet hobbits accounted for fully half of the Fellowship after Gandalf fell. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:

Rare, but not unique!

'Not the Gandalf who was responsible for so many quiet lads and lasses going off into the Blue for mad adventures? Anything from climbing trees to visiting elves—or sailing in ships, sailing to other shores!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.