Too Many Bones» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Stats vs skill dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the most innovative game that i have ever played.
There are so much decision making in this game.

After 20+ over game, mostly non solo game.

I came down to a more streamlined strategy that is
Increase your Stats is always better than getting skill dice.

It doesn't mean that you don't get any skill dice at all.

I mean one of the best build works well with just a minimum skill dice and then max out the attack stats and health or dex stats. It works especially for Range Gearloc. It only apply to 2-4 player game. Doesn't apply to solo play.

Important note:
If you are lucky, you can get loot that ignore bones during training will be great.
Always scout for poison baddie and place them to the bottom of the pile.

For example:

GHILLIE
Skill : Rusted Spikes, Woven Snare, Multi-Arrow
Max out your attack and dex stats. 1 or 2 health stats.
Since you are rolling alot of attack dice. Try to get Fortunate discovery for Camo

PICKET
Skill : Stand ground, Shield form, (1 or 2 Hero skill dice if you fail to train defense during recovery phase or you have excess training pt only)

Max out your defense and dex stats. 1 or 2 health stats.
Since you are rolling alot of defense dice. Try to get innate +1 early.

PATCHES
Skill : Stim Kit, Stim belt, Chain Reactor, Stem Lethal (Distiller only you have excess training pt)

Max out your defense and dex stats. Use Stim lethal to increase your party member health stats.
The more Battle encounter the better. It is a free training.

since you are rolling alot of defense dice. Try to get innate +1 early.
then backup plan for poison darts. Drag out the fight to the fatigue round.

BOOMER
Skill : Sonic Cleanse, Body search, Flashbang only you have excess training pt.

since you are rolling alot of attack dice. Try to get Fortunate discovery for holy hand.

NUGGET
Skill : Long Blade, Combat Proficiency

Since you are rolling alot of attack dice. Backplan for collect stones and revitalize.

Tinker
For Tinker, stats build don't really work so well compare to others.
Skill : Spiderbot 2.0, Firing Arm, Alternator, Build 2.0, Small Profile if you have excess training pt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whipko wrote:
This is one of the most innovative game that i have ever played.
There are so much decision making in this game.

After 20+ over game, mostly non solo game.

I come down to a more streamlined strategy that is
Increase your Stats is always better than getting skill dice.

I am not sure I agree with this. Did you win your 20+ games, playing on Seasoned adventurer?

If you rely on attack dice for your damage, how do you deal with:
- Break
- Flight
- Effects that damage you when you roll bones (e.g. Gendricks' orb)
- Hardy

My strategy involves about 1/3 of the training points going on skill dice, which gives you the flexibility needed to deal with enemies with the above skills.

Of course, your strategy is a lot simpler (roll lots of dice, kill people). But skill dice give you options, which, if used optimally, can get you out of tricky situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
whipko wrote:
It works especially for Range Gearloc.

Ranged Gearlocs really shine when using this strat, if you can get your "utility" (ie. the skill dice George mentions) out of your other Gearlocs.

By "ranged gearlocs", you mean Ghillie.
That's partly true, although I can't imagine not wanting to get Marked Enemy and the Wolverine companion. The former gives you so much offensive potential and the latter can soak up hits.

With regards to Boomer, I think it's worth it to grab Frag grenade and bigger booms. Not to mention that most of the fun of playing Boomer is getting together those components and spending them all at the start of a hard battle for a massive burst turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This depends a lot on the Tyrant you'll be facing and a bit on what baddies they include. You didn't mention Tantrum at all in your discussion and I feel he has some of the best utility skill dice in the game with Way of the Wild being almost vital against Hardy Kobolds and Cripple helping soften blows.

Up against Gendricks and Duster, you'll be sorry if you've gone for a Stat heavy build as Limit will eat away several training points worth of progress each time it triggers. I learned this the hard way against Gendricks.

I see this sort of talk often and still think there isn't necessarily an optimum build strategy that will work in every situation. Just when I think I've got it figured out, the game throws something in (Like Limit) that forces me to rethink everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.