Subject: How good is the game for non campaign play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love a good dungeon crawl, but honestly I never bother with the story and i HATE having to read out loud a load of text before we start playing. Also, I rarely play enough with the same people to get into any campaign or legacy game. I play with many different people all the time.

In this regard, I was really looking foward to Massive Darkness. It seemed like a "chose a scenario, kill monsters, have fun" game. But I've been a little disappointed by the gameplay so far. But it was the only game that promised the whole "gain levels, skills and loot" in a single playthrough. I used to own Descent 2nd ed. but I quickly sold it, because all the good stuff (loot, leveling) wasn't present when you played single scenarios. It was clearly more tailored towards campaign play.

I've read about the complexity and "fiddlyness" of this game. That does'nt bother me. What I'm more worried about, is how well it works if you don't have time to dedicate yourself to an entire campaign, but just play a scenario every now and then, which is what I would mostly be doing (With different people).

What say you, good people of BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan H
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In a single-scenario setup, a lot of time will be required to pick the heroes, use the provided soul points to make them level up, chose their powers, and buy their equipment using the crowns provided. That's before you can start playing the scenario.

If you and your fellow players enjoy this kind of thing then fine, but be aware that there will be a lot to take in before each scenario.

A more user friendly option would be you making this selection by yourself before your guests arrive, and merely make them pick one of the heroes you prepared. I suppose this would work quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I agree with the above, I think the game requires too much setup to be worth it for short runs.

I know you said it didn't work out for you in Descent, but have you tried the app with the Delve DLC? It sounds like what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, this does not sound like the game for you. Besides the previously listed reasons, each scenario (so far) is part of the story. Each scenario has you reading some text from the book of secrets and triggering events and the like.

It sounds like you should investigate getting a copy of the original Descent. It was a fine game that was marred only by the Road to Legend Campaign that exposed it's various weaknesses. But the non-campaign was singular scenarios where characters would level/gear up during the missions and everything was reset between arounds. The only true problem is that it was a 1 vs many game, which might not be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens W.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Trent. Reading out loud parts of the story is an integral part of the game sessions, both before and during the quest. If thats a part in DC's that you hate, as you said, don't go with this one.

Before I had this, I've been playing and loving the original Descent (also recommended by Trent) for many years, including all expansions except for the Road to Legends Campaign expansion.

That seems to be more what you're looking for. Each quest is standalone; upgrading of characters and weapons within one game. It's only a bit fiddlyer than Descent 2nd Edition (and a LOT fiddlier than MD - more like S&S). But the fiddlyness is no problem, you said.

Do be prepared however, for some LONG sessions, especially in the beginning when you have yet to learn those fiddly rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
ssk0909 wrote:
I love a good dungeon crawl...

What are these good dungeon crawls you speak of? It might help people inform you about S&S if we know which crawls you already love.

If you don't like reading stuff, I would pass on this. As you play through the quest, you are required to read the BofS several times to progress or reveal your goals. I'm curious though... would you still mind the reading if there were decisions, rewards, consequences, and game altering things that happen? Maybe you just hate reading flavor story that you don't care about and can ignore to just play through?

The BofS is part of the quest. It's not like you walk over waypoint 1 and then read "As you turn the corner, you see three skeletons chained to the wall. This hallway gives you the creeps." Which I also hate reading. It is more like, "You pull a lever and hear a distant thud. *remove some false wall from the game. *open door x. In additions, spawn gate X is now open and spawn x many monsters there. If you have such and such, then do it differently than if you don't. Or, if you are of such and such a class character, then avoid trap or spring trap. etc"

I don't want to over sell it. There is definitely some flavor text. But I've also found that the text reveals more about the mission than some I've seen in the past.

Other than the reading... Quest 1 wouldn't be much fun just playing as a single, but you could probably level up 2-3 characters. The other quests all have a number of soul points they give you and money to start with. Then I don't know how much leveling you get other than that. I think you basically get artificially leveled up at the start so that the party is strong enough for the quest, but then you might only get a few treasures (random and maybe not good ones) and enough soul points to maybe level up 1 or 2 heroes just once each. I honestly don't think you grow that much in a single level if you play outside the campaign. So, maybe not a good game for you there either.

Descent 1 is a very good one off non-campaign dungeon crawl. However, you are again missing the parts you want. You start with all your hero skills. You really just level up by getting copper, silver, and finally gold treasures that give you better weapons, armor, and items. The heroes are definitely much more powerful at the end of the quest, and you feel that for sure. But, that is all from treasure and not "character upgrades".

Summary: S&S might have good one off play if you don't mind the reading, and if you don't care how much leveling is done during the game. Buuut... there are only 7 quests, which is really minimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.