Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother had an interesting take on the missions. Why don't everybody get their own set of missions? Then you could play them as secret or open as you prefer.

Ok, so as it stands there aren't enough mission to do that in a 5 player game, but for a lower player count in would probably be ok.

I'm thinking the real downside MIGHT be that if you had an unlucky draw, you could end up with a bunch of missions that you are not capable of completing, and you opponent getting getting a bunch of easy survey missions or something.

Maybe a draft system might be the solution. Then it would be up to you to make sure you had a mix of places and types of missions. In a sense, a mission draft would also kind of be appropriate. Agencies selecting the missions they see as important, and announcing them to the public.

The extra game-level would also be that you would need to chose a good mix of mission targets and balance high-scoring and easier low-points missions.

What do you people think of this? Joe, was this something you considered at some point of designing the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Alex
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great Idea.
An initial draft (to counterbalace unlucky mission picks) as an "almost hidden agenda" plus I would say a number of missions available to everyone so to have still a race element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or player A could get a bunch of low-point-value missions and complete them all in the first few years, then sit sround being bored while player B does all the Mars missions and wins the game.

Drafting might work better, but it's still tricky. Nobody's going to take a Venus lander/man on/station…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Or player A could get a bunch of low-point-value missions and complete them all in the first few years, then sit sround being bored while player B does all the Mars missions and wins the game.

Drafting might work better, but it's still tricky. Nobody's going to take a Venus lander/man on/station…

That's true to i suppose. Especially the part about never picking a man on X mission. Having to draw a set number of easy/medium/hard only goes so far.

Maybe randomizing the majority of the missions "old-school" and only drafting a few? Then they could also double as the ones you could have "secret".

I don't know. All of this might just mess up the balance, and "fix" something that was never broken...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If doing a draft - what about doing an auction? Also, I'd like a mechanism in which a mission can still be a kind of race.

So, maybe a system like this:
The missions are revealed from hard to easy one after one at the beginning of the game.
For each mission, everyone can bid points. If no one bids, then the mission is a public mission and avaiable to everyone. Otherwise: Once a highest bid has been placed, the agency placing the highest bid has to note the bid amount of points. Every other agency may or may not note down the same negative amount. Every agency who noted down negative points for a given mission is elegible to claim that mission during the game. Agencies who didn't note down negative points may not claim a given mission even if they fulfil the conditions. Every noted negative point is subtracted from

Basically, agencies can make mission exclusive by investing points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is certainly an interesting idea, but two questions:

1. Wouldn't this significantly reduce the player interaction of the game, by taking away the "space race" aspect?
2. Wouldn't this remove the thematic "space race" element, e.g. the first man in space, first on the moon, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.